I used to get so very angry...

by SixofNine 9 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

and frustrated, when I would read JW discussions like these. Now I mostly just feel very, very sad for them...and still a bit frustrated.

Read 'em and weep:

http://www.witnessesonline.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/000009-2.html

http://www.witnessesonline.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000068.html

http://www.witnessesonline.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000072.html

http://www.witnessesonline.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000035.html

http://www.witnessesonline.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000028.html

Edited by - SixofNine on 27 January 2001 22:39:18

• larc
    larc

Thank you six,

I wandered over to their forum a while back but can't get in. I have been out so long that I can't claim a KH of affiliation. So it was nice to go there and lurk. Yey, Larc likes to lurk.

My reaction? About made me gag to read the insipid dialogue. Had to remember that I would have written the same kind of trivia myself years ago.

• thinker
    thinker

6 of 9,
    I read thru the links in order and felt very sorry for those people. While most of them walk around on eggshells worrying about beards, bars, dancing, and white shirts; there are peolple right under their noses who need real help (the single mom with kids).
    You're right. It is sad.
    thinker

• Gozz
    Gozz

Six, I was able to skim through the first two pages of the first link. It's true a lot of the discussions on that board are boriing and somewhat unchallenging - doctrinal issues are left out - which led to me having to reduce my visits to the site. But I consider the discussions about beards interesting, by that board's standards. See, beards is an issue with some congregations - you still can't wear beards and retain your responsibilities where I live - but the policy, whatever it is anywhere, and it's enforcement, is unscriptural. So it is interesting that someone there said "Jehovah loves beards". May be the other discussions are pitiable. This one about beards is not.

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

6 of 9,

Reading those sites, made me realize how TRULY BLESSED I am to be free of that type of thinking. And as you stated those discussion use to make me so angry. But it's a wonderful feeling to now read them and laugh - and to think, I was once a person who use to make a problem out of nothing.

And Thinker you are so correct, they could be using their energy to help someone who really need help.

And can u believe that they would really expect a person to go through with a marriage that they do not feel comfortable with, and to have the nerve to counsel someone about finding their true love. Whoa, we must pray for those lost souls.

Oh I'm SO Happy to be FREE (ME)

Edited by - happytobefree on 30 January 2001 19:45:39

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Gozz,

I read the one about beards also. My husband works outside in the winter, and even in SC - it gets cold and humid for several months. For many years, we would combine vacation time with business seminars where other brothers were also. My husband wouldn't shave. Several elders from Indiana and Florida laughingly told him that his elders "would set him straight when he went back."

My husband didn't shave upon returning home a couple of years ago. Elders removed him from Ministry School - but didn't bother to tell him before and after. March came - he shaved (was kept very short anyway). July - he asked why he was given no talks during all this time. They said he was being reproved for the beard. He said it would have been nice if they had told him, since they didn't - he suggested they just keep him off the school.

In our area, any man who has a beard (or goat-tee)is considered spiritually weak. My husband still has short beard (he also has skin condition which makes shaving painful - sometimes drawing blood.) I told a young brother who works for us about the condition. He was so excited - my husband could get a letter from his doctor explaining condition so that elders would accept him - beard and all. I must have shown my disgust at the necessary groveling suggested - the brother dropped the subject.

Our spirituality is measured in so many ways by the WTBTS - and very few of the ways have anything to do with spirituality. Pity.

waiting

• LDH
    LDH

A few favorite quotes from the above threads...

::So, are large parties OK or not? Are they a conscience matter? After all, I know a sister who had to cancel a party she was planning because her guest list got out, people were inviting people without her knowledge and she had no way of knowing for sure who all was there. The elders (and Circuit Overseer) helped reason with this sister how ill-advised a party of this nature would be.:: (Yes, God forbid someone show up that you don't want there!! You could nnever just say, "I'm sorry, this party was by invitation only.")

::I've even seen other elders and older MS's there having fun and dancing or having a drink. :: (Now *THIS* is a mind-blower! Who woulda thunk it???)

::. We have a bro in our cong who ignored this counsel. He even missed meetings in order to qualify in his chosen trade. He became a well qualified tradesman and is now used extensively in the KH and assembly hall construction work:: (Which just goes to show, you're used if you do have an education, told not to get one if you don't. !?!?!)

Reading these threads is really no different from the cong I attend. There are people there who would be WAY better off being an asetic and denying themselves any pleasure.

Wasn't it, ummmm, *JESUS* who attended a three-day wedding festival and provided the very best wine?

If I went around and told people I was planning a three day wedding reception I'd be hauled away and locked up.

Just proves, you can't rely on what other's comfort level is to make up your mind about entertainment. I have always gone by common sense, which means don't blast your plans about in the open.

Some will be offended no matter what. I'm not worried about 'stumbling' them; they will find something to stumble over easily enough, no?

Seven, thanks for a really pathetic thread. ;)

• amicus
    amicus
    Now I mostly just feel very, very sad for them...and still a bit frustrated.

SixofNine,
    I went to WOL after you posted these links. I'd never visited that site before.
    At first I laughed at what I read, then I started to get angry- angry at the WTBTS. I felt like grabbing and shaking the posters. I wanted to yell "HEY! WAKE UP!". It's like they're drugged- the WT drug (thanks, JT). As I continued to read I began to feel sorrow. I couldn't stay much longer...it wasn't all that long ago that I was under the influence of the WT drug. After I logged off I started thinking about the posters, and about the witnesses I still know. Most of these people are good, honest, kind and sincere. They have been tricked into believing that they are serving the God of the Bible, when in fact they are serving men- the Brooklyn autocrats.
    I think, like you, I feel mostly saddness at this waste of human lives. Coupled with that saddness is disgust for the men that are perpetrating this deception.

Edited by - amicus on 30 January 2001 18:39:42

Edited by - amicus on 30 January 2001 18:41:38

• trevor
    trevor

Hi amicus,

Firstly thanks for you remarks and the quote under the subject 'Jesus second coming'it was very good.

I wanted to second your last paragraph above. I used to be angry with all JWS but now my anger has faded. I feel some towards the WT society it's self but great pity for most of it's confused members.

My father is a die hard elder and my younger brother is a layed back elder. He still cleans windows at 41 and lives in a tiny terrace. There is nothing wrong with that in it'self if it is a lfestyle choise but he is waiting for the end and has joked about having my house when I have 'gone' at Armageddon. We have remained friends but I feel graet saddness for him and his wasted talent. Like so many others he has been tricked.

trevor

• larc
    larc

Six,

Since some get into that site, could you post more of their threads?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit