Flirting with going Vegetarian, anyone of you ever graduate from simply thinking about it?

by Theocratic Sedition 38 Replies latest jw friends

• What Now?
    What Now?

@DATA-DOG - google Mimi Kirk

• baltar447
    baltar447

Look into Paleo instead.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

She looks really happy!!

I eat a balanced diet and look like this:

How much is nature and how much is nurture? I won't say ALL vegans look bad, just the one's I have seen. Of course a certain " herb " was a huge part of their diet!!

• jgnat
    jgnat

The closest I've come is one vegetarian main course a week. I am a nutrition nut, though. I'm big on balanced plates, as it really helps keep my blood sugars within normal. I also experiment with old/new grains.

How about including eggs in your vegetarian routine? It's an amazing nutritional package.

Vegetarians have to work really hard to get the proteins, iron, and B vitamins that an omnivore takes for granted. I strongly suggest you get your iron and B-vitamin levels checked before you go vegetarian, and then get them checked a year afterward. You may cheat and take supplements for the iron and B vitamins.

My vegetarian neighbours boasted that they never had to worry about their food going bad. Have dried lentils and beans in your cupboard and you will always have something on hand.

My favorite vegetarian proteins: chickpeas, edamame.

My favorite B-vitamin source: Broccoli, Kale.

Mushrooms are a "nothing" except a little texture. They imitate meat, though. Try the dehydrated mushrooms, with the broth they are reconstituted in.

It is an urban legend that you have to have all the essential amino acids in a single meal in order for your body to use the protein.

Here are some great recipes that will help you forget how healthy you are eating.

Savory Lentil Casserole

Snackable Chickpeas (You don't need to use canned chickpeas. Buy the dried and soak overnight)

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Sorry, I'm a die hard meat lover.

When I order pizza, I ask for the Meat Lovers one, and ask for extra meat.

When I walk into a forest....the animals run to the city.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I did it back in the 80's for 5 years when there were a lot less options then now. In Los Angelesa, it's really easy to eat out and keep the diet

• perfect1
    perfect1

Try it and see how you feel. Ive done it before. I think it works better if you live in a warmer climate. Hard to make it through a cold winter as a vegan.

• milola
    milola

Not vegetarian but eatingwell.com Has some incredible recipes.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I went vegetarian, mostly vegan last January right after I ate all the crap I bought for the holidays. I'm really enjoying it. I went veg about ten years ago but drifted back to meat eating. I did lose weight and felt real good on it but back then there were fewer options as Wha Happened mentioned. Now it is pretty easy. When I first went vegan (mostly) last year I had a Vegas trip planned. We stayed at the Wynnn because Steve Wynn is a Vegan so he sees to it that his hotels have great vegan options. We had no problem finding great meals. If you like to cook it can be a lot of fun and makes the tranistion easier. There are so many good cook books out there. Here are some of the ones I like:

Cooking Vegan for Carnivores by Roberto Martin. The Sexy Vegan by Brian Patton. Brian has some very funny videos on Youtube. Everytime I ask him something on facebook he replies..great guy. The Happy Herbivore, Linsay Nixon has some good books. Anything by Isa Chandra Moskowitz is wonderful. Cloe's Kitchen is great. The best way to go vegan overall is the way recommended by: Forks over Knives, Engine 2, Mcdougall etc.

All of these people have websites or blogs. Isa Chandra's is the Post Punk Kitchen. If you are on facebook and type in vegan you'll find a lot of helpful information. Some good places to check out there are: Vegetarians in Paradise, Post Punk Kitchen, Sexy Vegan, Eco-Vegan Gal.

PM me if you want to talk further about this.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

you meant vagitarian?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit