Are the Adventists looking to attract downtrodden JW's?

by donny 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• donny
    donny

Sorry if anyone has already posted on this but I did not see anything related in the few pages of active topics I checked.

Last Saturday I went to an oil change facilty and one of their perks is they give you a copy of the current USA today while you wait in your car. On page 8A is a full page ad titled "Liberty of Conscience Threatened.... A National Sunday Law Will be Established as the Mark of the Beast."

The article then goes on a typical Adventist rant about how Saturday, not Sunday, is the real Sabbath established by God. What caught my attention was about 3/4 through the article where they mention Paul meeting on the first day of the week. It then states that "Paul spent Sunday morning traveling to Assos. We do not see any change or command to keep Sunday holy. The New World Translation says 'On Saturday night, in our assembling for the breaking of bread, Paul, who was to leave the next day.'"

This is the first time I have seen another church use the NWT in it's ad. Other than some occasional clergy or bible study types, who else but JW's would recognize this citation source?

Are they trying to bring some long, long lost sheep back into the Adventist fold?

• Pterist
    Pterist

It could be a good alternative when the WBTS falters soon. They will be going back to their demoted founder's roots.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

That is interesting. I actually have thought of checking them out. My grandson has attended the Seventh Day Adventist all his life with his other grandmother. He has gone to a SDA school also. He now wants to go to college and study divinity, but his long term goal is to have his own non denominational church someday.

• steve2
    steve2

Before checking out the 7th-Day Adventists in person, read the book that came out in the late 1970s called "The White Lie" about their prophetess, Mrs Ellen G White, the female equivalent of Chuck Russell. Some of the shenanagins in the Adventist organization is eerily reminiscent of the Watchtower Society. Sure, they're not as savage in their response to apostasy, but realize they are subtly condemning. The 7th-Day Adventist church has an increasingly tense relationship between adherents who are concerned about the focus on "law" and those who are predictably focused on it.

BTW, I find it completely understandable their quoting the New World Translation. They're a little like the JWs: They'll quote almost anything remotely - and even questionably - scholarly that seems to support their teachings. What's noteworthy about that, huh?

• JWOP
    JWOP

The Seventh Day Adventists (16 million worldwide) grew as an offshoot from the Millerite movement (started by William Miller) in the 1840's. Interestingly, William Miller was friends with Charles Taze Russell – the founder of the Bible Students, from which the Jehovah's Witnesses branched off. The Seventh Day Adventists are called “Seventh Day” because they believe in a Saturday sabbath and worship instead of Sunday. These are some of the teachings which the Seventh Day Adventists have in common with Jehovah's Witnesses:

Satan & his Demons will be destroyed in the "Lake of Fire"
    Heavily preach about having unity among church members
    Only legitimate reason for divorce is sexual unfaithfulness
    Jesus Christ will return visibly after a "time of trouble"
    Jesus Christ is the Archangel Michael
    Abstinence from tobacco products
    Death is the cessation of existence
    Reward of a paradise on Earth
    Baptism is by immersion only
    Preach the gospel to others
    Homosexuality is a sin
    No immortal soul.
    No fiery Hell

Note that this is the largest denomination that believes Jesus Christ is the Archangel Michael.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Jesus Christ will return visibly after a" time of trouble" ?

I think we can omit that one ,otherwise some good comparisons.

smiddy

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

nah

just choosing a translation that suits their argument like the WT does...

oz

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have a friend who left the SAD's after a lifetime in the cult, her husband divorced her and then refused any support for their children, she brought them up alone and got them through University all on her own, bless her. The husband is still a Pastor or whatever they call them in the SAD's.

Her experience of being badly treated by Hubby may be a one off, perhaps, but the shunning by former friends etc was as bad as one gets for leaving the JW's

It is a very similar, nasty vindictive cult.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I'd like to see the official policy SDA's have on disfellowshiping/excommunication and whether there is still freedom to talk to the expelled person.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I have a couple of customers that are adventists, and they're closed on saturday but open on sunday.

they also celebrate EVERY jewish holiday, weird for a religion that celebrates christ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit