REALITY may not be what you think

by Terry 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

A counterfeit $100 bill looks virtually the same as a genuine bill.

Ask yourself what ACTUAL difference exists between them?

A really good Elvis impersonator may look and sound pretty darned close to the real Elvis--but, is "close" the same as genuine?

reality is the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or might be imagined.

Reality trumps imagination for actual existence. Captain Kirk "exists" but not actually.

So, you have to know what game you are playing: Standard or theoretical. Fact or Fiction. Actual or imaginary.

I use to be in the Art business where there are Originals and then there are reproductions. The reproductions can be very well done but they are not considered equal to the original in any way other than mere appearance.

Why?

Authenticity tests reality at its deepest level of meaning.

What if your son or daughter were kidnapped but a different child of the same age were returned to you instead? Would it make any difference?

Of course it would.

But--why?

Authenticity. Reality. Value stems from our deepest convictions about these things: reality and authenticity.

An interesting thing about all this centers on human willingness to believe what "appears" to be true, real or authentic.

Non-skeptical people can be fooled!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Frank William Abagnale, Jr. is an American security consultant known for his history as a former confidence trickster, check forger, impostor, and escape artist. He became notorious in the 1960s for passing $2.5 million worth of meticulously forged checks across 26 countries over the course of five years, beginning when he was 16 years old.

In the process, he became one of the most famous impostors ever, claiming to have assumed no fewer than eight separate identities as an airline pilot, a doctor, a U.S. Bureau of Prisons agent, and a lawyer. He escaped from police custody twice (once from a taxiing airliner and once from a U.S. federal penitentiary), before he was 21 years old.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In the final analysis, if you never discovered you were being fooled by a trickster you might be fat, dumb and happy with a pocket full of counterfeit bills,

watching an Elvis impersonator thinking it was the original while at home you have a reproduction of the Mona Lisa on your wall that you bought at auction

with real money for millions of dollars.

Ignorance is said to be "bliss" or ultimate happiness.

As a matter of fact, most of us here on JW-net actually WERE that person when we sat in the local Kingdom Hall or went knocking on people's doors offering

them a life or death choice because Armageddon was coming in 1975!

You've heard the expression: Shit happens! Well, I have a better one for you: REALITY HAPPENS!

Making a vigilant stand for the authentic and the actual and the real means the difference between a life of self-deception or a genuine life of value, honesty and integrity.

Jehovah's Witnesses don't live honest christian lives. They THINK they do.

Thinking that way is not the same as BEING real.

Their method of determining Truth (or authentic thinking which matches reality) is to settle for the tricksters and confidence men they call the Governing Body--all those Frank Abagnales in suits who direct worldwide Elvis impersonations.

Counterfeit Truth corresponds with virtual reality: the imagination of bullshitters who make it up and publish it under the Watchtower banner.

Publishers who go door to door are like counterfeiters passing bad bills and fobbing it off as currency and legal tender.

This makes members of this religion unwitting criminals with zero personal integrity.

Reality is a real bitch!

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Ouch.

Edited to add: Terry said

This makes members of this religion unwitting criminals with zero personal integrity.

I think that your above statement is an unfair assessment of all JW's.

Why would you place all JW's in the same category? Why would you say that members are "unwitting criminals with zero personal integrity"?

How many witnesses do you know?

The "Catch me if you Can" guy, Frank Abgnale ended up turning his life of crime into a multimillion dollar career and taught the FBI all his tricks and how to spot the counterfeiters.

How many people do you know Terry that are 100% honest in everything that they do? Are you? Do you mislead people? Do you always tell the truth? If you do then YOU are a PERFECT man. I have yet to meet anyone who's been honest about anything 100% of the time.

There are plenty of JW's that are honest people in that have no idea that they have been lied to and mislead. I am one of them. I was fooled.

I don't care to be labelled as a counterfeit anything or an unwitting criminal.

I also don't like to be awakened by the harsh sound of an alarm clock. You just sounded like a harsh alarm clock to me.

Usually, when I read something you have wriitten I can step back and absorb it, but this just makes me mad, Terry.

Are you happy?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Great thoughts and questions.

'Jehovah's Witnesses don't live honest christian lives. They THINK they do.'

A little extrapolation; what is a real christian life? Is it a second hand christian life, that is inherited from parents? Is it religion passed from a pastor or priest? Or is it a first hand experience such as paul is supposed to have had? Of course, it is true that spiritual type experiences are not accepted as real by scientists who have not had them, and rightly so. In other words, they are not exccepted as real, anyway. If they really are real experiences, but in a spiritual reality, then i would say that they will stand the test of time, and eventually be accepted as real.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

Authenticity. What is it? What is the difference between a real mona lisa and a perfect copy? If i loved the painting for its artistic value, i would be happy w a perfect copy. But, it's not authentic. Why care? Is there, somehow a piece of the original genius embedded in it, a piece of the creators soul? What?

S

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good Thread Terry..

I have Hi tec equipment that helps me spot Counterfeit Currancy..

I don`t mistake people..

That can "kind of" look and sing like Elvis..

For Elvis..

Some people are happy with 2nd best..

It saves them all the work of finding what they`re really looking for..

Treat me like a Fool/Persecute me too/But love me

JW Elvis..

............................ mutley-ani1.gif image by GeneralWaco ...OUTLAW

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

Think I'll walk by river and try to think on this, but no, too much mental gymnastics, better to smoke a fat one

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I've always been fascinated with reality Terry. When I left the WTS I read book after book trying to find what reality is. Sometimes I had to wait a week ot two between books because it was so exhausting. My belief system was constantly bruised and battered. Not afraid any more. Thing about reality is ...... well reality is. We can't fight it. Why be afraid of it?

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

I think Terry has identified a great truth about the JW scam the keyword here is "unwittingly"

Terry is trying to make the point that because the Watchtower religion is counterfeit unrecognisable to many from genuine Christianity people cannot see the the difference it's only when you look with discernment that you see it's a fake. Its not that people go along with the scam to fool others on purpose its just that many are taken in by it and pass it on to others by preaching etc.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

When reality has the possibility of causing too much trouble, it can sometimes be dealt with by using unreality as a workaround.

My example, a favorite cat went missing. Reality is likely that a coyote had a good meal. My unreality workaround is that some lady started feeding him better food than I could afford, so he bailed.

I suspect that these unreality patches, so long as they don't obscure real danger, help us survive and be more sane.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

It's true and in many different facets of life. It's hard for people to take the red pill more then once. If they take it for their religion, they may not take it for the government, etc. It's how far does the rabbit hole go. It also needs to be somewhat balanced. Know enough to be able to live as well as you can, don't hit the point of being completely paranoid about everything especially when there is nothing you can do about it. Have the edge on situations to navigate as comfortably as you can when things happen and not be taken by surprise, but still able to have some enjoyment and happiness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit