How do I disprove "New Light"?

by DarkFireWolf 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DarkFireWolf
    DarkFireWolf

I currently am a JW and my parents are too.They seem either confused or dislike it when I raise questions and recently, when I questioned them about 1925 and 1975, I've been told it's changed due to "New Light." I don't remember nor do I have very much knowledge of "New Light."

This "New Light" just dosen't sit with me and neither do the false prophecies.New Light first of all, breaks a scripture in Deut. which states that a word spoken in God's name that does not come true makes a false prophet.But this is okay for us because we have New Light?And if we get New Light, does this mean that what we were teaching before was incorrect or false?Well, false teachings make a false religion.But I know logic itself wouldn't be enough and this would be "leaning on my own understanding."

So how do I concretely disprove New Light?Scriptures, articles, anything really.Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks in advance.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

One way is to shine 'old darkness' onto it.

When 'noolite' comes along, then by default the old noolite becomes 'old darkness', ... repeat ad nauseum.

What is the bible definition of a false prophet?

(Deuteronomy 18:20-22) 20 "‘However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. 21 And in case you should say in your heart: "How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?" 22 when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him.'

So does Jehovah (holy spirit etc) lead the WTS around in circles? if you believe they are lead at all, then it appears so.

• Listener
    Listener

Ask them where the old light came from - was it God or the GB? If they say God then we know God cannot lie. If they say the GB and they are imperfect men then you can work in the circular and point out that if the old light wasn't from God then there is no reason to believe the new light is either.

Their 'light' theory is based on the idea that they have been in the darkness and it is only a gradual process for them to move to new light under the direction of God. If that is the case then there would be no flip flops of which there are many examples. One for instance is the question of whether those that died in Sodom & Gomorah would be resurrected, they have flip flopped from yes to no many times. They cannot be moving out of the darkness if they are continually changing their opinions.

Ask them for the scriptures that support the new light idea and look at the context to see if it fits this idea.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Especially get them to read Proverbs 4v18 the favourite one used by the WT for its New Light theory, it is simply talking about the righteous person and how as he goes through life his way is clearer for him to see.

It has nothing to do with understanding scripture. They must read it as though they have never seen it before, not with the WT twisitng of it echoing in their head.

New Light would add to or supplement older beliefs, if the new teaching supplants the old, the old never was light.

Therefore for however long the GB/WT taught the old, they were teaching error/lies.

Big Welcome here to you !

• irondork
    irondork

DarkFireWolf: So how do I concretely disprove New Light?

First, welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around and learn, learn, learn.

Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm - by all means you should try to help your folks - but proving or disproving anything to a closed mind is a very difficult thing. If they're not ready to see it, all the evidence in the world will be lost on them. Again, give it your best shot, but if it doesn't have the effect you were hoping for you might have to settle for the possibility that you at least planted a seed. Knowing this in advance will help you not set yourself up for discouragement.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

No need to...

give the Watchtower enough time and they will do it for you, the 'new light' will be replaced and become 'old light' and therefore false.

But seriously, go to the foundation of the concept in proverbs and have it read in its entire context and its plain to a blind man that the concept is a scam.

note: NOT plain to a JW though...

oz

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

My brother in:law new elder told me the same thing. noolight. where is it I ask, He said in the bible I said where in the bible? He didn't know. To busy judging,. panicking.ect. After showing him and his wife Prov 4:18 and 19 in context. It has nothing to do with an organization. They don't get it. Best thing to do is educate yourself with the jwfacts. I hope God makes it easy for you.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

New light scenario usually comes around when previous doctrines time themselves out or they were false doctrines to begin with.

Think all the false doctrines the WTS. came out prior to 1914 ( failed dates), think about when the WTS. proclaimed that god had specifically chosen their

organization when they were teaching Pyramidlogy in 1919. Think about all the propagating they did of 1975 when they said they could calculate exactly

6000 years back to man's existence to October 1975, which in reality is imposable to do by using the bible or any other archaeological means.

New light for the WTS. has always meant New lies, commercially inspired lies propagated by a religious publishing house.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

By the way I see this is your first post on the forum DarkFireWolf ,

So I would like to welcome you and feel free to ask about any other questions regarding the JWS.

Know the truth and protect the truth is a good motto to live by.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Welcome to our nightmare.

When the many WT Use by Dates expire, the church hierarchy doesn't need Jebooboo to tell them that if they can't come up with some Noo Lite they are only going to have a few imbeciles left to put money in the collection boxes.

Your parents should be pressured to justify remaining with the church in spite of its failings. Don't let them think that you feel any guilt for leaving a church who's god has consistently refused to act on ony prophetic mumbo jumbo that has emanated from it's headquarters.

Ask them to show you, from their literature, one thing that the WT has predicted that has actually come true.

Don't express your own opinions ..... just ask questions and insist on honest answers and make them feel guilty for any trickery, bullying, dishonesty, diversions, etc..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit