long time study

by happy-n-alive 17 Replies latest jw friends

• happy-n-alive
    happy-n-alive

so i am 20 now and i had my first study when i was 14. no jehovahs witness relatives and i am currently in my second book with one more chapter to go. the reason it took so long is because it started out very sporadic andd short. anyways, a friend and i were talking and i said i dont think i want to get baptise anytime soon and she said they may want to 'see a return on their investment' -_- so my question is if any witnesses ever got pushy with you about taking the next step after you have studied with them a long time

• A Ha
    A Ha

When I was coming up there was a semi-official six-month rule. If a study wasn't ready to get baptized within six months, you were supposed to move on and stop wasting your time. Few people I knew actually did end their studies, I think primarily because they wanted to be able to record the stat every month.

My advice would be to quit the study. Not to stop wasting their time, but to stop wasting yours.

• happy-n-alive
    happy-n-alive

well thats interesting. i never heard of the 6 month thing here, maybe they take longer when they find persons who are younger. i knew someone who started at 15 and stopped this year. i have been thinking about stopping the study but then i feel bad about it. sigh. so i think i may just finish this last chapter and then decline to do anymore books

• sir82
    sir82

Just dig up some "apostate" questions (on this board or elsewhere) and demand that they answer them before you get dunked.

They won't be able to leave you alone fast enough.

• Nambo
    Nambo

No need to feel guilty about wasting thier time by rejecting thier invitation, just get them to reject you, its so easy, you could pretend that you really really want to get Baptised, and they will say no, go away.

There are plenty of questions you can put to them that you will find here on this forum.

Here are some points I would raise if they ever bothered to ask me to come back.

"In John Chaper 6, Jesus specifically states that if you want everlasting life, you have to eat his flesh and drink his blood, you will not get life if you dont, so I will obey Jesus by partaking at the Memorial each year, is that OK?"

"1914 was arrived at by Russells measurements of a Satanic pyramid, is it right we should belive what the Devil says and therefore call Jesus a liar when he says, "Truly I say to you, this Generation will by no means pass away""

" If I see a JW commit a gross sin, is it true that I would be sinning if I failed to report it?, in which case doesnt that mean I should share my knowledge of the Watchtower society riding on the back of the Beast when it joined the United Nations?"

"Why do you claim the ressurection occurs at the beginning of the 1000 years whereas it states here in Revelation that it happens at the end?"

They will soon realise you are not gullible enough for them.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

well thats interesting. i never heard of the 6 month thing here

The 6-month study program goes back quite a few years ago. It was during the time that the "Truth" Book was in used. "The Truth that Leads to Everlasting Life" was released in about 1968, not long after the WTS published (in 1966) that 1975 would be the end of 6,000 years of mankinds existance on earth and time for Christ's 1,000 year reign to begin. Yes, Armageddon and the End of the World would come in 1975, thus there was no time to waste studying for years...........6 months limit.........."Instant Truth" is was called at the Dist Convention.

Well..............1975 has come and gone, but Armageddon has not. Guess they determined that there really was/is no need to be in such a hurry!

Doc

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Welcome. Do not feel guilt if you decide to end your study. Why you may ask? The reason is that the ones studying with you are benefitting from being able to count the time they spend studying with you, on a little slip of paper collected at the end of the month. To a JW this beats knocking on doors and is what is considered "easy time".

Happy and Alive, you may as well change your name to Miserable and Half-dead, because that is how you will feel after you are baptized and realize all the rules that will suck the life out of you.

Please thoroughly research everything about this religion from outside unbiased sources. I wasted 48 years of my life as a JW. Leslie

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Nambo's technique has worked VERY effectively for me. I wasn't trying to chase anyone off, but I have a saved message of a JW pioneer telling me that she would not longer be studying with me because I was.... oh, ... what was the term. OH! A "fault-finder".

• still thinking
    still thinking

Welcome to the forum....I 'studied' on and off for about 10 years (slow learner lol)

Don't feel guilty, as someone here once told me, they are counting their time with you anyway, so they aren't doing you a favour that needs to be repaid. They already got their moneys worth.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I wasn't trying to chase anyone off, but I have a saved message of a JW pioneer telling me that she would not longer be studying with me because I was.... oh, ... what was the term. OH! A "fault-finder".

Well now, you wouldn't find a fault if someone had not put it there for you to find, would you.

I milked 4 years of study and what ended it was when I said I had studied the Bible with some Christians. Those JWs couldn't get out of there and end it quickly enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit