Get Out More / Questionaire.

by Englishman 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Is it true that Americans are the least travelled people in the world? If that is the case, it’s hardly surprising when you read all the dire warnings contained inside a US passport. Also, I am told that Americans regard the rest of the world as a very dangerous place to be. So do the WTBTS! Maybe that’s why they are strongest in the US, their message has a familiar ring to it.

I have a sneaky feeling that the more one travels, the less likely a person is to accept a cult religion, such as the JW’s. The older I get, the more I travel. The more I travel, the more my outlook broadens.

One thing is for sure, if you travel abroad, you must dump as much of your home country’s culture as possible whilst abroad so that you can travel and eat like the locals do. That is an incredibly enriching experience IMO.

Lets see who are the real travellers here. Simply state which is your home country and then list the countries that you have visited. OK, I come from England, obviously, and these are the countries that I have visited so far:

Scotland

Wales

France

Germany

Belgium

Holland

Portugal

Luxembourg

Switzerland

Balearics

Madeira

Malta

USA

Note, I have never been to Spain or Italy, but that will be rectified in the next few weeks. I want to travel much, much more. Next on my list is Scandinavia and Australia, so watch out Down Under!

Englishman.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Home country: Canada. I have lived in different places in canada, practically from one end to the other.

Countries visited:

United states

Mexico

Belize

Guatamala

Hawaii

New zealand

Australia

Figi

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Englishman: I agree. Travel is part of the key to understanding. Have you ever traveled to the US (more than one state)? If not (as I suspect), then this too will impart more understanding.........not just to one city in the US, I mean a go through at least five states........

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Home USA,

Been to most of the states.
    Other countries: Mex and Canada.

Join the Watchtower or you will die.
    Only Jehovah's Witnesses have the TRUTH all other religions EVIL and from the Devil.
    You must beleive the Watchtower or you're going to die a painful death forever, isn't that really GOOD NEWS?
  • Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

I am an American of Anglo-Saxon descent, possibly also Welsh. Go Devolution! I have been to:

Canada, eh

England

Estonia*

Finland*

Germany

Korea

Mexico

Netherlands

Poland*

Taiwan

* Denotes countries visited for 1996 International Conventions

I also consider some travel within the US to be analogous to foreign travel within Europe for Europeans. That said, it is not too impressive to live on the East Coast and have been to each state (sometimes just passing through) from Florida to (only recently) Maine. Nor is driving as far as Chicago impressive, as some co-workers here, near Philadelphia, have at times made a weekly commute. But I want points for going to Texas (past marketing slogan: "It's like a whole other country"), California, and Arizona.

Bodhisattva, UADNA-PA pledge. (Please, guys, no transvestitism!)

• Englishman
    Englishman

Thi Chi,

Read my post, Fella! I have most certainly visited the USA. Not Florida like most Brits, but toured all of New York State. Been up the Empire State, Rockefeller Centre, done the subway bit and travelled on the Greyhound bus. Been up Liberty too.

Loved the ice cream, thought maple syrup was vile.

Englishman.

• Sargon
    Sargon

I'm from Canada:

When you travel within Canada and the US going from state to state, or province to province is the equivalent of visiting different European countries. I've travelled:

Canada

United States

England

Sweden

The Netherlands

Denmark

Belgium

France

Imagination is more important than Knowledge. Albert Einstein

• Valis
    Valis

Englishman, I totally agree with you about traveling. Its the only way to become a well rounded person. Think of how many of us never had this concept impressed upon us! We might have gotten lucky enough to attend a CA or DA in another state. I must confess, I've been all over the U.S. and to Mexico many times, but I haven't been to Europe at all. It is on my list though. I keep track of the states I haven't visited, and am currently down to the following, which I haven't visited yet:

Rhode Island
    North dakota
    South Dakota
    Kentucky
    Hawaii
    Alaska
    Idaho

Mexico Places I have been:

Juarez
    Boquillas
    St Helena
    Cancun
    Akumal
    Tulun
    Cozumel
    Chichen Itza
    Playa Del Carmen

This Month I've Been To/Will Be There:

Las Vegas, Nevada
    Mexico
    Big Bend National Park, West Texas
    Baltimore, Maryland

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

""Thi Chi,
    Read my post, Fella! I have most certainly visited the USA. Not Florida like most Brits, but toured all of New York State. Been up the Empire State, Rockefeller Centre, done the subway bit and travelled on the Greyhound bus. Been up Liberty too.

Loved the ice cream, thought maple syrup was vile.

Englishman.""

Englishman: I did read your post, and I was correct. With respect, Visiting New York State is like going straight to the Tower of Big Ben and then state you have been to England.

New York State is like England: High taxes, no respect for the Second Amendment for the right of the PEOPLE to bear arms, and many other negatives I will not go into here. All a product of the downward trend for the last sixty years.

Go the Heart Land, see the Southwest, visit what America really is. Come to California, my family’s home is open to you.

Sure, there are many of the world that have made the US people a target, However, their envy of our genus in the areas of freedom should be envied. And we acept the responsibility.

• Princess
    Princess

Eman, you need to visit more states. Maple syrup is not vile.

I live in Washington and have visited

Oregon
    California
    Idaho
    Utah
    Texas
    New Mexico
    Florida
    Wisconsin
    Massachusettes
    Rhode Island
    New Hampshire
    Hawaii

Canada

I have of course been in airports of numerous other states but they don't count. I am planning to take the kids to visit your area of the world within the next couple of years.

Princess

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit