The Custom of having Congregation Meetings

by Quarterback 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quarterback
    Quarterback
    The Wt study (Feb study edition) for today stated "The Jews had established a pattern

of worship. They regularly met together

in synagogues or at open-air meeting

places. They sang songs, prayed, and

discussed the Scriptures. Similar practices

are followed in Christian congregations

today." ....Is that really accurate? Did the Jews regularly have this Synagogue meeting each week?

• fukitol
    fukitol

Why are JW's boasting about modelling themselves on Jews and not Christians?

The first century Christians predominantly met in HOMES. So what does the Watchtower Society do - cancels HOME book studies. They cancelled the very thing they should have retained if they want to make claim to following any first century pattern.

But since when are the JW's modelled on first century Christianity? They are a quasi Jewish cult that constantly harks back to the OT. They even took their name from the OT.

• Magnum
    Magnum
    If the Jews did do that, I bet they had real discussions with questions allowed. JWs do not. Meetings are simply indoctrination sessions during which the org boasts about itself. everybody has to shake his head in agreement, no questions/disagreements/honest criticisms are allowed, and most of the material considered is childish fluff.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Plenty of Jews today do their fellowshipping in home meetings. The synagogs are for religion and education approved of by the 'authorities'. However, small groups would get together over coffee/food and discuss things in a deeper way, both religious and philosophical. I have had the privilege of attending both synagogs and groups of studious faithful who wanted to go deeper into the scripture and other writings. I have seen the same in Islam. The informal discussions usually have more politics woven in-philosophies of how religous and political issues mesh-or if they truly can and how much compromise is beneficial vs comproMISING.

I have learned a lot more in those discussions-in all three faiths than ever in a synagog, mosque or church. If not always what I agreed with, it always gave me more to study about,think about and pray about-because they were honest conversations, rather than ones meant to please "authority" or follow the party line, so tospeak.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Quarterback, check out my analysis of this JW "belief" here:

Don't Miss the Meetings - Hebrews 10:24, 25 Re-examined

• done4good
    done4good

I am not sure if the pre-Christian era Jews met regularly or not, and equally sure the WT does not know either. However, that has never stopped them from cherry picking bible verses to make their point.

The WT at best tries to present itself outwardly as "Christian", but would much rather use the OT to enforce their rhetoric. Too many conflicting messages in the NT for them. The "friendlier" parts of the NT just do not sit well with the JW leadership.

It's all crap anyway.

d4g

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, and the ancient Jews also killed and burned animals, splashed blood on houses, allowed misogyny, waged bloodthirsty wars etc.....

Lets do all of that too?

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Thanks, friends for all your comments.

Good post Oublette. I have marked it for later

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

D4G, excellent analysis and summary

Stuck, that's a really good reasoning point.

QB, you're welcome.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

fukital - "Why are JW's boasting about modelling themselves on Jews and not Christians?"

'Cause the WTS is really down with the vengeful fire-and-brimstone OT God, and there's way more useful rules in the OT (compared to the NT) that they can pick and choose from.

BTW, your username is awesome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit