After a couple of days pondering the "new light" FDS change . . .

by leaving_quietly 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

So, I've had a chance to ponder this "new light" of the change of definition of FDS now for a couple of days. The initial reaction was of astonishment, and just plain anger, and I can see that I'm not alone in that. However (assuming Matt 24:45-47 is prophetic, parable or not):

- It kinda makes sense that a small group would be responsible for feeding. Like waiters in a restaurant. There's just a few.

- Those who claim this responsibility take upon themselves a HUGE accountability before Christ. So be it. Why worry about it ourselves? They have to answer for their actions. We do not. (This statement, of course, is for those who still believe in God and Christ... those who don't, just ignore.)

- I'm not sure of the change of the term "domestics". Why? Because the second half of the parable talks about "that evil slave" beating his "fellow slaves." To me, that means that "domestics" = "fellow slaves." That never has included those of the great crowd to my knowledge.

- While I agree with the change of the "inspection" now being future (haven't we here said that numerous times?), I have a hard time swallowing the fact that it's taken all these decades for them to figure it out. I think this is the single biggest issue I have with these changes. Decades long teachings that made JWs who they are are just swept away, just like that.

- Finally, we're all reacting from peoples' notes. They write what they hear, or think they hear. None of this is printed in black and white for all of us to clearly see, analyze and reason on. So, I think it's just prudent to wait and see what they say on the printed page. Then, and only then, does it become an official teaching.

• perfect1
    perfect1

Why worry about it ourselves? They have to answer for their actions.

Take some responsibility for your beliefs! You are being misled!

• blondie
    blondie

Leaving quietly

• Sauerkraut
    Sauerkraut
    Why worry about it ourselves? They have to answer for their actions. We do not. (This statement, of course, is for those who still believe in God and Christ... those who don't, just ignore.)

Sure, they'll be held accountable. Why worry about it? Look at the toll their "food" is taking. It's unhealthy, unbalanced and leads to lots of heartache. Your attitude parallels the "wait on Jehovah" attitude. We have a responsibility to do something about evil if we have the chance. Just tolerating it and looking the other way won't help anyone and quite frankly, I find it selfish. We can't change the world, and we can't change the Org, but we can at least speak up and try to do something whenever we have the chance. I think it's our responsibility. So we may have to answer for the lack of our actions if we choose to do nothing.

Finally, we're all reacting from peoples' notes. They write what they hear, or think they hear. None of this is printed in black and white for all of us to clearly see, analyze and reason on. So, I think it's just prudent to wait and see what they say on the printed page. Then, and only then, does it become an official teaching.

You're right, it still is likely that it's true. It's the culmination of a developement that has been taking place over the past years.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

@perfect1: My point is that we don't have to worry about whether the teaching is right or wrong. Only that they have to answer to a much higher power than us for this action.

As for taking responsibility for my beliefs: I'm still trying to figure out what I do believe and what I don't believe. Having been taught the WTS way all my life, this waking up is taking quite a long time for me. I do not take anything said here in this forum at face value. I equally do not take anything the WTS says at face value. My last year has been spent in deep study. I research what scholars say on scriptures. I read comments from some very intelligent people here on JWN. I read WTS publications. I compare them all as objectively as I can. After my initial reaction to this "new light," I went back and read Matt 24:45-47 many, many times. I can see where the adjusted understanding is coming from (the point of view that the FDS is a smaller number.) I do not necessarily agree with WHO they say it is. Again, my point is that it's not for me to worry about since they have to answer to Christ for making that claim. I do believe that a change in understanding of this after so many decades is quite telling... if they don't know by now, it's not them.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

I can see where the adjusted understanding is coming from (the point of view that the FDS is a smaller number.

And yet, this same text, all what 20-30 lines of it, has been there all along. Same exact text that made them claim and defend tooth and nail for decades that its interpretation was exactly the opposite.....

Sorry, they have no more insight than Joe Blow from anywhere...and their "adjusted understandings" are worth as much as their pre-"adjusted understandings". Worth nothing.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

@LEAVING QUIETLY

The year is 27 C.E., and four young men named Peter, Andrew, James and John, approach the Temple in Jerusalem to offer up their individual sacrifices to Jehovah.

Suddenly, Caiaphas the High Priest comes into view, accompanied by the chief priests. What are the four young men thinking as they look at them? As faithful, God-fearing men who were trying to worship Jehovah according to His ways, they almost certainly felt the way Jesus did when he addressed the religious leaders of God's people, " YOU have made the word of God invalid because of YOUR tradition.....YOU hypocrites...you teach commands of men as doctrines". (Matt. 15:6,7,9)

Why didn't the four abandon their form of worship if they were aware of the falsehoods which were presented as Scriptural truths by those taking the lead? Peter gave the answer a few years later when he said, "Lord, whom shall we go away to?". (John 6:68)

They themselves knew two very important truths; 1) they were part of Jehovah's people, and 2) they had proof from the Scriptures that very soon Jehovah, by means of His Anointed son, would expose those who were corrupting true worship. On that basis, they continued to serve Jehovah as best they could, no doubt familiar with Jehovah's words, " My righteousness is near. My salvation will certainly go forth, and my own arms will judge even the peoples. In me the islands themselves will hope, and for my arm they will wait".

(Isa. 51:5)Is there a parallel for us today? The following Scriptures give the answer; "For it is the appointed time for the judgment to start with the house of God. Now if it starts first with us, what will the end be of those who are not obedient to the good news of God?" (1 Pet.4:17) (This judgement did not take place in 1919 * ) (Acts 20:29,30)

"Oppressive wolves will enter in among YOU and will not treat the flock with tenderness, and from among YOU yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves".

"He is set in opposition and lifts himself up over everyone who is called “god” or an object of reverence, so that he sits down in the temple of The God....." (2 Thess. 2:4)

Whoever the true faith is, all of the above applies to them!

• FWFranz
    FWFranz

This supposed new teaching about the FDS is in some ways eerily similar to what Herbert W. Armstrong taught. Briefly, Armstrong taught that the "truth" of the bible had been almost completely lost for 1800 or so years commencing with an apostacy that started shortly after the death of the apostles. According to Armstrong, God would raise up and appoint an endtime prophet/teacher who would restore all the long lost truths of the scriptures. Now the WTS is saying that the appointment of the slave did not occur in 33 CE, and didn't actually happen until the beginning of the last days. They are in fact saying much the same thing as HWA did. That God had no real indentifiable earthly representatives for almost 1800 years. That only in the end times would there be anyone who could claim to now be directed by God. What does that say about Christ being the head of the Christian congregation during those 1800 years? How do they reconcile the scripture that says that Jesus would be with his true disciples to the end of the age? ( Matthew 28 :20) Thats a very hard question to answer for the GB, wouldn't you say.

FWFranz

• Gayle
    Gayle

Hopefully, some JWs will question,,if this (stupid, simpleton, truly unimportant to real life) "f&d" issue took the GB '94 years' about to get clarified, when Jesus and the holy spirit were supposed to be now turning all universal direction to this earth and God's grand supposed work . ..

the question is: what else? do they need to get clarifed?? Will the 'blood transfusion' issue get clarified yet? (when people are dying over it now & children) Will shunning family get clarifed? JWs must 'wait on Jehovah' or are they to wait on men, their GB? But for 94 years? . . . . .

• rmnnoute
    rmnnoute

The "new light" is that Jehovah's Witnesses do not use the expression "new light" any more, and haven't used it for several decades. When people talk about "new light," they immediately identify themselves as people who are out of the loop.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit