Did You Know ....? [WtBTS]

by RR 13 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR

Did you know that ....

1. The Advent Christian Church published a monthly magazine called "The Watch Tower" published at the same time that the Society published their "Watch Tower."

2. That the Society proclaimed the end of the world in 1914, 1915, 1918, 1925, 1945, 1975, 1984, 1994, 1999?

3. That they once taught that the holy spirit ceased operating in 1918, and that Jehovah was using angels to relay his new light?

4. That they have more in common with the catholic Church then any other Church, doctrinally and organizationally?

Edited by - RR on 27 January 2001 13:53:42

• waiting
    waiting

Once again, hey RR,

Your proofs?

Thanks.

waiting

• mommy
    mommy

Hey RR,
    I was chatting with someone the other day and noticed the similarities in Catholics and Jws. There are quite a few, and quite a few Jws have been formally Catholics.
    wendy

• RR
    RR

Proofs, they want proofs, <sigh>

1. I have a copy of "The Watch Tower" date 1915. I can the cover if you'd like!

2. The date of the close of that ‘battle’ is definitely marked in Scripture as October, 1914. It is already in progress, its beginning dating from October, 1874. <Watchtower. January 15, 1892>

*** The Finished Mystery (SS-7), 1917 ed., p. 485 ***
    [Note: not available on 1993/1995 CD-ROM]
    Also, in the year 1918, when God destroys the churches wholesale and the church members by millions ... <The Finished Mystery, p. 485>

Our thought is, that 1925 is definitely settled by the Scriptures. As to Noah, the Christian now has much more upon which to base his faith than Noah had upon which to base his faith in a coming deluge. <Watchtower 4/1/23, p. 106>

The new book children will prove useful in the remaining months before armageddon ... M<Watchtower 9/15/41, p. 377

Two different versions of the "Truth" book, one references 1975, the other does not.

life span of a man is 70 or 80 years, add that to the generation of 1914, tadaaaaaaaa .... 1984 1994, I was there, I know!

"Some of that 'generation [of 1914]' could survive until the end of the century. But there are many indications that 'the end' is much closer than that!" {WT Mar 1 1984 18-9}

"It is not reasonable to expect that present favorable conditions for preaching the good news will continue indefinitely. Besides, did not Jesus say that this generation will not pass away until all things are fulfilled? A generation, according to Psalm 90:10, is from seventy to eighty years. The generation that witnessed the end of the Gentile Times in 1914 does not have many more years left." {WT Dec 1 1968 715}

"The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century." {WT Jan 1 1989 12} [bound volume changed "20th century" to "day"]

This suggests that resurrected ones of the 24-elders group may be involved in the communicating of divine truths today. <Revelation, It's Grand Climax at Hand, p. 125>

Visible human creatures had to do with that message, yet. in fact, it was a message of the Lord sent through his invisible angels, because without a doubt these are clothed with authority to direct the course of earthly members of God's organization. <light 1, p/ 130>

• waiting
    waiting

Your lovin' this.....

Proofs, they want proofs, <sigh>

4. That they have more in common with the catholic Church then any other Church, doctrinally and organizationally?

Thanking you in advance for all the areas that they have in common.

waiting

• Xandit
    Xandit

Hierarchical structure is pretty close, and the commensurate authority structure. Don't believe JWs have ever burned anyone at the stake and the old rack and boiling oil are not much in evidence at judicial hearings.

1984, 1994, 1999? I don't think so. That's going way beyond the things written.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Xandit, when did you become a Witness? Are you a Witness?

I am a 3rd generation Witness, my father was an elder, my sister a pioneer.

I was alive and active as a Witness in the years of 1984 and 1994. They were dates that we were VERY MUCH INTERESTED IN. The Society would never say definately in print that Armageddon would come, but it was ALLUDED TO.

Remember the scripture in Psalms talking about man living to being 70, 80 if he had special might?

And when did the "last days" start? 1914

Do your sums, and tell me why 1984 and 1994 weren't years that Armageddon was expected to arrive?

I was there and very much aware what was being said - even if it wasn't in print - the COs and DOs would allude that these were "special" years. And anyone with a calculator had reason to have high expectations.

They may seem unrealistic now. But that's 20/20 hindsight. But you had to be there. And I was!

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Prisca,

1984, 1994, must have been regional hype. Down in the South and in southern California, there was no real looking at these dates. Interesting, yes, but nothing like 1975.

I hate to admit it - but I agree with Xandit on this one. Will wonders never cease, eh?

As for structure between jw's and Catholics, been both, don't know.
    Would have to see the argument - and neither Xandit nor RR has produced them or validation of their statements.

waiting

• waiting
    waiting

As for the jw/catholic likes/differences - one difference would be crime & punishment, current method (burning at stake, Inquisitions are no longer acceptable).

Currently, for the past 100 years, a catholic sins (pretty much no matter how seriously) goes to confession, sins are forgiven, say/do penance, and all is well in heaven and hell is a scare tactic. Nobody knows.

JW does anything that WTBTS says is sin or disobedience, 3 men are called upon to judge, judgement is made, penance is exacted from sinner. However, after the tribunal, depending upon circumstances, everyone can know. If sinner is not excused, they are kicked out. If sin is public, or can harm "congregation reputation", good possibily of being df'd even though contrition is felt by sinner.

Big difference. According to my therepist, very hard for persons to adjust to a lifetime of guilt in an org. like jw's. Catholics may fear hell, but guilt is not a way of life.

It's my therapist's view, xandit. She also was my daughter's and served on several incest cases involving jw's. She felt they were decent org. - just hardline.

waiting

• Xandit
    Xandit

I've been a Witness for decades and I knew people in a lot of different areas during the time period in question. There was no emphasis on those later dates at all. There's enough real stuff around without making things up. This alluding to and infering is so often in the minds of the beholders, or those who inflence the beholders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit