John 3:16 & Exercise Faith

by turtleturtle 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

Hi all,

I was trying to find a WT publication that specifically addresses why John 3:16 is translated "exercise faith" in the NWT. I have searched the WT CDROM, but cannot find anything. Can anyone please give me the WT references that address why John 3:16 is translated this way?

I noticed that the Amplified Bible says:

16 For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

This is one instance where the NWT does not do too bad in its rendition, as the Amplified Biible shows, the Gk.word "pisteuo" means more than simple belief, so "exercising faith" is not too bad, if not the kind of expression that we would commonly use ourselves.

My memory is not that good, and I don't have access to their literature anymore, but I would have thought the WT would have directly commented on this a number of times, Blondie, please?

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Most other bibles render it believe. I had a bible student who would argue this NWT rendering of this scripture as incorrect. I believe he had a solid point. He said that this rendering and other NWT renderings carries a misleading thought that:

faith + works = salvation

His point was essentially that works invalidates the gift of sacrifice that Jesus gave. And Jesus never stated that works were a condition to salvation. He stated that love of God and neighbor and good deeds (not formalized works) was the path to salvation. I think that beleive is the correct rendering there.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good points tt2c, and perhaps I was being too trusting of the NWT, the meaning of the word tranlated does of course as the Amplified Bible nicely shows have more than just credence as its thought.

But simply to translate as belief is probably more honest, we have no difficulty in knowing what that means when the present participle of the verb form of the word is translated "believers" elsewhere do we ? we know that means people who have confidence in and trust in Jesus.

So your student was much more perceptive than I, this is an instance of the JW/WT theology winning over good translation in the NWT, yet again.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

I've always believed what James 2:24-26 says, that faith on its own is not enough.

Surely believing in something is not enough to benefit by it. I believe that lotteries exist, but it's impossible for me to gain anything from them - because I do not act upon my belief.

If faith was enough, Paul needn't have travelled extensively , risking his life. The necessary work, given by Christ, was to preach the good news and to make disciples - it would demonstrate faith in the Christ's sacrifice and help others to do the same. Hence Jesus' statement aabout requesting the Master of the harvest to send out more workers.

In James 2:19 it says that the demons believe in God - but they shudder!! Believing ain't enough for anything.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think we all would be singing from the same Hymn sheet here Searcher (if I were a believer that is).

The words of James , "faith without works is dead" etc I never saw as contradicting the idea of Grace , I always thought they showed the way a person showed he had accepted God's Grace, by works of faith. If you "Trust in, cling to and rely on" Jesus as the Amp. Bible has it, mere belief is simply not enough.

But as above, I find that the WT tries to subtly get over that you must work for it to gain salvation, when a JDub thinks of "exercising faith" what does he think of? but a Christian who understands the idea of Grace, what does he think of when he is asked to "believe" ?

The JDub thinks of going Dto D, the Christian thinks of the saving power of his Lord's death.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The Society states regarding the translation of the words in question:

*** w90 12/1 p. 30 Questions From Readers ***
    Often, the different shades of meaning of pi·steu′o must be discerned from the context. At times, though, different grammatical constructions help us to see what the writer had in mind. For example, if pi·steu′o is followed merely by a noun in the dative case, the New World Translation usually renders it simply as “believe”—unless the context indicates something different. (Matthew 21:25, 32; but see Romans 4:3.) If pi·steu′o is followed by the word e·pi′, “on,” it is generally rendered “believe on.” (Matthew 27:42; Acts 16:31) If it is followed by eis, “to,” it is usually translated “exercise faith in.”—John 12:36; 14:1.

This latter rendering (which reminds us that pi·steu′o is related to the Greek word pi′stis, “faith”) is in harmony with a comment in An Introductory Grammar of New Testament Greek, by Paul Kaufman. This work says: “Another construction which is common in the New Testament (especially in John’s Gospel) is πιστευω [pi·steu′o] with εις [eis] and the accusative case . . . The whole construction of εις plus the accusative must be translated rather than attempting to translate the preposition εις as an isolated word. Faith is thought of as an activity, as something men do, i.e. putting faith into someone.”

But why "exercise faith in" instead of "trust in" or "place trust in"? The latter gets at the subtle nuance and construes belief as an activity. The former is an overtranslation that adds further nuances. Exercise implies effort. One must exert oneself. And that exertion would involve other actions one would do in order to exercise faith. And those acts must continually be performed. This facilitates an interpretation that replaces faith with works (specifically, the preaching work):

*** km 5/70 p. 1 par. 2 Being Well-Pleasing to God ***

Accordingly, to have Jehovah’s favor and approval on ourselves and our families, and to expect our ministerial work to prosper, we must exercise faith—faith in the leadership of our Lord Jesus Christ, whom Jehovah sent forth. This faith will impel us to do the same work that Jesus did. He had faith in his Father, knowing that God was with him. Jehovah and Jesus Christ are more interested than we are in ourselves and in the Kingdom interests we are caring for. Consequently, we can be sure that God will prosper our work that is done in faith.

*** g75 11/8 p. 28 How Can You Be Saved? ***

Thus, once you are in the way of salvation, exert yourself to stay in it. You cannot earn salvation by works; faith is what is needed. (Rom. 3:10-12; Gal. 3:11) But you do need to exercise your faith by practical works that give proof of it. (Jas. 2:14-17, 26) That is what the apostles did. They especially gave emphasis to the preaching work that Jesus commanded be done by Christians.

*** w76 12/15 p. 760 pars. 22-23 Gain the Promised Eternal Life—Exercise Faith! ***

In order to enter into the fulfillment of God's promise we must possess life; we need to have our souls preserved alive. We can gain that prize of life solely by a sustained faith. We eagerly desire to enjoy God’s fulfilled promise eternally. Away, then, with any thought or inclination to shrink back in fear and in unbelief! Faith is what we will exercise along with works in proof! In reward for that, Jehovah God the Life-Giver will preserve our souls alive forever.—1 John 2:25.

Without fail, therefore, the "God who supplies endurance" will fulfill his promise to the faithfully enduring doers of his will. (Rom. 15:5) Joyfully he will usher us into the eternal blessings and privileges of his long-promised kingdom by his Son Jesus Christ. Thus, not in vain shall we have preached this kingdom "in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations" before "the end" came.—Matt. 24:14.

*** w83 10/1 p. 14 par. 3 Millions Get Ready for Uninterrupted Life on Earth ***

To people now living on earth, the reigning King Jesus Christ becomes "the life" due to the fact that they exercise faith in him, this faith being proved by works. During this "conclusion of the system of things," these works would include taking an active part in the fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy at Matthew 24:14 to preach the good news of God’s Kingdom before "the end" of the system comes. (Matthew 24:3; Mark 13:3, 4) The exercisers of faith who survive the end of the current system of things and who look forward to life in Paradise restored will never need to die at all. (1 John 2:17)

*** w05 5/1 p. 29 Questions From Readers ***

Many scriptures show that to be saved, a person must come to know Jehovah, believe in Jesus, and exercise faith, demonstrating that faith by works.

All of this goes very far from the sense of trusting in someone. The overtranslation of "believe/trust in" as "exercise faith in" also combines with the overtranslation of "knowing" as "putting in knowledge" and "declaring" as "making public declaration". All of that is interpreted as pertaining to the preaching work. The overtranslations exist because they facilitate a certain desired soteriology, which goes beyond having a personal dedication and commitment to Jesus.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

if you have faith you won't go murdering people saying i can do as many bad things as I want and I'm still saved. I can be the worst human and still get saved cause I have faith. I think there is a scripture that the law exists to judge the wicked. It seems to all be setup to root out the real parasites among the people and those who are really good people to get their sins forgiven.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Like that vandersloot guy, he seems to be a very evil person.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Simply put, Its works OF salvation NOT works FOR salvation.

It is the enabling process in being united to Christ in his death and resurrection, (that a Christian's baptism signifies), the gift of the Holy Spirit aka, the eternal life quality of Jesus, that works out in our lives from spiritual babe, to whatever maturity is gain in the bipartisan conformity to Christs image in this mortal flesh to immortality in a resurrecton.

John 3:16...spiritual birth

Phillipians 1:16, Matthew 7:14-27, Matthew 13:8, Ephesians 4:13....Enabling progress and Growth.

Shalom

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit