I'm heading off to go to the Bryant memorial

by seven006 21 Replies latest jw friends

• seven006
    seven006

I really hate funerals and memorials and avoid them as much as I can. Looking back on the few I have attended over the past ten years I guess I only go to them because of the people who are left behind. Since I didn't know the Bryant's or any of their family members I find the draw that I have to this service even more confusing. I hate churches and religious presentations of any kind and just walking into a church has made me cringe ever since I left the JW religion. I have thought about this for several days.

What I have come up with is I am going for the only ones that I do know who the Bryant's left behind, that is all of you guys as well as myself. I fell that the people on this board need to be represented at this service. We, in a very strange way are part of his family and have been ever since the JW's turned their backs and their hearts on the Bryant family. When you are disfellowshipped you enter a no-mans land. You are no longer a JW and you don't quite fit into the rest of the world. It seems like the only ones who come close to understanding who you are is other exJW's. I only wish that Robert could have found this board. Who knows maybe something said or someone here could have helped him if he did. I think about cases like this when the flame wars start. You just never know who is reading our words and what state of mind they are in.

Robert Bryant and his family were one of us as strange as that may sound. We did not cause what he did but maybe we are the only ones on the planet who can at least understand it a little. I'll never understand a person who wants to kill his whole family but maybe it was more that he felt he "needed to" more than "wanted to." I can definitely understand entertaining thoughts about taking my own life because I have had those exact thoughts many years ago. The only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger was the love I had for my kids and the thought that they needed me.

Maybe Robert Bryant's desire to end his life was so overwhelming that the thought of leaving his family behind to possibly be talked into going back to the religion by his parents made him decide to end their lives also. It makes one think, if the control over a persons life is so complete and seen as such a terrible thing that you would rather die and take your family with you, maybe this might open a few eyes. It's tragic that how important or how dangerous something is usually does not become realized until a tragedy occurs.

This whole thing is so sad. I will be taking all of you with me today. You will be in my mind and my heart. I will do my best to represent JW.com with pride and loving understanding.

Dave

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Take my love with you. This is at least the second memorial like this that I know of, and I know others are being held in other places for them.

At least the word is going to get out that, more and more, there are places for a Jehovah's Witness in terrible trouble to go.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Dave,

You always make logical sense. Everything you said I agree with. This forum could not be represented better.

Disfellowshipping is something nobody could ever comprehend or even begin to attempt to. When it happens, you are a disease, and outcast, and it is so horribly upsetting yet you have nobody to turn to in your darkest hour.

My thoughts will be with you.

Love, Hugs and Kisses,
    Amanda

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Seven, I support and applaud your decision to attend the memorial service. I send you my good wishes.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

"What I have come up with is I am going for the only ones that I do know who the Bryant's left behind, that is all of you guys as well as myself. I fell that the people on this board need to be represented at this service."

That is a very kind thing to do. Please send my love along with you.

Shari

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Thank you Dave. I feel as you do about funerals, and if I was closer to Portland I'd be there with you. I suspect you won't be completely alone there, however.

It is very kind of you to represent us.

Thank you.

- Nathan Natas, UADNA
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America)

• AMarie
    AMarie

Seven006:

Take my love with you, Dave. I wish I were within traveling distance to be there also.

Amanda

• JT
    JT

hEY MAN

I'm with you on this issue all the way

only a former jw truly understands the impact, while others can be understanding, unless you looked a SS trooper in the eye while he shot the guy next to you , one really would not fully understand

but I am thankful for all the nonjw who at least are willing to listen and show concern-

i feel just as bad for the jw he left behind - they are like on the Titanic and don't even know it and why cause the org keeps the music playing to drown out the outcries of it's members

yes you do rep all of us in a sorta way that we fully understand i would dare say

thanks

• SUSCARRA
    SUSCARRA

Seven,

Thank you so much for going to the funeral and showing your love and respect. Alamb and myself wanted badly to attend, but our finances are seriously bad. We live in Utah and there was no way we could come up with the money for gas, etc. It makes me feel so helpless.

This is such a sad situation(any death is)and I understand how emotionally difficult it is and will be for you, but maybe you will gain a great deal by attending. Perhaps, also, you will be able to shead more 'light' concerning the cold & calculating methods that the JWs use. My prayers are with you.

Please, let us know how things go. It's my hope that others who are in our situation will be attending and showing support.

May the God of tender mercies be with you all.

SUSCARRA

• waiting
    waiting

Such a bad situation. It's a loving thing to do for the survivors to show your love and concern. Obviously, no local jw's will be there. I would assume they didn't know that many people and the family most likely is still in a state of shock, coming to grips with this tragedy.

Thanks, Dave, for showing us such an outstanding example. What a guy (remembering David Letterman), but you deserve the saying too.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit