When You Were A JW Were You Disturbed By "Apostate" Literature or "Apostates" At Conventions?

by minimus 47 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I was always curious about what they had to say. (I guess I was an apostate in the making).

• cedars
    cedars

Consciously, no. Subliminally, quite possibly.

Signs saying things like "don't be slaves of the Watchtower!" used to grate with me. I think they hit a nerve.

Cedars

• minimus
    minimus

I used to wonder, Why do they say that?

I always would go to the library and read "apostate" books and then I'd go to the KH library and read the publications for verification.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

It was apostate literature that my Dad picked up off the grounds while leaving a convention. One of JWs with him grabbed it from his hands , crumpled it and threw it on the ground declaring it to be APOSTATE LITERATURE. Curious, my Dad snuck back later and picked it up and read it. This was I believe the first turning point in his withdrawl from the organization.

• minimus
    minimus

I love hearing that. The forbidden fruit!

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

I remember almost being short of breathe reading apostate lit. I remember praying after and being scared of demons. so ridiculous. I can't believe I was so indoctrinated.

• Open mind
    Open mind

As a kid, I always found it kind of exciting and entertaining if there were sign-waving apostates outside a DC.

I thought that most of the sign wavers seemed like they were off their meds, but, equally, it was amusing seeing some of the paranoid responses by true-blue JWs.

om

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

I've seen signs with a string of many dates, going back to the 1840s, that I never understood.

I now know that these dates represented Watchtower's failed predictions. And the 1840s dates, which I knew were pre-Russell, were the failures of the second adventists and William Miller, whose works Russell later studied.

• minimus
    minimus

I did think that when they were screaming at the Witnesses, it was a turn-off.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I wondered why they just didn't go set up their own churches where they could preach their venom.

Evil Slave.

Doc (who drank the KoolAid)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit