What would you do?

by screwproof 10 Replies latest jw friends

• screwproof
    screwproof

I have been going to another church now for quite a while, the Elders do know this and confirmed this when they visited me over something else. However I have no idea if I have been disfellowshipped or not, should I call them and find out, or just let it go? I cant really say that it doesn't bother me, because I would like to know. I do know that I am being shunned, but thats been going on now for a while. Do they have to notify me, or can they just do it without letting me know anything?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

They do not have to notify you.

Given the details you've provided, it's safe to assume that they have announced that you are no longer a JW.

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

You are supposed to be informed of a judicial committee.if you do not go,and they feel they have evidence, they can df you anyway, but most would try several times to get you to come. They also must notify you of the decision.

Not saying they all follow the rules, but I'd like to believe most do.

• finally awake
    finally awake

Would they bother notifying you if they were going to treat your "offense" as a voluntary disassociation rather than a disfellowshipping? The announcement and the shunning are the same, so there's really no material difference other than not needing to convene a judicial committee for a disassociation.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Recently, my younger brother was disfellowshipped without an invitation to a judicial committe, and without notification of the announcement. This happens all the time. The rules are whatever three local elders agree upon.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

You are supposed to be informed of a judicial committee.if you do not go,and they feel they have evidence, they can df you anyway, but most would try several times to get you to come. They also must notify you of the decision.

While the above statement regarding disfellowshipping is true, they DO NOT have to notify you if they have concluded that you have (by your actions) disassociated yourself from the Christian Congregation. Attending other religious services is such an action (as is joining the military).

Doc

• Cook My Socks UK
    Cook My Socks UK

KS Book states "The committee should inform him of it's decision and endeavour to help him see how he can use the time he is disfellowshipped in a way that will repair his damaged relationship with Jehovah". The rule is they should tell you and they have that rule before them. If you are openly worshiping with another religious organization and have made it known that you intend to keep doing so then you are displaying an action that would indicate that you have disassociated yourself. In this case the rule is that you would be contacted and offered assistance, if you don't want the help or to meet up then the announcement will be made and since disassociation is an action taken by an individual and not as a result of a committee there is no appeal like when you are df'd. Even if the latter is the case, because of the actions of the elders (if they are doing their job as set out in KS book)you should know what is going down.

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

Before I decided I was no longer interested in worship...I was exploring other churches when the elders found out via my wonderful MIL. They came to 'hang us' so to speak. They said what I was doing was wrong and called it 'interfaith'. I told them I was doing research and had not joined. They left and I was never announced.

• dog is god
    dog is god

I wouldn't give them one millionth of a second more in my life. They are not worth the time.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Pop quiz, hotshot...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit