The WTS has said the FDS predates 1919

by blondie 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This bit of information stirs up another unending question , that is who were the FDS before the apearance of the WTS. and C T Russell ?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The recent spin put out by the WTS. of GB = FDS , is just another self supporting element of propaganda.

When you think about it , Religion is 99% bullshit

You know the Mormons have a Governing Body instituted in their religion as well

• Quendi
    Quendi

My understanding of this latest development is that The Watchtower study article Blondie has kindly reproduced in this space is no longer valid. It has instead been superseded by this “new light” which will become the official teaching. We all know this is the modus operandi of this organization and so nobody should be surprised.

This puts paid to the notion that the “faithful and discreet slave” has been around since the first century because the “class” did not come into existence until the last days started in 1914. From 1914 to 1918, Christ did nothing about making an official appointment because evidently there were several candidates. It was not until he made his spiritual inspection in 1918 that an appointment was considered and then finally made in 1919 when the International Bible Students were chosen. I’m pretty sure this is how the WTS will explain this new teaching.

That would solve several problems. Russell could still retain his place in Witness hagiography as a true servant of God. This position would also tip the hat to forerunners of Russell who were teaching the same things with regard to the start of the last days and when Christ would reign. The Witness interpretation of the book of Revelation would be unaffected so there would be no need for wholesale adjustments to that portion of their theology.

This development has been in the making for the last three years. Back in 2009, The Watchtower had a study article entitled “The ‘Faithful Steward’ and its Governing Body” that shut out all the newly-minted “anointed” Memorial partakers from any role in decision-making and theological input by saying that only the Governing Body had been entrusted with preparing and dispensing “spiritual food.” It stopped short of identifying the ‘faithful slave’ with the Governing Body, but all the signs pointed to that. The symposium at the Annual Meeting was another act in this drama. I don’t doubt that we will see a series of articles in next year’s issues of The Watchtower that will refine and clarify this thinking.

Quendi

• blondie
    blondie

I learned long ago that if it is not in writing in the WT or a WT publication that is focused on the rank and file, the old thought holds officially. Does anyone have a recent WT that says different yet?

Among the rank and file jw, there has always been the Kingdom of Rumors. He said, she said, a CO said, a DO said, the GB said at the morning worship, etc. Remember it's basically terminology that changes little. Still a few mostly white men in NY will be calling the doctrinal shots.

• stapler99
    stapler99

2004 wasn't that long ago. I can imagine that many witnesses would still have this issue and might refer to it to do research. What happens when they discover that all of this reasoning has been abandoned? The chances are that the explanations in the new literature will be worse and will not attempt to refute their previous arguments. It will not look progressive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit