Today's WT

by OneFingerSalute 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    P5] The book Evangelism in the Early Churchstates: “Probably no period in the history of the world was better suited to receive the infant Church than the first century AD . . . By the second century Christians . . . began to argue that it was a divine providence which had prepared the world for the advent of Christianity.”

Of course by the second Cent. they were supposed to be "Apostate" so why quote them?

7]In some ways, the first-century Roman world brought benefits to Christians. For instance, there was the Pax Romana, or Roman Peace. The vast Roman Empire imposed stability on people in its realm.........
    “Never in human history had there been so long a span of general tranquility, and never again was peace to be maintained so steadily among so many people.”

There is more , but I was amazed at the u-turn they have made, after telling us for years about the hardships the first cent Christians had to endure . After all Paul did tell us :

2 Cor 11. 21-27

But if others act boldly—I am talking unreasonably—I too act boldly. 22 Are they Hebrews? I am one also. Are they Israelites? I am one also. Are they Abraham’s offspring? I am also. 23 Are they ministers of Christ? I reply like a madman, I am more outstandingly one: I have done more work, been imprisoned more often, suffered countless beatings, and experienced many near-deaths. 24 Five times I received 40 strokes less one from the Jews, 25 three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I experienced shipwreck, a night and a day I have spent in the open sea; 26 in journeys often, in dangers from rivers, in dangers from robbers, in dangers from my own people, in dangers from the nations, in dangers in the city, in dangers in the wilderness, in dangers at sea, in dangers among false brothers, 27 in labor and toil, in sleepless nights often, in hunger and thirst, frequently without food, in cold and lacking clothing.
    NB Wait 'til next week when they say similar things about our own "critical times" !
  • TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Actually, it was one of the Church Fathers who speculated on this,quote

"Expressing his viewpoint, third century theologian Origen wrote: “It would have hindered Jesus’ teaching
    from being spread through the whole world if there had been many kingdoms . . . because men everywhere would have been compelled to do military service and to fight in defence of their own land. . . . Accordingly, how could this teaching, which preaches peace and does not even allow men to take vengeance on their enemies, have had any success unless the international situation had everywhere been changed and a milder spirit prevailed at the advent of Jesus?”

and the article said it was a possibility. So blame it on the Church Fathers.

• OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute

Added two-cents.

First section states, "To what extent God maneuvered first century developments the Bible does not say," and then proceeds to imply that factors to be considered were the result of God's desire to see the preaching done.

The second section quotes some un-named "reference" book as stating that, "Never in human history had there been so long a span of general tranquility, and never again was peace to be maintained so steadily among so many people." Yet just a few short years ago the WT mined quotes saying that 1914 ENDED a period of unrivaled peace and tranquility.

The third section was about Roman roads etc. being so great for early Christians to use, and also made the point of how safe roads were because criminals feared R where the were that Paul was in so much danger from?

The fourth section bragged about the "unity" of Christians using one common language, Greek. Now with English being pretty well common in business use world wide today I wonder how the spin will be put on unity from the 700 languages that the WTB&T$ brags about translating into?

Next up came Roman law. The conductor made a point of asking if it is wrong to refuse to take part in secular government affairs and still use all the benefits of government? So many greedily offered up the idea that using government assistance etc. was only right. But NEVER perform any other duties of a citizen!

Then they had a section about the benefit of Jews being scattered all over know world at that time. The terms Christians and Jews were pretty well used interchangeably. And of course they made appoint of saying that Jews met in synagogues and so JW's meet in kingdom halls to follow the Jews pattern.

The last section was a chance for commenters to praise the governing body as God channel to prepare the nations for the teachings of God. and the conductor claimed that gb member Splane said God used the Catholic church to spread the use of the Bible during the 1900 year between Christ and 1914.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The WT lesson was one of the most pointless, pseudo-intellectual "history" lessons that I have had to mentally endure for some time.

Some paragraphs contradicted one on the next pages. Imagine that! Origen was given props for saying ( his viewpoint ) that Roman roads were needed because it was "impossible" for the gospel to spread with out them! Heads bobbed in delight and Jeehoober was praised for having the Romans build roads for the preaching work!! To what extent did he do so, we don't know... Let's not speculate.

Then, Plato is dissed for writing about how it is "impossible" to know the Creator or reach EVERYONE to educate the about the Creator! Well, he obviously forgot that "with God all things are possible!!!" I guess Origen needed to be reminded of that scripture! LOL!!

In review:

Jeehoober intervened in the Roman Senate to have roads built so that Xians could go in field circus with "books" that they probably invented, which is just like MEPS and the I-phone!!

Oh yeah, then an Eldub says, "The preaching work has been accomished!" Really?!?! Someone needs to tell Jeehoober so he can start the GT!! So will the GB change their stance and say that the "good news" will reach everyone in some way?!?! What a marvelous way to explain why the Big A is delayed!!

All the dubs agreed that we should obey the FDS and keep going because we will look back and see Jeehoobsters blessing on our efforts! Also, the END is really close/soon/around the corner!

Friggin Watchtards!!!!

DD

• stan livedeath
  • stillin
    stillin

So the same God that paved the roads so that the kingdom message could be spread to the far-flung corners of the earth is the same God who confused the languages at ancient Babel.

Weird

• B4Right
    B4Right

Hey you are missing the point of this weeks "lesson"( just kidding) - technology and invention is what "GODS" people is taking advantage of to spread the kingdom message.

I think there is a scripture somewhere that gods people will drink the milk of the nations or something to that affect.

our WT conductor said Christians were having the same meetings we have today!

quotes from anyone pagan or not is only used to suit the organization- its " the word" in " print" that makes them JW law!

did you catch this in par. 17 for next week:

"Clearly we have strong evidence of Gods blessing. Of course, Jehovah does not rely on our help to accomplish his purposes. Yet our loving Heavenly Father allows us to be his fellow workers thus enabling us to show our love for him and for our neighbor."

yeah this sounds like they are spirit - directed alright!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Someone commented about the growth of JW's and how it's a sign of Jehovahs backing... I should have raised my hand and asked if he is helping the Muslims too because they are taking off like mother f$#@ing gangbuster!!
  • WingCommander
    WingCommander
    Why would God need roads? I mean, I thought the very stones themselves would cry out the message of the Lord? Make up your minds!
  • talesin
    talesin

Leave it to the JWS to give their dog, ermmm, I mean "god", all the credit. : P

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit