January 2013 Watchtower - HAVE JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES GIVEN INCORRECT DATES FOR THE END?

by TheStumbler 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• biometrics
    biometrics

One of the elders once admitted to me "Yes, there's a chance we (Jehovah's Witnesses) have got it all wrong. BUT, WHAT IF WE ARE RIGHT." At the time that statement made perfect sense to me, as I'm sure such statements did to others here.

If I could go back in time I'd say something to the effect of "So you'd like me to trust my entire life to the Watchtower on the off chance that Jehovah's Witnesses aren't wrong."

• DarkFireWolf
    DarkFireWolf

I just looked at this today so I guess I'll give my thoughts on it..

2 Thessalonians 2:1,2

However, brothers, respecting the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him, we request of YOU not to be quickly shaken from YOUR reason nor to be excited either through an inspired expression or through a verbal message or through a letter as though from us, to the effect that the day of Jehovah is here.

Ephesians 5:6

6 Let no man deceive YOU with empty words, for because of the aforesaid things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience.

Did they not deceive people with empty words?

1 John 4:1

Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world.

On the online Watchtower library, inspired expression can mean, "Or 'through a spirit'"

All Scripture is Inspired of God and Beneficial

Likewise in heaven (1) Jehovah God originates his utterances; (2) then his official Word, or Spokesman—now known as Jesus Christ—often transmits the message; (3) God’s holy spirit, the active force that is used as the medium of communication, carries it earthward; (4) God’s prophet on earth receives the message; and (5) he then publishes it for the benefit of God’s people.

Looking back at 2 Thessalonians.."nor to be excited either through an inspired expression or through a verbal message" Watchtower used both inspired expression (by saying their message comes through holy spirit) and verbal message (by giving out false/incorrect dates) to excite and to lie to people and have contradicted themselves by calling themselves "God's prophet on earth." Somehow Deut. 18:20-22 is forgotten..

• clarity
    clarity

Funny how that dishonesty affects them so personally ...

some witness friends came by to visit a sister and knocked

on her door .......... she didn't want to see them so she ran

to the bathroom and stood in the bathtub, clothes, shoes and all!

That way she could tell them at the hall ... that she was in the tub!

clarity

• steve2
    steve2

The pregnancy example and MacMIllan's quote are crocks of shit. If the labor goes on for an unhealthily extended period, the baby's and mother's life would be imperiled so the midwife would urgently consider caesarean, among other options. In other words, labor would be urgently induced. I'm still waiting for the end of the world to be induced.

As for the quote from MacMillan from well over half a century ago, using that reasoning, the end could come in the next 500 to 1,000 years and they still be "right"to have said it was near. Meanwhile, the gestation goes on and on and on and on......

As I said, crocks of shit.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

they only admit mistakes that are far enough in the past to have bugger all living rank and file who might remember it...

oz

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

marking

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

A baby may indeed come before or after a given date - it's not decades.

We've all cried wolf once or twice, but to constantly do it (regarding so many of their teachings) you got to start thinking these people have absolutely no clue what a wolf looks like or they are just looking for attention.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

DFW, Thanks for quoting those scriptures, which expose how false their position is.

2Thess2v2 is a blatant example of where they insert "Jehovah" and thus change the whole meaning of the verse to suit their doctrine.

The oldest manuscripts have Kyrios or Lord here, so obviously the writer is not talking about the day of "Jehovah" which in WT minds would be Armageddon, but is talking about the day of the Lord, Jesus Christ's return in other words.

So, there will be no pre-warning of the 2nd coming, and to offer one is to go against all the scriptures that touch upon the idea of foreknowing, or even heralding Jesus as here.

Now this is exactly what the WT is doing, that which is forbidden in this verse.

So it is not just that the WT's "expectations" were/are wrong, it is that it is Scripturally wrong to have such expectations, apart from being alert to welcome the Lord when He does arrive.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

He will arrive in the same manner in which he left......

• steve2
    steve2

The Little Religion That Cries Wolf.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit