My experience......from East Africa

by Smily kelly 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Smily kelly
    Smily kelly

Its a long read.Sorry

In a nutshell…I am not a born in.. I am the only one in my family in the borg.

I was an agnostic before I was converted to this cult..in hindsight now, I think I was preyed on.You see,I was working in another city away from home ..was homesick,and my parents had died..so basically I felt alone in the world… I guess I was perfect target for the witnesses, they gave me all the right answers on why people suffer,what happens to us when we die..bla bla bla ..you all know how it goes(I regret never doing research on their doctrine.)

I studied but couldn’t make much progress, ..problem was that I was a workaholic and had no time for meetings.I had to work two jobs to make ends meet,also because I knew back home there was no chance of getting a job. I was shown Heb 10;24,25..assured Jehovah would provide ..I moved back home after about one year and nothing..Jehovah didn’t provide been unemployed ever since.

Good thing is that I have really wonderful siblings who have supported me no matter what I chose to do,or what religion I chose to belong to.

What made me wake up is;1. the shunning..how my familys’ love was unconditional as compared to the Witnesses friendship.2. the change in doctrine,new light.. 3.the hypocrisy of the Witnesses ,I got to know a few living double lives,4. The class distinctions within the congregation, for example pioneers and children whose fathers were elders were favoured as compared to the rest of us..5.There was no real love among the witnesses and there was a lot of backstabbing and gossiping.6.I also could not understand how we could go into a slum area to preach,see people suffer,people with no food..and just leave them with magazines..My congregation is mostly middle class so I just wondered why we couldn’t help this people out once in while something like giving them food and clothing…the answer I got always when I asked was that preaching to them is the best gift we could give them and AGAIN Jehovah would provide once they knew the truth. Yet JW’s here send their kids to high quality educational and medical institutions run by the Catholic church.

I gave up my job because I was lied to..I feel at times really stupid ,but I will not allow myself to go there at least now I know now I am not stupid as I have woken up to all these BS.

I am also glad though I never got married in this borg..and my future kids will never be in this borg..yipee!

There is also a growing middle class in Africa..so the WT is really benefiting from this..for example my halls’,and assembly announcement on the circuits contributions were always in the surplus to the bills we had to play ..so while in the western world contributions are declining, here its quite the opposite.

Thanks for reading my post and a quick question to you in the western world is ;How do you arrange your meet up groups so that you trust whomever you meet with, is genuine and won’t snitch.I would love to have a support group here in this part of the world which I am sure would help more people leave the borg as I have noticed a few of my JW friends have doubts but are just terrified of the shunning…

Nice weekend to all and sorry for any spelling mistakes English isn’t my first language ..I speak two other African languages….and as were are often told here..English came to Africa by ship and half of the ship sunk……

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Greetings SK!!

Glad to hear that you made it out alive, some don't make it out alive.

I donlt know how a person would be able to meet with others and be assured that your secret would be safe.

NJY

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Your English is fine. Better than some native speakers of English, in fact.

The very first time I met up with other exJWs or exiting JWs I was soooo scared of meeting someone who would recognise me and snitch me out to my local elders!! But there were a couple of very nice people there who had left and had no interest at all in talking to any elders. And a couple of them I am still in touch with 12 yrs later.

Take precautions if you chose to meet up with others. Maybe use an email that doesn't reveal your real name or where you work. Don't be intimidated into revealing too many personal details to others. Be vague but friendly.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Welcome!

It's good to have someone from East Africa.

Look forward to reading more about you.

00DAD

• carla
    carla

Welcome! and congratulations for your wake up! Your english is great, no worries there.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Welcome, and as others have said, your English is fine. I would be cautious about revealing any doubts to anyone. Some witnessess love to go and expose others. It's what they do. Makes them feel more righteous. I had a friend from Ethiopia. She was very educated. I lost touch with her, but she was a nice lady. I am surprised that jws let their children be educated by the Catholic Church. I guess they have their double standards.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Welcome! I also found out that the part about Jehovah providing for you is a lie. Big disappointment.

• atrapado
    atrapado

Nice to see you waking up.

Have you though about making friends outside the borg?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hello to East Africa. I have very warm feelings for the area, having made many immigrant friends, and my daughter married a fine man from Rwanda. I have a girlfriend raised in Tanzania, and another from Uganda. My son-in-law is fluent in many languages as well. I wish you the very best in your enterprises, and I hope you find a way to work where you live.

• A question
    A question

Welcome Kelly! Hope all is well.

FYI, you have a PM. You may need to refresh the page and try opening it several times, PMs are buggy here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit