They won freedom of speech, while steeling mine!

by BackSlider 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

They did just sue and sue until someone heard them. A large coalition of groups similarly affected were actively changing society. The fear of left wing parties died down after the war. A large chunk of American history, thought, and letters was involved. The Witnesses did not operate in a vacuum. In fact, other groups could have been involved in these cases. I have a strong feeling that the ACLU had a litigation masterplan that the Witnesses fit. The Witnessses must have driven the ACLU lawyers crazy.

Similar to Nixon's enemies list or Hoover's special targets, there is a honor roll of true Americans persecuted during these years. I also suspect that law professors wrote special law review articles so the Court would be influenced in favor of the Witness' liberty.

Different legal issues face the Witnesses now. They are Goliath now. The law is not so clear. It is not motivation for law school profs to write articles. Besides, the justices have signaled how little they think of law review articles now.

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

If JWS ever became a majority, society would become like the movie "I am legend" for the ones that didn't agree with them. Zombies everywhere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewpYq9rgg3w

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Oh, even when they were litigating their Free Speech rights before the American courts, they denied freedom of expression to those who opposed them. I was born shortly after WWII so I was surrounded by children whose father or relatives fought for freedom. My own father was granted a religious exemption. Yet on a regular basis, I heard how no good the United States was. Part of me admired their Chrstianity for not playing favorites but the larger part of me wondered how we would fare as Witnesses with the Nazis as victors. Cuba presented the same question. The United States was bad during the Bay of Pigs and later, the Cuban Missle Crisis. Thank God I did not live as a Witness under Castro.

My family always made a clear distinction between Jehovah's rule and the rule of the brothers. If I could not tolerate the closed minded attitudes at the KH, how could I survive all of eternity under their theocracy! I would rather die at Armageddon.

Before I left, the Beatles, Dylan, or some Beat thing was deplorable at the KH. My allegiances were clear. I would just sit there and fight from laughing out loud at them. John Lennon's voice would go through my mind. Bob Dylan lyrics would echo in my mind. It is funny to this day. My Paraphenalia miniskirts had to grab their attention. They made all my youthful passions so much more precious to me. Other kids could take them for granted. I never could.

I knew, courtesy of my family, about all the drama at Bethel. This brother being force to leave for doing a great job as a Witness radio host. That brother....Hayden Covington -- Was he or was he not disfellowshiped?

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

WT won their freedom of speech while stealing mine. Ain't that the damdest truth!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

They did not steal your freedom of speech in a legal sense. The reality is that if you an active Witness, your speech is constrained by WT doctrine and practice. They never pretended to be free speech partisans, though. ACLU lawyers have represented a whole host of reprehensible groups and individuals. Think of the Nazis in Skokie. They represent KKK members who burn crosses on their own property. There is a gallows humor concerning it.

They will diss the United States then going running for its freedoms. Of course, not one of them will ever defend the country when its homeland or interests are in peril. No, the country is merely some beasts from Revelation. The reality is they should kneel and pray that they are American and enjoy certain protections b/c of it. Number one protection should be the freedom to incorporate to isolate assets.

• Violia
    Violia

I have heard it explained that freedom of religion guaranteed by the constitution is for the individual , not really the church. That would if true, protect the individual from an oppressive religion. Isn't that why the founding fathers wanted, freedom from oppressive religion ? I don't think that gives a religion carte Blanche to do anything to you under the guise of religious freedom. I don't lose my civil rights just b/c i walk into a KH.( they would like you to think so)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit