Seven new Saints announced - 2 from U.S. - Mother Teresa overlooked.

by james_woods 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• james_woods
    james_woods

Rather ironic, I thought - the day after Italy put the earthquake scientists in jail: http://apnews.myway.com/article/20121021/DA21TB6O1.html The word on Mother Teresa is that yet another verified miracle is required by the rules. The inside word is that there is still too much negative contraversy made my a number of women who worked for her. It just seems that this current Pope is never - ever - going to be popular to even a fraction as much as the previous.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Thanks very much for posting that, James, and for the link as well.

• james_woods
    james_woods

You are welcome, Charliko.

What I am reading on the board where I found this is that many Catholics think that it is far to easy today to be proclaimed a saint.

There is also a surprising amount of negative feedback about Mother Teresa.

Strange that this did not even make the morning TV news - at least the ones I saw today.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    The word on Mother Teresa is that yet another verified miracle is required by the rules.

Sounds like some arbitrary nonsense similar to how COs and elder bodies shoot down potential appointments over petty crap like, "he could be more hospitable by inviting over the pioneers for dinner more often."

The inside word is that there is still too much negative contraversy made my a number of women who worked for her.

I was never aware of this. What's the controversy? Was she tough on the women who worked for her? Or is this typical catty backbiting common when more than two or three women are in a department?

It just seems that this current Pope is never - ever - going to be popular to even a fraction as much as the previous.

I get the feeling he doesn't care about popularity. He's a tough old school codger, set in his ways with stubborness forged only like the Germans know how. He reminds me of Ted Jaracz. Just a stubborn and bitter old bastard.

• james_woods
    james_woods

The Mother Teresa contraversy seems to be based on a strange doctrine she supported called "purity through suffering".

It was apparantly taught that the starving and diseased people were purified by their condition, and in some cases her staff thought that she was concentrating too much on their "spiritiual conditions" rather than practical aid such as food and medicine.

Many ended up dying under the care of her refugee camps, and some are saying that in some cases it could have been prevented.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Seems there is controversy about her:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Mother_Teresa

Quality of medical care

In 1991, Dr. Robin Fox, editor of the British medical journal The Lancet visited the Home for Dying Destitutes in Calcutta (now Kolkata) and described the medical care the patients received as "haphazard". He observed that sisters and volunteers, some of whom had no medical knowledge, had to make decisions about patient care, because of the lack of doctors in the hospice. Dr. Fox specifically held Teresa responsible for conditions in this home, and observed that her order did not distinguish between curable and incurable patients, so that people who could otherwise survive would be at risk of dying from infections and lack of treatment. [citation needed]

Fox conceded that the regimen he observed included cleanliness, the tending of wounds and sores, and kindness, but he noted that the sisters' approach to managing pain was "disturbingly lacking". The formulary at the facility Fox visited lacked strong analgesics which he felt clearly separated Mother Teresa's approach from the hospice movement. There have been a series of other reports documenting inattention to medical care in the order's facilities. Similar points of view have also been expressed by some former volunteers who worked for Teresa's order. Mother Teresa herself referred to the facilities as "Houses of the Dying". [citation needed]

In contrast to the conditions at her homes, Mother Theresa sought medical treatment for herself at renowned medical clinics in the United States, Europe, and India, drawing charges of hypocrisy from critics such as Hitchens. [6]

[edit] Destination of donations

It has been alleged by former employees of Mother Teresa's order that Teresa refused to authorize the purchase of medical equipment, and that donated money was instead transferred to the Vatican Bank for general use, even if it was specifically earmarked for charitable purposes. [citation needed] See Missionaries of Charity for a detailed discussion of these allegations. Mother Teresa did not disclose her order's financial situation except where she was required to do so by law. [citation needed]

[edit] Penn & Teller: Bullshit!

The Showtime program Penn & Teller: Bullshit! has an episode titled "Holier than Thou" that criticizes Mother Teresa, as well as Mahatma Gandhi and the 14th Dalai Lama. The show criticizes Mother Teresa's controversial relationships with Charle

• james_woods
    james_woods

Very interesting, Frankiespeaking - that was consistent with what I had recalled about these issues.

I am sure her efforts must have done some good for some people - but obviously it was far from perfect.

I have always wondered if she were perhaps not the victim herself of the rabid publicity that seemed to follow her everywhere...

(of course, some will say she encouraged the publicity) -

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

James she was a pawn in the RCC game. She no doubt is a better person than me,, which all depends on how you evaluate a person worth or what have you.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    It was apparantly taught that the starving and diseased people were purified by their condition, and in some cases her staff thought that she was concentrating too much on their "spiritiual conditions" rather than practical aid such as food and medicine.
    Many ended up dying under the care of her refugee camps, and some are saying that in some cases it could have been prevented.

I never knew this, very intresting. That's actually sick. The only beef I ever had with her was her stance against contraceptives. It's irresponsible to say the least for someone to discourage contraception amongst those living in poverty and sickness. The folks in this country making all these damn babies while surviving on the State is bad enough. Mother Teresa took it to another level by going to countries and discouraging contraception where the poverty and ilk that comes with that territory makes the welfare types in this country look like middle class citizens. Her actions in that regard was like the sexual version of the Fast & Furious debacle.

He observed that sisters and volunteers, some of whom had no medical knowledge, had to make decisions about patient care, because of the lack of doctors in the hospice. Dr. Fox specifically held Teresa responsible for conditions in this home, and observed that her order did not distinguish between curable and incurable patients, so that people who could otherwise survive would be at risk of dying from infections and lack of treatment. [citation needed]

Fox conceded that the regimen he observed included cleanliness, the tending of wounds and sores, and kindness, but he noted that the sisters' approach to managing pain was "disturbingly lacking". The formulary at the facility Fox visited lacked strong
    analgesics
    which he felt clearly separated Mother Teresa's approach from the
    hospice
    movement. There have been a series of other reports documenting inattention to medical care in the order's facilities. Similar points of view have also been expressed by some former volunteers who worked for
    Teresa's order
    . Mother Teresa herself referred to the facilities as "Houses of the Dying". [citation needed]
    In contrast to the conditions at her homes, Mother Theresa sought medical treatment for herself at renowned medical clinics in the United States, Europe, and India, drawing charges of hypocrisy from critics such as Hitchens. [6]

So she was a blazing hypocrite too. Although to be fair, I imagine that others who've been granted sainthood have probably benefited from not being as popular and hence less scrutinized than Mother Teresa.

I have always wondered if she were perhaps not the victim herself of the rabid publicity that seemed to follow her everywhere...

We read similar arguments on here regarding die hard JWs, and even the GB. Valid argument as most on here will say that the average JW is an ok person but is brainwashed. A La' "Father forgive them for they......"

• cofty
    cofty

Mother Teresa was an odious little woman with the greatest PR machine in the history of celebrity.

She was not a friend of the poor she made a cult of poverty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit