JW Speakers

by MavMan 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yes, MavMan, to be honest there were a few. One district overseer and one circuit overseer came to mind, because of their use of illustrations and eye contact.

That having been said, most of the materials the speakers have to deal with are very trite and repetitive. The ONLY way to keep the audience from snoozing off is by injecting great illustrations or by personalizing it (almost to the point of independent thinking).

Similarly, I've been moved by non-JW speakers at self-help or personal improvment seminars, the kind you might attend at a hotel's large conference room. Only in these cases, because the agenda isn't necessarily about pushing a publishing Society's views and literature, but instead on how you can become better and contribute more to the actual happiness of your co-workers and/or family, the speaker had a chance to deliver something enjoyable to his/her audience.

-J.R., member, UADNA-MN
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Minnesota division)

This post was not evaluated by any mental health professionals.
    Any opinions expressed are those of a fuzzy, cuddly rodent.

• Introspection
    Introspection

Well there were many good speakers, but the content left a lot to be desired I'll tell ya what...

• picosito
    picosito

Sydlik was pretty cool, also Baxter, CA DO, who loved to do the "sounds of the swamp [the world] beckoning us to come in: WadeIn -- WadeIn -- KneeDeep -- KneeDeep; WadeIn -- WadeIn -- KneeDeep -- KneeDeep ..." with a deep resonant voice.

Pretty cool speaker, but not too approachable afterwards -- like he was Charlton Heston or somebody.

Feels so good to be a humble frog now.

• WildTurkey
    WildTurkey

Gopher is right,if a speaker sticks to his outline the way the GB wants then it will put you to sleep, but if he adds to it from the heart, it can be a good talk, just not the truth. lol
    here is an out line:
    HOW THE KINGDOM OF GOD AFFECTS YOU

I Note to the speaker:
    Stimulate appreciation for the fact that those who are loyally supporting the Kingdom not only preach the good news of the Kingdom's establishment but live their lives in harmony with the laws of that Kingdom

RULERSHIP BY GOD IS FAR FROM THE MINDS OF MOST PEOPLE (4 min.)
    Most people are materialistic in outlook; think only in terms of what men can do (w71 99-100, 132; w79 7/1 17-18)
    When told of God's Kingdom, they usually have in mind something in another world
    Mankind's condition shows that we need help here on earth from higher Source; Bible points to that help (g85 7/22 3-8)

BIBLE DIRECTS ATTENTION TO GOD'S KINGDOM (10 min.)
    Jesus taught followers to pray for God's Kingdom, to seek it first (Mt 6:10, 33)
    What is that Kingdom? It is a real government with rulers who exercise authority from heaven
    God's purpose is that in time Kingdom will be the only government for all mankind (Re 5:10)
    Consistently, Jesus did not get involved in affairs of governments of his day (Lu 4:5-8; Joh 6:15)
    He urged obedience to secular law but devoted self to preaching about Kingdom (Mt 4:17; 22:21)
    Jesus himself was the Messiah, anointed by God to be King (w82 2/1 21 ΒΆ8)
    John the Baptizer preached that the Kingdom had "drawn near" (Mt 3:2)
    Because Jesus was among them, the Kingdom was 'in their midst' (Lu 17:21; it-2 167; g88 12/22 24; rs 226)
    In various ways Jesus demonstrated the scope of authority of Jehovah's Messianic King
    By God's spirit, Jesus exercised control over wind and sea, vegetation, fish, and food supplies (Mr 4:39; 8:1-9; 11:20, 21)
    Jesus also exercised power over human bodies - healing the blind, deaf, lame, diseased
    He raised the dead and expelled demons from those afflicted (Mt 12:28)
    By his teaching and example, Jesus made clear the right way to live and worship (Jer 10:23; lPe 2:21)
    What he taught was not theories of imperfect men but the word of God the Creator, who knows the purpose of our existence (Joh 8:28, 29)
    Now raised from dead and exalted to heaven, he can handle all mankind's affairs (Eph 1:19b-21)
    A government such as the Kingdom can really solve problems of mankind, and it will (rs 227-32)

WHEN THE KINGDOM BEGAN TO EXERCISE ITS POWER (10 min.)
    Read Colossians 1:13. Does this refer to a future action or something that had already taken place? (w78 3/1
    17-20; it-2 169)At that time, the Son was ruling in his kingdom in heaven; true from Pentecost 33 C.E. onward

God's Kingdom had not begun exercising its power over all mankind (rs 232)
    Over whom was Jesus ruling? According to Colossians 1:1, 2, the holy ones
    Christ had indeed begun to rule but only over Christian congregation, not over mankind
    Christians' adhering to his rule made them stand out as different from the world
    A "little flock" was being taken out from mankind to share in heavenly Kingdom (Lu 12:32)
    Establishment of Kingdom to rule over whole earth was yet future (lCo 4:8; Re 12:10, 12)
    Daniel 7 describes succession of world powers down to 20th century, and then Daniel 7:13, 14 tells of conferring of authority at time of the end but before destruction spoken of in verse 26
    The event described at Daniel 7:13, 14 took place in 1914 in heaven; it involves all peoples, national groups, and languages (w88 6/15 4-6)
    This is the same event that is referred to in the proclamation at Revelation 11:15 (re 171)
    Now every one of us, all mankind, is directly touched by the activities of God's Kingdom

HOW THE ACTIVITY OF GOD'S KINGDOM TOUCHES YOUR LIFE (16 min.)
    Jesus foretold that after his receiving authority over all nations, he would separate people as a shepherd separates sheep from goats (Mt 25:31-33)
    Over what issue? Their treatment of his "brothers," who preach God's Kingdom (Mt 25:40, 45)
    Christ purchased mankind; does not want to destroy them, but gives them opportunity to choose life
    To what extent does Jesus go in offering opportunity to mankind?
    Greatest educational work in world is being carried on
    About 70,000 schools in congregations worldwide train people to teach others about Kingdom; in over 200 lands Witnesses repeatedly go to homes to offer free instruction about Kingdom

No. 42 7/92 Printed in U.S.A.

Among the most widely distributed books in world are those (Bible, Truth book, and so forth) advocating that Kingdom (g88 2/8 11; g90 7/8 28)
    This program of education has continued now for over 70 years; it has reached us, and that is why we are here today
    Facts show that, though nations oppose preaching, Christ has been exercising overriding authority in "kingdom of mankind" since 1914 (Da 4:17)
    The former Soviet Union tried to keep Witnesses out, but as a result of Russia's own policies during World War II and after, they unwittingly took thousands of Witnesses into their land and provided free transport for them to areas that had never had a witness before
    As a result, tens of thousands have taken stand for God's Kingdom (g73 4/8 18; w86 2/1 13-14; g92 2/22 31)
    Witnesses were severely persecuted in Malawi, but when they fled, hundreds of favorably disposed persons threw in their lot with them
    Hundreds studying in refugee camps have been baptized
    Illustrates how violent opposition, instead of stopping the work, furthers the separating of people (w73 264-8)
    How will the further action of God's Kingdom affect your life? (Da 2:44)
    Soon all false religion and political kingdoms of world and their supporters will be destroyed, along with all who persist in being liars, thieves, fornicators, adulterers, or homosexuals
    People can change (lCo 6:11)
    God's Kingdom will make earth a paradise, heal mankind, raise the dead, educate in peace (rs 227-32)
    Question is not merely whether we want to survive or we would like to live under fine conditions in new world
    Rather, are we for God's Kingdom or against it? Do we show in our daily lives that we really want God to rule over us?

SHOWING OUR APPRECIATION FOR GOD'S KINGDOM NOW (5 min.)
    If we really want to live forever as subjects of Jehovah's Messianic Kingdom, then we need to show it now
    Are we vitally interested in God and his laws, a study of the Bible, association with Jehovah's people?
    Do we apply God's law in our lives, making needed changes to conform to his ways? (Mt 7:21)
    Are we helping others to learn about God's Kingdom? (Ac 20:25, 26; Re 22:17)
    The objective of the Kingdom is to restore mankind to a fine relationship with God (lCo 15:24, 28)
    Appreciation for that Kingdom will move us to build and cherish such relationship now

(Adhere closely to the outlined material, and observe the indicated timing of each section. Not all cited texts need be read. Source material in parentheses need not be mentioned)

No. 42 - page 2 TO BE COVERED IN 45 MINUTES

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

District Overseer Dennis Raftopoulos was an excellent speaker, as were Circuit Overseers Anthony Conte and Bob Suter.

I thought Nathan Knorr was OK as a speaker, and Fred Franz was interesting, but quirky and hard to follow. No other GB members that I can recall ever impressed me as speakers.

I thought Sam Herd was decent, too, but he was a DO then, not yet on the GB.

Just my opinion, you understand.

Tom

"At midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do..." ---Bob Dylan
  • sunscapes
    sunscapes
    who loved to do the "sounds of the swamp [the world] beckoning us to come in: WadeIn -- WadeIn -- KneeDeep -- KneeDeep; WadeIn -- WadeIn -- KneeDeep -- KneeDeep ..." with a deep resonant voice.

Welcome to Da Swaaaaaaaaaamp!

Seriously, though, the oratory skills of many JWs is refined in the art of persuasion, reasoning and indoctrination. The ones that do it well get used a lot.

• seedy3
    seedy3

I agree with Farkel, the best speakers were the visiting speakers that never showed up. It would really tick me off, when we thought the speaker was not showing up, and then at the end of the watchtower study, the idiot would show up, either he had car problems or had the times screwed up. GRRRRRRRRRRR, why, oh why didn't he just go back home? he he he he

Seedy

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Only one, because he said he cared, and he did. He showed it. He hardly preached in service, was almost an all-morning break-taker.

He fought in WW2, and was a helluva man. When he spoke, he didn't talk down or make rules. In fact, he detested rules and chided those who ruffled at his common nature; and he did it with humor.

I miss that man, but that's where the list ends.

ashi

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I can't remember his name but there was one good one. We all called him the candy man, because he always had candy for the children. I liked him because he always added humor to his talks.

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I'm afraid I can't remember any talk given by a "mere" elder very clearly.

And there was only one circuit overseer I actively disliked: Doug Bradshaw. He was a relatively poor speaker. Most of his anecdotes were cribbed from conservative Protestant sources -- the awful story of the bridge guard who let his son be run over rather than derail the train was a particular favorite of his.

P.D. Moske and Sam Herd were circuit overseers when I was a JW. They could both give lively talks. Joseph Howard (then also a circuit overseer) added humility and tenderness to the mix. Francis Malaspina always had some exotic tidbits from his missionary years.

But none of them could hold a candle to Rev. Mark Belletini.

http://www.xpandable.com/uu/mb/markpage.html

Gently Feral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit