With the "New Light" concerning the GB, How would JW's respond to this question?

by drewcoul 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

I wonder if the WT or JW's in general would consider Paul to be a member of the "Faithful and Discreet Slave."

He wrote a good deal of the Christian Greek Scriptures. Surely he would be considered one who was "Dispensing food at the proper time" would he not?

However, he was clearly NOT a member of the GB, as the WT claims there was a GB in Jerusalem. Therefore, was Paul a member of the FDS? If not, why did he write so much of the Bible?

Just one of my thoughts on this new understanding. I would love to ask a JW this when they hear of the new understanding!

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

I would love to ask a JW this when they hear of the new understanding!

It would be more fun to ask them now BEFORE they know about it. Maybe just hypotetically. Their guard will be down, or they may say that the GB would NEVER equate themselves with the FDS...

Then a few monts later you let them eat crow....

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

OH, I just thought of something else.......The WTBTS claims that the FDS has been on earth since the 1st century. However, the GB has only been around since about 1970 (I'm not sure of the date). Therefore, who was the GB before then?

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Even if he had been on the Jerusalem counsel, he was prior to 1919. That disqualifies him for a deduction. (Oops, sorry. I'm doing taxes at the moment.)

But to be a qualifying FDS dependant, he had to be anointed and on the GB on or after January 1, 1919 (and filed Form 1040FDS, and enter qualifying information on line 26. Certain exclusions apply.

• sir82
    sir82

I think they will clarify it by saying there was a governing body in the 1st century, and Paul was on it, but that governing body did not yet have the "special role" of "faithful and discreet slave". That "special role" was reserved exclusively for the "Lord's day".

• sir82
    sir82
    who was the GB before then?

That's easy, they'll say it was the board of directors of the WTS.

You've got to give them credit - they're old pros at revising their own history, they've been at it for decades now.

• aposta-Z
    aposta-Z

He was "made" Apostle. Ain't that enough?

• steve2
    steve2
    I would love to ask a JW this when they hear of the new understanding!

Your desire to ask them is far too complimentary of their ability and/or willingness to think clearly and logically.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Great question. Jesus also told Peter, who was given the keys of the Kingdom, to "feed my little sheep" three times. If that doesn't make Peter a member of the FDS then what does? What they should have said instead is that there was a first century FDS but it ceased after the death of the last apostle which was holding back the apostate man of lawlessness, and it was not resumed until 1879 when Russell published the first Watchtower magazine.

I mean it is utterly ridiculous of them to suggest that C T Russell was not one of the FDS. Russell set up the whole shop, he founded the Watchtower Society and the Watchtower magazine for pity's sake. He 'turned the hose on hell' and that the Bible doesn't say the soul is immortal, and that the trinity dogma is screwy, and he feed these still cherished JW truths to millions in his time. They owe everything to Russell and now they are saying he was only a messenger leading to the real FDS in 1919??!! Absolutely nuts.

The Bible Students must be livid, I wonder if they are discussing this on their forums?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

That would require thinking. JWs are trained NOT to think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit