STRATTON Mayor Pissed Off

by MadApostate 9 Replies latest social current

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

March 23, 2002

Town take its no-door-to-door pitch to the top

By Francis X. Clines

STRATTON, Ohio — This village's wariness of the door-to-door solicitors denounced locally as "flim-flam men" has drawn the scrutiny of the U.S. Supreme Court, a fact that turns out to be a cause of local pride rivaling the steak dinners at Abdalla's Tavern.

"But we'll have even more pride if the court finally agrees with us," said John M. Abdalla, the mayor, magistrate, steakhouse host and tireless factotum in this village of 277 residents. His 27 years in office have made Abdalla the patriarch of Stratton as it stands in judgment before the nation's high court.

"Our ordinance doesn't pick on Jehovah's Witnesses," Mayor Abdalla insisted, touching the heart of case No. 00-1737, Watchtower Bible and Tract Society v. Village of Stratton.

He denied the history of friction with the town that the Witnesses have complained of and contended that a solicitor's right to free speech could be legally limited at the porch of a resident of Stratton who feels harried by the solicitation.

Four years ago, the town board passed an ordinance requiring solicitors of any product or cause to identify themselves first at town hall and obtain a permit. They would also have to respect any resident's sign against doorway sales pitches.

No one has ever been denied a permit or faced the $100 fine, the mayor said. But a Jehovah's Witnesses congregation in nearby Wellsville challenged the ordinance, saying they had a free-speech right to go door to door in their missionary work.

"We do not believe anyone needs to go to the government for permission to speak to their neighbors," Paul D. Polidoro, the Witnesses lawyer, told the Supreme Court.

In maintaining order with his one-man police force, Abdalla, a retired boilermaker, complains that he has been mightily tested over the years not so much by Jehovah's Witnesses knocking with questions about the hereafter as by the stream of drummers offering hard-sell bargains for the here and now.

The mayor said strangers pester his constituents with sales pitches for frozen meat, paste jewelry, slicers, dicers and what-all else.

The town, hard by the Ohio River on the eastern edge of the state, where its border meets those of Pennsylvania and West Virginia, is easy pickings for such salesmen, the mayor said. They move on as fast as they materialize from the blur of traffic on State Highway 7, often vanishing before Abdalla can spy them from his tavern.

"Some guy at 9:30 the other night knocking on doors, selling Kirby Sweepers," Abdalla said. "I had a complaint call and had him picked up and gave him a stern lecture. Then comes a complaint at 10:30, a guy peddling perfume. And two guys the next night selling vinyl siding. I tell you, it never stops."

Stratton's permit ordinance was upheld by a federal appeals court but caught the eye of the Supreme Court. Is the permit requirement a "censorial weapon," as the Witnesses contend, or a defense of a resident's privacy, as Abdalla believes?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints filed a friend-of-the-court brief earlier this year saying that cities nationwide are increasingly trying to prohibit door-to-door religious proselyting and that it is critical their missionaries proselyte "without first having to comply with burdensome regulations that impose prior restraints on religious expression."

The justices' questions suggested that, indeed, their ultimate concern involved the right of free speech.

"If I only could have answered those questions," Abdalla said, recalling his visit to the court last month and lamenting that he had to sit silently while some clearly skeptical justices posed stinging questions.

He recounted how Justice Sandra Day O'Connor asked whether children were required to register for Halloween.

"Then Sandra says, 'Do I have to get a permit to borrow a cup of sugar from my neighbor?' " he added, raising his own question of how badly misunderstood could Stratton be.

"This is a small community, less than a mile long, with a lot of retired elderly who want to enjoy the rest of their life and not be bothered by these guys," he said. "People buzz in and buzz out from the four-lane highway. They come with fake Rolexes, fool's gold, and all the rest."

Abdalla drove to court in Washington with his son, John, and some of his eight grandchildren. The next night, he was back at the tavern when "this guy in an orange jacket comes in.

" 'Want to buy some steaks, some meat?' the guy says."

The mayor grinned. "I gave him h---! 'I just come back from the Supreme Court fighting people like you,' I tell him. He said he was from Pittsburgh. But he had a Cleveland Browns jacket on. Imagine the guy trying to flim-flam me like that?"

• patio34
    patio34

Interesting, MA. Thanks for the article.

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

btttt

• JT
    JT

This man is a JackA$$ and so is the town lawyer-
    here we are living in the year 2002 and these guys have no clue as to how the legal system works-

my objection to this clown is his MANNER AND METHOD-

as an elected official it is clear that he doesn't know how the politcial game is played, for him to come down with direct statements about the jw in his ELECTED CAPCITY is dumb, and it's dumber for the town lawyer who they are paying not to tell him so if he hasn't

the WT lawyers pretty much had this case in the bag from day one

the town law that they wrote was VERY POORLY written, esp if it has to stand up to being tested by the court.

the transcipt of quotes from the Washington Post here in DC had the Court laughing and poking fun at those Hill- Billies as it were

he needs to try a different angle if he wants to be successful

I still say using the DO NOT CALL program that wt offers is the best way to go and it WILL COST THE CITY NOTHING

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Below is a copy of a letter written by the mayor's son;

Subject: The Village of Stratton's mayor's son speaks
    Date: Mar 1 2002 3:24 PM

Speculative Discrimination?

The US Supreme Court heard the case of Jehovah's Witnesses' vs. Village of Stratton on Tuesday in which the religious organization claimed that they were denied their constitutional right to free speech. The justices debated both sides of the issue between the two parties and rigorously questioned both representing attorneys to clarify the ordinance that the village passed in 1998.

Due to Stratton, Ohio's unique geographic location on the mountainous Ohio River, with easy access in and out of town along four-lane Route 7, the village has received hundreds of traveling peddlers and solicitors over the last 40 years, selling everything from driveway repairs to perfumes to frozen meats (with inspection quality and safety standards often unknown) by shady con men and other valley drifters. The small Ohio River town is home to about 300 residents, mostly retired senior citizens, formerly factory workers, and many have been visited repeatedly and exhaustively over the years. The elderly who live there are prime targets of the "Flim-Flam Man," according to the undisputed testimony of a Consumer Fraud expert from the Ohio Attorney General's office.

Getting a knock on the door at 9:00pm from the unwelcomed salesman was not uncommon for the retired and sometimes single residents. Dinner-time interruptions were exasperating. People who work the midnight shift in the local mills didn't need awakened by the knock at the door when sleeping, before getting up for work.

The citizens of the town finally decided to take action. The village council established an ordinance requiring solicitors of all types - from girl scouts selling cookies to political candidates seeking exposure - to register at the clerk's office, before soliciting door-to-door. The intended purpose was to be able to establish the identity of those who want to enter uninvited onto private property within the village. It did not regulate other methods of soliciting, such as soliciting at the post office (where every citizen must come to get his mail) or soliciting on the public streets and sidewalks, or soliciting in the public parks, or by mail, internet and telephone. It narrowly targeted only those solicitors who come uninvited to your home, when you don't expect them.

Safety issues and privacy rights were the main concerns of these common hardworking people. The permit is available to anyone, and of the 15 requests received by the clerk's office, none have been turned away for any reason.

The Jehovah's state in their case that this ordinance prohibits them from engaging in their requisite activities for recruitment by going door to door. In fact, the Witness's have never requested a permit in order to go door to door in the village since the ordinance was established. "And if they had requested one they certainly would have been granted one" says the Mayor.

Justice Ginsburg was the only Justice to even question this fact - why is the case being heard in the first place? The Jehovah's claim their rights had been violated, when, in fact, they are merely speculating that they might be denied by the ordinance. They have not even tried the ordinance procedures to see how they work and how they benefit the solicitor. They just filed suit. And to be able to file a complaint and end up in the US Supreme Court based on a mere speculation is an event that ought to pause the court. Imagine the flood of cases if you could sue someone based on the mere speculation that they might treat you badly or do you harm. The Jehovah's accused Stratton, without ever even giving Stratton a try.

The Jehovah's claim that the ordinance requires a person to "get the government's permission" before engaging in door-to-door solicitation. In fact, the ordinance does not require the solicitor to ask for permission. He must merely "register" his intent to solicit, by filling out a simple registration form. That registration form is not a request for permission. It is a declaration. The solicitor declares that he his going to solicit door-to-door, and there is nothing that the Village can do about it.

By registering, the solicitor gives himself the permit. The Mayor has no discretion to grant or deny the permit, so long as the solicitor fills out the registration form. A completed form is an automatic trigger to the issuance of the permit.

The solicitor has all of the power and discretion. The Village reserves none to itself. If you want a permit, you've got it. You control its issuance. No one can deny it, once you've filled out the form.

The permit is free of charge. The form takes about two (2) minutes to fill out. With registration comes protection for the solicitor - protection from unfounded complaints of Village residents who might complain after the fact.

Registration gives the solicitor the opportunity to see a list of property owners, who have registered their homes as off-limits to solicitors, under the terms of a separate ordinance which entitles the homeowner to decide who can solicit at his home and who cannot.

In Stratton, it is the homeowner who is vested with the power to decide who is welcome and who is not. The Village government has no power to make that decision.

The conduct which is regulated by the ordinance is not speech, but rather "uninvited entry." The ordinance does not regulate a person's lips or the words they speak. The ordinance regulates a person's feet - at the point where his foot crosses that line from the public sidewalk into the private property of a homeowner who has not invited him - a homeowner who doesn't even know that he's coming.

No man has a constitutional right to invade another man's property, uninvited. And, yet, the Jehovah's claim such a right, and they also want the right to remain anonymous when they come to your home, without your invitation. The question presented to the Supreme Court was the question of whether the Petitioners have a constitutionally protected right to remain anonymous when they come into a person's private property, without his permission or invitation.

Does one have the constitutional right to come into my bathroom (unannounced and uninvited and anonymously), just because he intends to engage in speech? Can he come into my bedroom, and then say, "It's OK folks, I'm here to make a speech."? Does the Constitution give him a free pass across the threshold of my front door, just because he will later justify the intrusion by claiming that he's there to make a speech? No. No man has the constitutional right-of-way into another man's castle, just because his excuse is the intent to make a speech that I didn't invite.

Stratton's ordinance drew the line at the picket fence - not in the bathroom or bedroom -not inside the front door. If a solicitor wishes to cross the line from the public sidewalk into my private residential property, (without my knowledge that he is coming and without my invitation), all he has to do is take a minute to fill out a form that identifies himself. It's no hassle. No burden to any First Amendment Right.

Once he registers, he is free to solicit again and again, with no time deadline. Register once, and he's "good to go" for as long as he likes. Where is the burden? The infringement?

Why am I not allowed to know who you are when you come to my door at an hour chosen by you? Why do I have to open my door to find out whether you are a legitimate solicitor as opposed to flim-flam man or rapist? Why do you have a constitutional right to get that far, before you must identify yourself?

Stratton's ordinance merely says, "Tell us who you are. Then go solicit to your heart's delight." Why does that deserve the court's ridicule?

Of course, the violent criminal will not stop by to register. He will just go up onto your porch and look through your window - casing the joint. Then he'll go up on your neighbor's porch to look through her window. He's looking for the little old lady who lives alone, so that he can do his harm.

And that is exactly the conduct that gives a police officer the power (probable cause) to stop the man on your porch to ask him, "Who are you and what are you doing here?" Going door-to-door without registering is that probable cause. It will not exist without the ordinance. When the criminal claims that he is going door-to-door selling magazines for his church or preaching or whatever, there will be no way to challenge him. He can make that claim after the fact of his apprehension.

Legitimate solicitors register, because it's quick, easy and free of charge. Plus, they get the protections afforded to solicitors under the ordinance. Criminals will be afraid to register, because they don't want to show identification, before they commit their crime. Therein lies but one of the deterrent effects of the ordinance.

The ordinance does not prohibit your neighbor from borrowing a cup of sugar. She's your neighbor. She's invited. It does not ban the kids who come for trick-or-treat. They are invited. It bans the unidentified stranger who is unexpected and uninvited - and it stops the ban the instant even he fills out a two-minute form.

What reason does the solicitor have for demanding the right to come into my private residence property, while refusing to tell me who he is before I open the door? Why am I not allowed to know he's coming? Why does he get to choose the time and day? Why the power of ambush? In my own home, of all places?

Where is my privacy? Can't the Village protect my privacy? Where is my assurance of safety? Can't the Village protect me from the frauds? The high-pressure sales? The guy who wants to case my house?

The Mayor's primary responsibility is to protect and defend his electorate. And in Stratton, that is exactly what he plans to continue to do.

Edward Abdalla
    Chicago, IL

The author is the son of the Mayor of Stratton and attended the case on Tuesday at the Supreme Court.

Safe to say he was also pissed off.

Hugs,

Annie

• LDH
    LDH

Annie,

That was AWESOME!!!!

Lisa

• Will Power
    Will Power

OMG what an awesome letter! He is exactly right!
    Hope they used some of these arguments, if not they should, and in every town!

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

Why don't they just open their mail and READ.

The Letter To Stratton

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/23d1f005/bc/Stratton/letter+to+Stratton.doc?bcMKJ28AybH5A0JG

• NotBlind
    NotBlind

Who the hell are "Jehovah's"? I thought it was Jehovah's Witnesses...

It makes an otherwise great letter look very hokey.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

>>Annie,

That was AWESOME!!!!<<

Thanks, Lisa!

I've sent that letter all OVER the U.S. and have gotten no response at all (sigh)

I hadn't even come back HERE (til now) to see if anyone had a reaction or a comment......thanks again for yours!

hus,

Annie

Now that I got it all together, I forgot where I put it.........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit