Shunning - I just can't get my head around it

by jambon1 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I would just like to quote this bit from Paul Grundy's lengthy but excellent article on JWFacts.com on disfellowshipping.

"There should always be clear Scriptural reason for disfellowshipping, and John reprimanded Diotrephes for attempting to throw people out of the congregation unnecessarily at 3 John 9-10.

Bible discussion of shunning by Paul and John is limited to just the following areas; Fornication, Greed, idolatry, Revilers, Practicing Drunkenness, Extortion and One who does not remain in the teaching of the Christ. Revelation 21:8 does not relate to shunning but at a stretch could be drawn on, and adds adultery, men kept for unnatural purposes, men who lie with men, thieves, cowards, those without faith, those disgusting in their filth, murderers, spiritism, and liars. This list should be the full extent of reasons for which to be disfellowshipped."

This list should be the full extent of reasons for which to be disfellowshipped. That last phrase is so very telling, without some complex eisegesis there is no way that anyone could be DF'd for simply disagreeing with the words of men said or written since the Bible times.

To make a charge of Apostasy stick, and notice, the word does not appear in the list, to make it stick they would have to twist not "remaining in the teaching of the Christ" and or "without faith".

Which is exactly what they do of course, if you do not remain in the teaching of the Writing Committee of the WT and do not have faith that the WT is God's organization then in their mind you fit the criteria.

But an honest person would say that nowhere in scripture are we asked to stick with the everchanging teachings of those men, and nowhere in scripture are we asked to even be in an organization, let alone be "loyal" to it.

A disfellowshipping for Apostasy like the above is in no way scriptural, and shunning is simply wrong on all levels.

• Strawberryfieldsforever
    Strawberryfieldsforever

My Mom is back to shunning me again after my father died. She helped me with hospice while he was dying.....I thought maybe she was going to be part of my life again, no matter how small, but she is back to not talking to me. Before she stopped talking to me, she said I was an apostate and she cannot compromise her position with Jehovah. She said that she was at least happy that I had my husband with me when we are both destroyed in the VERY near future. Can you imagine how awful that is to hear from your own Mother?

I was so terribly hurt and then it turned to anger (again) and I wrote her an e-mail and told her that I don't want her to compromise her faith for me and I am not going to talk to her either. I told her I am going on with my life and I am going to try and be happy without her. I also told her that I love her and would always be there for her if she needed me.........

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

"quake at the very sight of my aunt....i was so scared of those people and for what".

I think Tiki's point really highlights the difference between a family disagreement that might lead family members to stop talking, and shunning as practiced by JWs. I know I was taught to view DF'd persons as the lowest form of scum to be avoided at all costs. "hate the unclean thing" is the terminology that comes to mind.

Yet when it happened to me I realized that being DF did not mean you were somehow evil or bad and deserving of the kind of treatment the organization metes out. I don't even think it fits the bar troublemaker analogy either, because most who are DF'd make no attempts to "lead" others into their sin, nor are they actively creating any kind of trouble in the congregation.

It truly is a cruel, unnatural, and hateful practice.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

mamochan13: because most who are DF'd make no attempts to "lead" others into their sin, nor are they actively creating any kind of trouble in the congregation.

Exactly! That's the "official reason" why many are disfellowshipped, but the real reason is CONTROL.

I discovered that myself the painful way. When I was disfellowshipped no one knew about what I was doing UNTIL AFTER IT WAS ANNOUNCED!

So in fact it was the DFing that made the congregation aware of "sin" and it was the announcement that "brought reproach upon Jehovah". Prior to that no one knew but me!

It's just so wrong-headed!

Yet one more example of WT duplicity.

00MAD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit