Human Devolution? Interesting Article...

by AGuest 233 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

Are humans really getting dumber (may you all have peace)? There have many positions on this for both sides. Saw an announcement on the news this morning and was intrigued: could it be true? I personally think it is, given - well, something I won't share here due to the potential to take the discussion in a direction I don't intend - as well as what many US students no longer know... or need to do TO know... and the increasing emphasis on the strength of the body/physical vessel over the mind. I cannot tell you how many people I know who don't read... well, pretty much anything (particularly JWs, which blew my mind - most of those I knew didn't even read the WTBTS publications, except perhaps the week's WT study article, and then only by skimming. I digress).

These things have stood as "evidence" to ME on the matter that strength of MIND is not considered a desirable virtue by many (heck, some even consider strength of thumbs more important - LOLOL!).

Now, though, it appears that there is scientific evidence that says it is true, we are literally getting dumber:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/human-beings-stupider-research-article-1.1200985?localLinksEnabled=false

Since there is now tangible evidence, this means our intellectual devolution is no longer a theory... but a FACT. Right?

Curious as to what others think on this.

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

Edited to add: I also think the article debunks the notion that belief in God is what dumbs man down; rather, it seems to be saying that reliance on science is the culprit. What do you think? I look forward to your comments!

• sabastious
    sabastious

People are getting dumber and smarter simultaneously. That's why society is even more class based than it's ever been at least in my country of the USA. The problem is the breakdown of the family unit which is directly under attack by mainstream religion. Any outfit that sets precedents on the family damages the family. Humans are dynamic and adaptable and should be given a large measure of liberty in regards to the raising and management of families. For instance many people think that gay couples serve as inadequate parents. This is a myth and it really destroys the self confidence of gay people as parents. They have to live with a chip on their shoulders at best. If we simply gave up on the prejudice and accepted the gay familes into our country officially it would socially and economically fortify us as a people.

Marriage is extremely important for the stability of any population. Take the two examples of a child born out of wedlock and one that is not. The former is going to have a harder time going through life than the latter. Simply because stability of family is what sets the stage for accomplishment later in life. Think about the differences between an adult with an unhealthy relationship with their parents and one with a healthy. The comparison is stark both in ideology and the raw numbers. The former will have unnecessary burdens that will serve to slow them down or even rob them of opportunity.

So, there are a lot of contributing factors to why many people seem to be devolving, but the main one, imo, is the breakdown of the family. Because if a child is given a loving, caring and withstanding foundation they actually will outshine past generations tenfold at least. We see this, but it is rare because for whatever reason or other the family unit in my country has been severely weakened. It's up to us as a people to bite through that obstacle and create our own prosperity instead of being pulled every which way by a flawed modern society.

-Sab

• AGuest
    AGuest

Thank you for your comment, dear Sab (peace to you!). I can see how increasing family dysfunction in the US would contribute to the phenomenon here. I tend to agree with the author of the study, though that "mutations in the human brain — brought on by advances in society that have made survival less stressful — are eroding our intellectual and emotional capabilities." One example is of that is telling time: we've gone from, say, the sundial (which required some knowledge as to the position of the sun)... to the analog face (which required some knowledge of math, to calculate the position of the "hands"... to digital, where simply reads the numbers, rather than calculate the time.

What I find interesting, though, is that the author candidly stated it was this, advances to make life less stressful. I think THINKING is stressful for many (in addition to physical labor)... and so our efforts to think LESS... and so find ways to help us DO that IS the reason. I encounter it almost everyday and it not only puzzles and perplexes me, but sometimes irritates me. People don't WANT to think... and there are a whole lotta folks out there that KNOW this... an capitalize, even prey on it. Not to take it in a certain direction (no, seriously, but I find it appropo), that was one of the things that bothered me about the WTBTS - thinking was anathema. They did NOT want you to THINK; indeed, they not only discouraged it, taught it out of folks, but meted out their own forms of punishment if you did it (more than they wanted you to, which was VERY minimal). I am a [heavy] thinker (and INTJ) and so this never worked for me. Eventually, we would have had to part ways.

Anyway, apparently the author doesn't think we have much to worry about; the progression is slow. The following comment made me laugh, though:

"... we may be able to magically correct any mutation that has occurred in all cells of any organism at any development stage."

I thought that was funny!

Again, thank you for your comment... and peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• TD
    TD

Human brain size has been shrinking for a long, long time.

One theory is that the protective nature of human society and technology reduces the need for intelligence.

And that kinda, sorta makes sense. Even if we go back just a century and a half, it took a fantastic amount of determination, ingenuity and intelligence for humans to survive in many places. The winter of 1880 - 1881 (Partially documented by Laura Ingalls Wilder) comes to mind.

• AGuest
    AGuest

I LOVE Laura Ingalls Wilder's books, dear TD (peace to you and thanks for your comments!) - read them ALL as a child... and most to MY children... and so I know what you mean with that comparison. I guess I'm just trying to reconcile the claims that we are getting smarter (and I agree, SOME of us are, but certainly not the majority - indeed, it seems to me like a very small, even elite, minority)... with such brain shrinkage. I mean, we do have our sundry entertainment shows like "Survivor" that show us that some folks might be able to make it the wild (well, the wild to the extent there are TV camera crews, medics, and even food at the ready, if such become "necessary"), but most of us would perish within a day or two - LOLOLOL! Heck, the sight of some fuzzy 8-legged or reptilian bedfellow would be enough to send some folks straight into cardiac arrest within a few minutes of isolation - LOLOLOL!

(Which reminds me: if you've never seen the movie "A Soldier's Sweetheart", with Keifer Sutherland... you should consider checking it out. Girls surely should - it's not your usual "Becky Does the Barracks" kind of flick. Not in the least! I digress...).

Anyway, no matter how "brawny" we are (or think we are) we can't correspondingly THINK ourselves out of many of the conundrums we find ourselves in in the "civilized" world, let alone the wild. I think Vietnam, some of the more recent "desert" skirmishes, and certainly an 11-year long war with "intellectually inferior" (yeah, right!) tribal peoples show this.

Again, thanks for your comments... and peace to you!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Yes I agree that it is true as a whole of our spiecies. But this will not significantly effect our gaining more understanding of the world and developing more and more in creative fields.

So the need to have the best hunting skills has been replaced by: better exploitation of enviroment skills,, a long with better and more refined social skills(learning how to live together), thus causing brain computing power not to be that important of an issue to survival as it once was when we were blood thirsty savages fighty for our lives every day.

• xchange
    xchange

A newspaper hardly stands for 'tangible evidence' and might I indulge you to define your version of 'theory'? Have you read the actual research paper? Do you know the study design parameters? Was this a qualitative or quantitative study?

Remember, your conclusions are not a path to the evidence you wish to support your conclusions.

Just hoping to keep the rhetoric WAY down and a more rational, critical approach in throwing out opinions on a study that surely is multi-paged compared to a few paltry words in a newspaper article.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I wonder what relationship big head/brain size plays over into choosing who to mate with these day now that we need less computing power brains?This could also be another way the trend can be nuetralized in our evolutionary devlopement or at least another factor in the equation as is choosing to mate with a good provider/ etc....other factors,looks good and healthy and yummy etc....

Shelby,

Since you brought up the subject of deevolution, I thought I should give credit to the original proponents of this concept:

While we're at it, here's some classic DEVO music that addresses deevolution, and, if I dare say so, this music is STILL the shit, 30 + years later!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRguZr0xCOc

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Thank you for your comment, dear Sab (peace to you!). I can see how increasing family dysfunction in the US would contribute to the phenomenon here. I tend to agree with the author of the study, though that "mutations in the human brain — brought on by advances in society that have made survival less stressful — are eroding our intellectual and emotional capabilities." One example is of that is telling time: we've gone from, say, the sundial (which required some knowledge as to the position of the sun)... to the analog face (which required some knowledge of math, to calculate the position of the "hands"... to digital, where simply reads the numbers, rather than calculate the time.

The article is crap, imo. It's a convoluted opinion to a problem with a simple solution. I don't like the idea of the brain biologically decreasing in intellectual capacity because that is contrary to human nature itself. We by nature transcend our environments. The brain not only learns and classifies environment it also seeks out to improve conditions of it. This would mean that the brain, as an evolutionary prototype, can only go in one direction and that would be one of progress.

This particular study is a perfect example of how humanity seeks to improve it's environment. We have identified a problem and that is that we are devolving, but that is only because we have a devolving class and the classic transcendent class. We also live in a democratic society where all people have an equal weight in the manner of voting for public servants. So, if the transcendent class becomes substantially smaller than the devolving class, in a democratic society, you will have a devolving government, which is what we just to happen to have. We shouldn't be looking at the brain as a single entity that is exactly the same in any given circumstance. Which society the brain happens to be in will greatly change exactly what that brain is. Sure it's got the same nuts and bolts, but that's like saying that all computers are the same because they all have operating systems and processors. While true, the personal computers of people vastly differ in brand and software preference. If we identify a decrease in total processing it could mean that people have too many vulnerabilities in their setups. Maybe they need a different type of technical education and that would fix the problem.

Like I said the problem is the class distictions that is created by the breakdown of the family. This is not a philosophical argument it's a genetic argument. Regardless of all that is thrown into our DNA family bonds are what keeps societies together. For example the Watchtower has to use a consistant and grueling mind control regimen to get their members to work against the DNA grain so to speak.

From a religious perspective we call this Love and it is the essence of God. Using pure science the brain is nothing but the sum of what evolution had in store for it. Using religious philosophy we see the brain as connected to a higher source of power. I think a safe compromise would be just to speak in genetic terms and call Family the strongest influence to humanity. Good evidence that the Love being explained through "genetics" actually transcends genetics is that the family bond is actually not exclusive to blood ties. A foster or step child can be as well regarded as their non blood sibling counter parts and even more well regarded. This is all neatly packaged in a science called Attachement Theory.

Attachment theory describes the dynamics of long-term relationships between humans. Its most important tenet is that an infant needs to develop a relationship with at least one primary caregiver for social and emotional development to occur normally. The attachment theory explains how much the parents relationship with the child influences development. John Bowlby developed this theory of attachment after working as a psychiatrist where he treated many emotionally disturbed children. This kind of work allowed Bowlby to realize the importance of the child’s relationship with their mother in terms of their social, emotional and cognitive development. He finally had proven his belief about the link between early infant separations with the mother and later maladjustment, and Bowlby was able to formulate his attachment theory. (McLeod, 2009)

Infants become attached to individuals who are sensitive and responsive in social interactions with them, and who remain as consistent caregivers for some months during the period from about six months to two years of age. When an infant begins to crawl and walk they begin to use attachment figures (familiar people) as a secure base to explore from and return to. Caregivers' responses lead to the development of patterns of attachment; these, in turn, lead to internal working models which will guide the individual's perceptions, emotions, thoughts and expectations in later relationships. With a secure base the child is able to have a sense of belonging. The caregiver strongly influences how the child manages their feelings which is important because emotional regulation is related to how children learn to be independant learners and how well they get along with others. (Dolby, 2003) Separation anxiety or grief following the loss of an attachment figure is considered to be a normal and adaptive response for an attached infant. These behaviours may have evolved because they increase the probability of survival of the child.

Research by developmental psychologist Mary Ainsworth in the 1960s and 70s reinforced the basic concepts, introduced the concept of the "secure base" and developed a theory of a number of attachment patterns in infants: secure attachment, avoidant attachment and anxious attachment. A fourth pattern, disorganized attachment, was identified later.

In the 1980s, the theory was extended to attachment in adults. Other interactions may be construed as including components of attachment behaviour; these include peer relationships at all ages, romantic and sexual attraction and responses to the care needs of infants or the sick and elderly.

In the early days of the theory, academic psychologists criticized Bowlby, and the psychoanalytic community ostracised him for his departure from psychoanalytical tenets; however, attachment theory has since become "the dominant approach to understanding early social development, and has given rise to a great surge of empirical research into the formation of children's close relationships". Later criticisms of attachment theory relate to temperament, the complexity of social relationships, and the limitations of discrete patterns for classifications. Attachment theory has been significantly modified as a result of empirical research, but the concepts have become generally accepted. Attachment theory has formed the basis of new therapies and informed existing ones, and its concepts have been used in the formulation of social and childcare policies to support the early attachment relationships of children.

It's the family dynamic that creates the want for attachment. I have some 3D images of my child in utero and I could tell that he was emotionally attached to the placenta. It's a hunch, not a scientific conclusion, but have you ever seen pictures of the little baby hand coming out of the mother's stomach in a C-section grabbing onto the surgeon's finger? Imo, that's because we're hard wired to emotionally attach to what ever we find first. In the delivering room with my son for the first time we were immediately developing that family attachment. What if I wasn't there for that? Then I would have lost out on the benefits of the bonds that created at those precious moments. If you take a look at the out of wedlock birth statistics they are staggering in the USA. This doesn't mean that the fathers are not there when their baby's are born, but think of it this way: a man who is willing to put himself in a position where an accident can occur and he creates life, he should be committed to the mother. The way we commit in our culture is to get engaged and then married. It's a simple way of maintaining order both legally and emotionally for the parties involved. If that's not present when the baby is born that could pose a problem. If the man is not properly "attached" to his mate upon the birth of a child he could run, and they do I have seen and heard about so many that do. So, they are there for that initial biological attachment, but then run which just snaps it off like a twig and creates long withstanding emotional trauma for the child. Then when the child grows up they have abandonment issues and will require therapy and possibly a medicative cycle in their life. This is ALL not condusive to a healthy environment for the brain when you take these scenarios and create a societal norm.

The point is this kind of societial trauma cannot sustain forever and eventually you are going to see ill effects. However it shouldn't be presented like some uncontrollable change in bioscience. It's something that can and is being worked with not only by us as a society largely behind the scenes, but by God himself defined as the Entity who has always been there from the beginning.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit