How Many Hours Did You Spend Going to the Meetings and Ministry?

by God_Delusion 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

I spent far too many. In fact, I recently created a spreadsheet and documented how many hours I spent in total per week. It's so depressing.

If you want to see how many hours a standard Jehovah's Witness (like me) spent going to the:

• Public Talk
    • Watchtower Study
    • Theocratic Ministry School
    • Service Meeting
    • Book Study
    • Field Ministry

each week, take a look at my article which summarises it for you http://www.jehovahswitnessblog.com/meetings/are-the-meetings-and-ministry-a-burden/

Warm regards,
    Jaymes

• solomon
    solomon

As noted on your blog, the time more than doubles when you include preparation, travel and time wasted waiting on others.

I've already wasted a whole year of my life just travelling to and attending CONventions and ASSemblies. It adds up fast!

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

4 hours a day minimum on average over 25 years. 36,000 hours. 4.2 years of life. Damn.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Jehovah loves a cheerful giver!

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

It amounts to much more than a tithing.

Just take your hourly income/earning rate multiplied by the hours spent for meetings and ministry. See for yourself whether or not it surpasses the 10% mark of your weekly or monthly income; and that figure does not even include gasoline or public transportation charges.

15 What is included in this spiritual tithe? For one thing, we give Jehovah of our time and energy. The time we spend at meetings, in attending assemblies and conventions, in the field service, all of this is something given to Jehovah—a part of our tithe. The time and energy we spend visiting the sick and helping others—again, these are part of our tithe. Assisting in constructing Kingdom Halls and sharing in the work of maintaining and cleaning the hall are likewise a part.
    16 Our tithe also includes our financial contributions.

1992 The Watchtower, December 1, page 16, pars. 15-16

In our day the tithe represents the time, energy, and finances that are used directly in Jehovah’s service and in support of the Kingdom work. The tithe includes the time we spend at meetings, assemblies, and conventions, as well as in maintaining and cleaning our meeting places.

Our Kingdom Ministry, May 1993, page 3, par. 7

• Sauerkraut
    Sauerkraut

I really, really don't want to even think about it.

• sir82
    sir82

But...isn't it a privilege to go to meetings? Aren't we spiritually refreshed each and every time? Isn't it all so upbuilding?

Yeah me neither.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

For my entire 23 years, I was a "low-hour" publisher.

Post-Bethel, I rarely got more than two hours in any given month. I sometimes turned in 15 minutes.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

sir82 said: But...isn't it a privilege to go to meetings? Aren't we spiritually refreshed each and every time? Isn't it all so upbuilding?

I'd rather go to the dentist and get some root canal work done than go to a meeting anymore. And yet, I will be going again this Sunday at my wife's request. I'm going to note how many times I get the cold shoulder vs the 'haven't seen you in a long time' greeting. Can't wait. I'm sure the elders will try to set something up so they can 'encourage' me. So much love...

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

LWT- I sent you a PM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit