Family Worship Night... ugh. How about this..?

by Muddy Waters 16 Replies latest jw friends

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Welcome "Good JW!"

How you respond to the "encouragement" depends on how feisty you are and whether you're prepared to take the flak you get if they get huffy about your resistance. If you relish confrontation go ahead and throw some questions at them (www.jwfacts.com is a good resource), but if you want to "fade" out of the organization you should smile and thank them for their encouragement. Then go take a shower.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

We had to 'study'(TM) the watchtower as a family on a Saturday night after Dr Who. This was back in the late '60's early '70's when the study articles seemed 100 paragraphs long.

Before my Dad died I told him I used to love Dr Who but it was spoiled by the watchtower study(TM) after.

He said that he didn't like doing it but didn't know of any other way!

• Good JW
    Good JW

cobaltcupcake, thanks! Definitely not confrontational, but with what I've learned don't think I can hold back! May prepare a little speech with scriptures etc...then again, I like the elders so don't want to upset them lol

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is nearing that time of year when another type of "family worship" will become mainstream. This can be taken in so many different ways, and when done properly, is more fun and satisfying than any boasting session or even a regular church session could ever be. Christians, agnostics, atheists, and Satanists can participate and benefit to the full from doing this. The "family worship" lasts about a month and culminates in tons of fun.

The procedure: You will need one tree (live, cut, or artificial), as many LED lights as you can get your hands on (incandescent will work but are more energy intensive and some incandescent bulbs can get hot enough to damage sensitive items or start a fire, plus blow fuses), ornaments, a wreath (natural or artificial), lengths of tinsel garland (you can use paper chains or other types of garland if you prefer), pine/spruce garland (real or artificial), and whatever other pieces you see fit to get. Start by placing some of the stand-alone pieces up in festive colors. Gradually place garlands and wreaths where appropriate, place the tree and decorate with the lights and ornaments. You can also decorate some of the garlands or wreaths with lights and ornaments as you see fit. A cut tree must be kept well-watered as it can become a fire hazard.

You may also wish to make up cards. Also, shopping for gifts enhances the experience. Take the children with you at least once so they can share in the sights and sounds of the festival. You will need festive wrapping paper and tape (plain paper will do but does not add festivity). Also, prepare now for the baking session ahead. You will be baking pies, cakes, and/or cookies for this occasion. A true formal setting is not necessary, but I do recommend getting that fine china prepared and prepare for gatherings. You might also be traveling to visit relatives and friends you don't get to see during other times of the year.

The object is that you gradually complete these tasks during December. Christians have the option of reading stories about the Nativity scene and displaying or participating in a Nativity scene. Secular observers have the option of just enjoying the lights and tree, plus the anticipation of what's under that tree and in the stocking. Even Satanists get in on the act--you observe the pagan sun-worship ceremony and display the decorations to map your soul. These are actually pretty close to how most people display their decorations, since virtually everything from Christianity has pagan origins. (Not to mention, placing 144,000 lights on a tree would be mighty impressive; just do the best you can with excessive numbers of undersized lights). You can enjoy the festival, learn more about either Christ or your own soul (or both, if you choose), learn the value of giving and receiving, and learn the value of taking care of your stuff.

The up side is that you can adjust to your tastes. Many people are big on decorations, while others enjoy a simple tree with a few dozen ornaments and a few C7 or C9 LEDs for lights. Many are big on the baking, while others will settle for simpler things. You can tailor it to fit whatever religion, if any, you wish to observe. The children will not be bored or be frightened--there is no threats beyond "You will get coal in your stocking if you are bad" in Christmas (a far cry from graphic depictions of destruction).

This festival, known as Christmas, is sure to make a more lasting impression on everyone. Christian, atheist, pagan--everyone gets in on it. There is something for virtually every religious taste including no religion. And, no commitment. You might display a Christian theme this year, only to realize it's all fake next year and display more pagan and festive themes next year and go back the following year. No baptism, no dedication, no need to keep up with someone else's expectations beyond yours and your children's. Just fun, enlightenment, joy, and the knowledge that what you are doing now is setting you and your family to endure the harsh winter ahead.

• Good JW
    Good JW

WTWizard: What is your agenda? Sounds like you are mocking and trying to stir up shame. If I'm mistaken please forgive me (new here) and ignore what I say next...

Christmas customs (time period and gifts/decorations) originate from distant pagan practices which nobody really has any idea about (where/why exactly...nobody can be absolute). It is hardly doing it for the same "false religious" purposes that the pagans may have done it for. It is no more unChristian than it is unChristian "to eat foods that were sacrificed to idols". Foods sacrificed to idols were used for false religion, yet Paul said that these idols meant nothing to him (just like pagan origins mean nothing to a Christian) and that food was just food . Christmas is not about worshiping pagan gods - it is a communal thing (a custom). If you chose to follow a certain custom that does not go against Christian principles, then it's up to your own conscience.

Romans 14:3-5

The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not (eat foods sacrificed to false gods), and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

1 Corinthians 8:1-4, 7

Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. But the man who loves God is known by God. So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one...But not everyone knows this. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat such food they think of it as having been sacrificed to an idol, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled.

For me, currently I find it hard to accept these customs (like a Jew finding it hard to disregard the Mosaic Law and eat something which is considered idolatrous). However, for my wife, she was raised in the "world" and only considers this custom ***family time*** (that's it...she doesn't do the decor/hats/crackers etc...that's her choice). Neither my wife or myself judge each other for conscientious decisions made.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

Good JW... you really are a good JW...... LOL

Family study night sucked !! fo sho

• Good JW
    Good JW

Tater - nah I'm really bad actually, didn't use the WT CD-ROM in my answer (feel so guilty)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit