Coming to terms with mortality

by biometrics 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• biometrics
    biometrics

Many born-in Jehovah’s Witnesses are subjected to the teaching that they’ll never die. This usually starts from a very early age.

Even as an adult, years after getting out of the JWs I had issues coming to terms with my own mortality. In the back of my mind there was a constant thought that somehow I wouldn’t die, even though consciously I knew it would/will be a certainty at some point.

Did anyone else have trouble coming to terms with their own mortality?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

It took a bit to work through it when I got out of the org. I don't want to die any more than anyone else, but it's inevitable. Why think about it? Once I'm dead, I won't know anything about it. Once I got that clear in my mind, I knew it's better to think about living than worry about dying.

Life is too short to worry about things that are not within our control. The real enemy is time, and it's a killer!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Another thought - I once read William Henry Hudson's autobiography. He wrote "Green Mansions," along with many other books. In his autobiography he said that as a kid in Argentina he came across a dead animal. As soon as he saw it, he said he realized immediately what death is and it ruined his life. He said he spent every day of his life fearing death -- and as I remember he died in his 80s! What a pity to let it ruin your life. If this is all we have, let's try to enjoy it.

• cofty
    cofty

It took a bit of getting used to.

I have no fear of death but I'm really pissed about all the stuff I will miss. Like a kid who has been sent to his room.

• perfect1
    perfect1

In my religion we think about death all the time.

We say: Death is real and comes without warning.

I think this a healthy, realistic, and denial free way to face our own demise.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I don't know about life after death but some people seem determined not to have one before it either.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I had a lot of trouble with this, and it took quite a few months before I got over it. This thread helped me put it all into perspective.

• biometrics
    biometrics

As a teen the part that worried me the most was being resurected without genitals or a sex drive!

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Well said,Gromit!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit