Whats the cruelest thing a JW has eva done to you

by VioletAnai 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

ONE of the meanest things they did to me?Out of many!I had sent a letter of disassociation probably 20 years ago.My JW Mother and Father in law were having a 60th wedding anniversary party.My JW sister in law in NY was helping to plan it.Well I had met several of the JW's from my mother and father in laws congregation and we were friendly.Even went to lunch together.(My hubby is inactive)We had received a invitation in the mail addressed to my husband and myself!We were all excited!I was busy getting the clothes ready and a present.I even demanded the grown grandkids go.(3)And their children.So I had arranged for everyone on our side to go to surprise them.They hadn't seen the whole family for a long time.It was to be in a rented hall.Not the Kingdom hall.Also invited was my mother in laws sister and her family who had studied years ago but now were "worldy".To make a long story short.A few days before the party my husband received a call from his JW sister in N.Y.It seems they had made a error when they invited me!I was uninvited.I was so mad!Not because I wasn't going,but because they waited so long to tell me and excluded only me ,not the other ex JW relatives!!.They caused an uproar in my family.Everyone had to choose what they were going to do.It turned out that no one went from our family.That made me feel so good,but angered me because it was probably the last time the Mother and Father in law would have a chance to see us all together!They didn't even know about it until it was all over!It was all his sister!It seemed they had talked to an elder of their choice there in NY and he thought there might be a chance I could stumble someone!(Remember they would have lunch with me when hubby and I were visiting his mom,they also knew my history as a JW) This was in spite of the person doing the arranging here asking her Elder and him saying it was OK.Now none of my grown kids want anything to do with the sister and brother in law.2 of my 3 kids do go visit the Grandma!!The Grandpa passed away about a year after that.I wrote her a letter after it was all over and she replied with some scripture based reasoning of course.We didn't talk for a long time after that.Later she had to depend on us to pick her up at the airport so she could go visit her mom!So she decided to get friendly again!Hypocrites! One of my many many stories! GG

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

I can think of two instances. The first was when I was studying. I have always been a fairly patriotic person and back in the sixties, although it frightened the hell out of me, enlisted in the US Army and served in Vietnam. The man I studied with was a WW2 generation guy who never served a day and didn't become a JW until the fifties, long after the war. When my veteran status came out, he promptly let me know how "stupid" I was for going.

Thes eond was right after I went inactive, trying to just fade away. Another elder came by and was encouraging me to come back and go out in service. As I explained why I was staying away, even he admitted I had been done dirty, but also said that there was nothing the elders could do to help until I got my meeting attendance and service hours back up. DUH! They were down becuase of the treatment I received and if they came back up, that would mean that I had resolved the problem, without them! Anyway, during the conversation we discussed my grown daughters and how they displayed more Christian attitude and genuine caring for others than the majority of JWs do. He had met my daughters and even had to agree. But, he also informed that the way I raised them (as a single Dad before becoming a JW) meant nothing because they hadn't become JWs with me. Needless to say, that was the last time I saw that "brother."

My daughters and I are very close and will not tolerate anyone belittling their raising.

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

[email protected] laughed out loud over that one!!

Hey terafera...where you been girl? And if you look close up...some movie stars have freckles...how dare sister hunchback say that to you!!

All your stories are great...we should put them together in a bound volume I love reading about other people's experiences....and this is the best place for it!

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

I am to speak for myself as I don't think the non-neverbeen-JWs would agree with me.

I have to say that the cruelest thing(s) that a JW did to me were:
    1) Making promises and not keeping them, in other words, LIE.
    2) Being Shifty Two-Faces: 1 minute, they are your friend and they treat you real nice. The next minute, you are nobody to them and pretend that they don't know you as well as they are pretending too much.

my 2 cents.

• AMarie
    AMarie

The most angered and hurt that I'd ever been as a JW was the night I was disfellowshipped.

To give a little background info on the situation, although I had been inactive for a few years, about a month before I was DF'd a nosy, gossiping sister had been following me all over town to find out what I was doing. I had been staying with a guyfriend of mine because the husband of the JW couple I was living with was pushing me to have an affair with him. This nosy lady, of coarse, had seen me staying the night with this gentleman and told the elders. Due to the mere way it looked, I was disfellowshipped.

The night that I was to be disfellowshipped, instead of being pissed off with this woman, I walked up to her before the announcement and told her that I wasn't angry with her and that she was only doing what she felt was right. Instead of being friendly back, she looked me in the eye, pointed her finger and said "she might forgive me for what I've done"!!! As if she was God himself. I still get pissed off just thinking about that.

• musky
    musky

I was about 22 years old.At an assembly,a friend of mine who worked in the sound department, asked if I could bring food to the others working in the sound booth area. When I brought them there food, I stated I had not seen this area before and how interesting it looked. In reply one of them said, " you did your job, now get out of here". I felt bad the rest of the assembly. I feel angry at how they treated me even now 15 years later.

• larc
    larc

The cruelest thing was something they didn't do. When my wife gave birth to our first child, she tore inside and lost a lot blood. As a result, she was very weak when she came home from the hospital. At the time, we were inactive, but still attended meetings occasionally. Neither my mother, nor my wife's mother would come over to help. I had to hire a kindly Witness woman to be with my wife, while I was at work. We didn't have much money then, and it was a real strain on our budget. That incident still bothers me, many years later, when I think about it.

• chezza
    chezza

You poor thing larc and i can sympathize with you i had a similar experience when my daughter was close to death because of being born prematurely, not one single witness from the hall came to see me in hospital when we were struggling with the blood issue.

• flower
    flower

Sorry to hear all these sad stories...

gosh there are so many for me. but most of them were done to me by jw family members. i cant even list all the family cruelty from beating to switchings to being forced to sleep in a wet, moldy basement or on the floor for months at a time. but family doesnt count..

i think one of the things done by non family jws that hurt the most was when i was a teen. there were a lot of us kids and whatever gathering or get together was going on in the hall we would usually get an invitation addressed to 'the _____ family' or if it was just for us kids it would just say 'the _____'s kids'.

Anyway when I was entering my teens to late teens I was still attending meetings and was active. I was a loner and was depressed most of the time but I guess what they saw was an outsider, a snob or something like that. Once a couple of my sisters and brothers moved out we started to get invitations that were clearly only addressed to my remaining siblings, with their names listed individually and with my name mysteriously missing.

The first couple times I honestly thought that it could have been an oversight because I was quiet and there 'are' a lot of us kids so I figured they just forgot my name. My nieve mom though the same thing and encouraged me to call them and advise them of their oversite. But I realized soon enough that that was not the case. i didnt want to go to there stupid boring parties anyway because i was to uncomfortable around people and was quite the loner but the idea of being left out delibrately was hurtful to me.

so thats when I started getting shunned and I was just an innocent, confused, depressed kid who hadnt even thought about committing any gross wrongdoing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit