Rosemont Cemetery-Masonic Temple-Catholic Church CONNECTED

by NeverKnew 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• designs
    designs

Who of the Wt gets to be buried there or are the plots for sale.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

NeverKnew,

I live in the Pgh. area myself. Very close to Kennywood Park and have been to the grave site many times. Thanks for the info.

Now I wonder if our paths have ever crossed such as at the Assembly Hall or whatever. I left the borg in 2000 and have not regreted it at all.

HappyDad

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

As I understand, the original plot(s) was(were) bought from the Catholic Diocese, and now the entire property - with the exception of the lot(s) owned by the WTS - are being bought by the Masonic Fund Society. Is this understanding correct?

If that's the case, why is this even news? Sorry, but I would like to see the relevance of it all. Except perhaps the interest of the Masonry in acquiring a graveyard ...

Eden

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Hi, HAPPY!!!!

I just left the Waterfront about a half hour ago and have relatives in that area! *grin*

I've never been a JW and never been to a Kingdom Hall - Mr. Freeze won't take me. I SO want to visit one. Problem is, Pgh is the littlest big city on the planet. I can't just crash any KH service. I'd be too recognizable. :(

I'm East.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

This picture below is from the Recorder of Deed's Office.

The southern shoulder of the property line of the Masonic Hall can generally be ascertained by following the parking lot line which borders the cemetery. The large yellow square to the south of the Masonic Hall is where the pyramid and gravesite can be found (along with other graves that may be IBSA graves).

When the Masonic Hall purchased their property from the Catholic Diocese, the deed contained a statement with respect to a small 130x135 rectangle that is just into the trees towards the north end of the property that would continue to be owned forevermore by the WTBS.

My question is, why? What's up there?

Here's the link to the Allegheny County Website...

http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/RealEstate/Map.aspx?ParcelID=0218A00125000000%20%20%20%20&SearchType=2&CurrRow=0&SearchName=&SearchStreet=Cemetery&SearchNum=&SearchMuni=940&SearchParcel=&pin=0218A00125000000

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Hey I told you I'd go with you. I just have to be able to stomach it first.

I can think of one that might be good. Not too far but not really that close either.

I've never visited the gravesite. The one brother in our hall would talk about it all the time though.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Okay... so service and a ride out to Cemetery Lane on me!

Whenever.....

• mizpah2
    mizpah2

1906 - G.M. Hopkins Company maps

1906 - G. M. Hopkins Company Maps - Zoom

• besunny
  • NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

This saga gets stranger and stranger...

I went out to the section of the Mason's property where the cemetery owned by the Watchtower is located and unfortunately, it was covered with snow so I may not have seen as many gravesites as there may have been.

(I MUST ADD THAT THIS WAS WITH PERMISSION. THERE ARE NO TRESSPASSING SIGNS THAT SURROUND THE CEMETERY BUT THEY ARE POSTED BY THE OWNER OF THE ADJOINED PROPERTY.) The adjoined property owner believed the cemetery contained the remains of African-American soldiers.

I took pictures of the gravesites I could see and except for the women, they appeared to ALL have been ...military soldiers?!? I am also looking for an ancestor who may have been caught up in the WT movement and to my knowledge, he was never in the military.

WHY would the WTS own a burial plot in its own name (as opposed to a front name such as "United Cemeteries") containing African-American soldiers? Is "United Cemeteries" still owned by the WTS? If so, you guys have a lot more real estate to talk about! *grin*

I can't vouch for the validity of this site but I certainly have a copy of a deed recorded in 1922 validating the claims about the three cemeteries being owned by the WTS! (http://jwdivorces.bravehost.com/russell.html)

I have work to do tonight so I'm not ignoring anyone if they have something to add... this stuff is giving me a headache.

Thanks Miz and Sunny!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit