Disfellowshipped for reading "apostate literature"?

by Vanderhoven7 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• james_woods
    james_woods
    You can in reality be disfellowshipped for anything 3 elders agree on in a JC. But you can appeal .

You CAN appeal, but in reality it is mostly handled by the same three elders and depends on how well they get along with the circuit overseer.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Thank you all...especially Cedars, pontoon and Can'tleave. I was able to answer a JW objection on the issue on another forum...without looking like a total idiot. ;o)

• jam
    jam

Great idea, leave old mags printed prior to 1975.

Leave them in Dr office, laundromats, etc.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

By it's definition, most of all WT's and other publications are now 'apostate' (teaching incorrect things), since the new GB=FDS bombshell.

What do you mean "bombshell"? Is this a recent declaration? Also, what are some of the other NEW teachings? Is there ever a chance that the Org will reverse itself on a doctrine like people not having spirits? Or is that one too big to give up on?

One question I've always had is whether any of the elders nationwide ever monitor this site. This has a lot of critical information, but of course how would anyone ever know who's on here? Any of you guys could be cranking out whatever you want here and no one would know.

Another question is: what is "apostate" literature? Let's say you're trucking along door to door and someone agrees to read your Watchtower if you'll read one of their pamphlets. What happens? Do you take the pamphlet, say you'll read it and dump it off at the first trash bin you come to? What happens if you keep your word and read it? Can you catch any grief?

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

I remember reading in CoC somewhere that as of 1980, a change in policy was sent to all elders to the effect that you will get DF'd if you BELIEVE something contrary than the *current* WTS published interpretation. The elders will try to adjust your thinking if they find out about it, but if you persist in your different belief of any point no matter how small, they will DF you.

Gotta watch out for the thought police!

• tornapart
    tornapart

My elder husband knows I've read these books.. he knows I read apostate websites and particiapte on apostate forums (like this one)...and he hasn't dobbed me in to anyone...

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Tornapart: Quite a role reversal. He doesn't want to lose his family either. Seems it can work both ways.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

"Tornapart", in my experience most reasonable people keep their study to themselves until the opportune time. I thought I knew someone well, during their "walk-about" they could not contain their newfound information and started to call their spouse "a stupid idiot", "dumb cult member" and finally the spouse went to their elders. Granny Goodness said "more flys with sugar than vinegar" same with JWN resources, tact and correct timing make the case strong, insulting and abusing your spouse forces them to cling on even tighter out of spite! IMHO

• Splash
    Splash

Cold Steel

What do you mean "bombshell"? Is this a recent declaration? Also, what are some of the other NEW teachings? Is there ever a chance that the Org will reverse itself on a doctrine like people not having spirits? Or is that one too big to give up on?

It's so recent that it hasn't been communicated to the R&F yet.

New teachings come out all the time, there's probably something new every 4-6 months, so three new teachings each year?

Splash

• Terry
    Terry

There is a personal dynamic to coercing members which is often overlooked which consists of confrontation, accusation and a demand for statements of loyalty which trigger a reaction of open rebellion in doubters who are investigating the Society for the first time.

A troubled publisher who is searching for answers has doubts already. A person with such doubts psychologically puts loyalty to the side in order to investigate. Their intellect has become starved for straight answers and it is obvious reliance on loyalty just isn't working for them to reassure doubts.

So, being confronted (even bullied) is salt in their wound and very likely to provoke a backlash against the elders who are cornering them.

Imagine a similar scenario of a husband suspecting his wife is cheating on him if he confronts her and she snaps at him angrily.

This is the way elders look upon members who are reading apostate literature. As cheaters who are guilty. By creating a sense of disloyalty and guilt they trigger a backlash reaction of angry response.

But, an honest investigation is the right of every FREE person in an open society!

But, if the JW with Crisis of Conscience keeps their cool and maintains their balance there is no way the elders can get to them.

After all, there are plenty of statements in the Society's publications about honest investigation to back up their effort to read anything they want.

Either a JW has the right to Conscience or they do not. Elders with their warnings and repressive counsel cannot take away a person's right to their own conscience. That would be an open admission of tyranny and cult like control.

It all comes down to the actual language used to respond to Elder pressure and the panic button knee-jerk reactions.

Bottom line?

Say out loud: "It is the guilty party who gets angry when facts are investigated."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit