Confessions of a Paid Disinformation Internet Shill

by NoStonecutters 20 Replies latest social current

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

No, I think you are right EP it's not his story. Nor is it the only one out there like it.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Shills, paid or otherwise, are not that hard to spot. Just look for blinding obeience to a position despite facts, an unwillingness to even look or acknowledge evidence that might contradict the point they want to make.

Thanks, Beks.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

To clarify, what I said refers to the author of the quoted article--not to NoStoneCutters.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Yup, the internet is full of people who post fake reviews for businesses, or manage their products reps. Do religions do it, as part of a strategy of disinformation? No doubt.... I admin'ed a large forum of musicians, and occasionally we'd get posters who favorably mentioned certain manufacturers products, ot posted glowing reviews with eyebrow-raising regularity (99% of their posts); some honestly disclosed their affiliation in their posts (as required by law), and others didn't. So you've gotta read EVERYTHING you see on the Net with a jaundiced eye, as you never can tell motives.

I posted the other day about how the WTBTS paid a JW under the table to write a book under a pseudonym (Marley Cole) via a Worldly publishing company, thinking that they'd get interest if it looked like the book was coming from a Worldly author; that was back in the 1950's. It's hard to imagine the WT hasn't adapted to the internet, or uses a secular PR firm (or owned by witnesses) to manage YouTube videos, etc. There's a few out there that I was suspicious of, but didn't find any connections.

It's not really a big deal, IMO, unless the person is intentionally trying to discredit or damage the reputation of all JW apostates, trying to paint us with a broad brush that makes everyone here appear to be the WT's characterization of the stereotypical mentally-diseased, hate-filled, 'dismissive of the facts' apostate. It's not hard to imagine that some brothers may be assigned that as a "special project", doing whatever they can to keep doubting JWs from learning accurate information about TTATT on JWN, or spamming the site with Illuminati crapola to bury the good under the trash, etc.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    It's not really a big deal, IMO, unless the person is intentionally trying to discredit or damage the reputation of all JW apostates, trying to paint us with a broad brush that makes everyone here appear to be the WT's characterization of the stereotypical mentally-diseased, hate-filled, 'dismissive of the facts' apostate. It's not hard to imagine that some brothers may be assigned that as a "special project", doing whatever they can to keep doubting JWs from learning accurate information about TTATT on JWN, or spamming the site with Illuminati crapola to bury the good under the trash, etc.

Oh you mean like the poster "Recovery"? He hasn't been around lately. Last time I saw him he was under a new name claiming he was a battered JW looking for answers. Hmmmmmm.

-Sab

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Pfff... highlight any part of this garbage and you will see Google has a plethora of sites with this 'cut and past' crap. To ignore.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Those shills get around. Here, and everywhere.

Reminds me of Operation Mockingbird.

operation mockingbird

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I'm sure this kind of thing happens. Justifies a certain level of cynicism about anything written on the internet.

• Satanus
    Satanus

In a way, it's good. Many people can get sucked in for a while, until they learn about users, propaganda and seduction methods. Before the internet, all those tactics were imbedded within the popular media and fewer people could pick up on it. It still goes on there, of course. It's just that w more freedom and a virtual explosion of information, the chances of learning how to handle it increase.

S

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

To answer your questions, no, I did not write this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit