Invitation to World Literature: Epic of Gilgamesh

by King Solomon 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Here's a great introduction (30 min video) to a literary work that predates the Bible, the Epic of Gilgamesh:

http://www.learner.org/courses/worldlit/gilgamesh/watch/

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

That seems vaguely Muslim-ish, KS. Is that kosher for a good Christian to watch?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

"Muslimish" you say, EP? The story of Gilgamesh predates Islam by what, 2,500 yrs?

OK, let's try it this way: DON'T watch it! I forbid anyone to watch it!!

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

KS...I worked Islam, Jesus and Judaism into a single post. Really? I get nothing except "hey man, Islam is way older than the epic of gilgamesh". You *really* think I didn't know that?

• free @ last
    free @ last

The video won't play on my iPad. Bummer. Really wanted to see this.

And hey Islam didn't start with Mohammed... ask any Muslim and they'll tell you god invented it. So there!

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I know you really knew what it was but were just pretending not to know for the fun of knowing.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

EP said:

KS...I worked Islam, Jesus and Judaism into a single post. Really? I get nothing except "hey man, Islam is way older than the epic of gilgamesh". You *really* think I didn't know that?

I didn't notice, sorry!! 'Kosher' is such an idiomatic part of modern English, I forgot it's Jewish roots (much like how Xians are blinded to references ascribing thoughts to the heart, since it's become such a figure of speech; they overlook the fact that it once was taken as a literal fact).

I was simply trying to undermine EOM's world premiere (which God told me to do), and missed your reference in my haste. Sorry!

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

You are forgiven, my child. Pennance shall be complete when EOMs video finished processing. If ever.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

EP, I was kinda hoping Sab would watch this (you already understand the difference between non-fiction and fiction literature, so it's preaching to the choir for you).

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I do have hope for Sab. He and I had an interesting conversation via PM the other day, I don't think he's talking to me anymore. The upshot seemed to be that I am too persistent is voicing my views and I am problem, whereas he seems to want to be able to say what he wants to say without any contradiction.

I could be wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit