What films and TV shows couldn't you watch?

by sleepy 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

My mother never monitored the TV or movies. That was in the 50's and 60's. When we got married and had the kids, we did a little, but Princess can probably say what we didn't allow. I don't remember much, except not letting them watch TV in the daytime very often.

I always watched the soaps, and so did my mother AND my father. When the WTS put the no-no on those, I still did it. Well, I quit for awhile, but eventually was watching again. When I pioneered, I taped them. Now, I don't at all. No time for TV in the daytime.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

We had a television but was rarely on because my parents said it belongs to Satan it was a one eyed monster. Of course dad would watch sports all that wholesome stuff. Fighting swearing blood, you know all the good stuff that goes along with good clean sports. Even as an adult my mother was mortified by the things I watched. And I even let my son watch them. Hey maybe she was on to something neither my son and I are no longer in the truth.
    I really believe some parents go overboard and some are so lax. Anyway whenever I was at some one elses home I always watched televison and you'd be appalled at what some witnesses watch. Now there is the internet oh my what will parents do...

• Simon
    Simon

I always found that groups of witnesses together became "more righteous" than they were on their own almost as if they wanted to out-do each other wit htheir goodness. Or perhaps they were afraid to be the one saying "nah ... the film isn't that bad .. leave it on!" ?

We weren't allowed to watch Fame either and there were a few good films that got turned off (although the hypocrisy was terrible: Ryans Daughter & Dr Shivago were both ok for some reason)

• Pureheart
    Pureheart

Hello Sleepy.

As children we could not watch any tv shows with magic or spiritistic undertones. As a young adult we could not watch the Clint Eastwood movies. Right now I am still watching Clint Eastwood movies that I never knew existed. No R rated movies.

Pureheart

• LDH
    LDH

LOL fame was a no-no in our house too!!! Since I never saw it, the most reason I could catch was that it was about a bunch of super-talented young people who 'explored their dreams???' And also that one of them was gay, ha ha ha.

How ironic that I married a man who attended that school as a super talented musician, LOL, and I couldn't even watch the damn show.

21 Jump Street
    MTV
    SNL

We were allowed to watch "Little House on the Prarie," ROFL.

Lisa

• Scully
    Scully

Anything on meeting nights was a definite no-no.

I never watched "Cheers" until after it came out in syndication; same thing with "Happy Days", "Mork and Mindy", "LA Law" and several other shows.

Prime time soaps were a no-no too, in addition to the daytime soaps. "Dallas", "Dynasty", "Falcon Crest".

My dad flipped out one time over "The Price is Right" specifically, and all other game shows in general, because they "promoted greed".

I remember watching "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz" with Richard Dreyfuss, and knew the story already because we had to read the book in our Canadian Literature class. Dad ignored the scene of the chap in the dorm room who was wanking to pictures in a medical textbook, but turned off the movie immediately when there was a scene of a young couple kissing in the field.

A lot of the Star Trek stuff was frowned upon too. There was a 'fad' when I was about 11 or 12 when kids in my class collected "tribbles" the way kids today collect Pokémon cards. That was wrong too. They were related to Smurfs apparently.

Love, Scully

• sleepy
    sleepy

You Brits did you miss Top of the pops?
    It was on a thursday night, and I only ever saw it if I was ill and home from the meeting.
    I remmember being ill in the early eighties and Hitch hickers guide to the Galaxy was on, I saw the first two weeks episodes , but had to go back to the meetings the next week.
    I was gutted , I never did see the end.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit