We want you to feel guilty!

by solomon 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

No, thanks. Screw guilt.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

This is the kind of stuff that ruins JW's the most I think. All of the guilt and feelings of worthlessness. It is no wonder so many suffer from depression.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

It's Hilarious how they indicate that you "probably" will be in paradise, but your going to feel awfully guilty. Paraphrased, "The paradise is going to be such a nice place, but your going to feel so guilty that you did not pioneer or become a ministerial servant." And if that isn't bad enough, you will have even more regrets because your living a selfish life. You won't even be able to enjoy the paradise because your soooooo guilty.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I answer these questions "Did God put out a REAL effort to give me the opposite sex?" Problem is, not only he didn't do it himself (which is reason for my answer to each and every one of those questions to be a big fat no), but he wouldn't even allow Satan and Astaroth to do it! Does any god that prevents anyone else from giving me something that meaningful and refuses to do it himself deserve my whole-souled service?

• solomon
    solomon

jgnat:

Au contraire. I have it from this upcoming week's Watchtower that one of Satan's Snares (tm) is to load people down with excessive guilt. The cure? Confess to the elders.

I did notice that too. I'm sure Blondie's WT review will examine that topic.

• designs
    designs

Guilt was the big cloud in the mind of Knorr, that guy could berate us for hours on end...

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I seethed at the "guilt" portion of this weeks WT. Firstly the use of "excessive", implying that there is a level of guilt that is acceptable to motivate actions. Secondly, the guilt only refers to feeling unworthy due to wrong doing. What about feeling unworthy because of not being able to do as much as you think you should be doing? The mental pressure on people to conform and "do more", to keep up with everything a good dub has to do is just getting worse. It's this guilt that is the worst guilt and I hate the fact so many in the org are driven by it.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Pushed to the point of contemplating suicide and hating life because of guilt, I woke up and stepped off the treadmill. Then the healing began. I tell any JW who mentions the word guilt, " If I wanted to feel guilty, I would become a Catholic ". This usually shuts down the conversation and make them think. I am not saying catholics really go around feeling guilty, but Dubs instantly make the connection of catholic=guilt in their heads. I tell them since I am a Christian, I don't do guilt anymore.I will keep an eye out for guit causing articles, and point them out to my family. I refuse to raise a child burdened with guilt because of ignorant men.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

That was the worst thing about this religion. The constant unremitting guilt. You could never do enough, or be good enough for the WTBTS. Finally I just gave up. What was the point? No matter what you did you felt guilty. I couldn't believe God intended us to feel this way. So goodbye JWs and guilt, hello happy life.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    jgnat - "...one of Satan's Snares (tm) is to load people down with excessive guilt. The cure? Confess to the elders."

Oh definately. Add embarrassment and self-conciousness to the guilt. There's a solution.

Seriously, though, I have to say that when I was in a JC a long time ago (hell, it takes an effort to even remember it, these days), the elders who conducted it were very nice and I really appreciated it at the time. Genuine shepherds; they went out of their way to be compassionate and specifically told me not to let myself be consumed with guilt or embarrassment.

Looking back at all the "special needs" talks given back in the 90s, I realize now that it was because my little thing was pretty much happening all over, all the time. I was just really shitty at reading between the lines back then.

Huh. Just realized, all 3 of those guys have passed away over the past couple decades...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit