No wonder it's iron and clay mixed...

by konceptual99 25 Replies latest jw friends

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19929249

I really didn't realise that words like "row" and "frock" are not common in the US.

Glad to see "autumn", "queue", "numpty", "muppet" making a splash over there.

Even "chav" and "innit" are being used apparently.

Hey all you Irish/Scottish/Welsh/English posters, what other words should our friends over the water be using?

Wassock, fathead, plonker are three off the top of my head.

• Splash
    Splash

'Please' and 'thank you' come to mind.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    what other words should our friends over the water be using?

Whenever I drink tea, I always make sure to have a 'spot' of it.

Incidentally, 'spotted' and 'dick' are two words that should never be used together.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Do you have a splash of milk in your tea?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Never my tea. But my coffee, yes.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think the friends across the pond could learn to end a phone conversation properly with "Goodbye" or "Seeya", not just "Click", that's rude.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yes, I can attest an increase in usage of "queue" over my lifetime.

One expression that never will be popular here: "hire" in the sense of "rent". This always sounds plain stupid to me. "I hired a car". "orly? how much are you going to pay it? is it a good worker? does it enjoy working for you? does it get fired if you are displeased with it?"

• shamus100
    shamus100

The term "hire" is used quite a bit around the world, not just in the UK. ;) Ever think that it's you that sounds weird?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Phizzy said:

I think the friends across the pond could learn to end a phone conversation properly with "Goodbye" or "Seeya", not just "Click", that's rude.

Maybe that would happen less if you quit making international crank calls (eg asking callers if their toilet is running)!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I thought the Brits were invented politeness?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit