The WT Encourages JWs to learn about the early history of the organization! - 8/15/12 WT

by 00DAD 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Let's help them!

As chronicled in detail above, pre-1914 prophecies predicted that 1914 marked the end of Armageddon, the conclusion of the time of troubles, and that Christ's Second Coming and presence began in 1874; nothing could be clearer. However, in subsequent years the Watchtower Society has gone to great lengths covering up those false prophecies, in effect denying they ever taught them in the first place, writing: “The Watchtower has consistently presented evidence that Jesus' presence in heavenly kingdom power began in 1914. Events since that year testify to Jesus' presence. Jehovah's witnesses have consistently shown from the Scriptures that the year 1914 marked the beginning of this world's time of the end and that 'the day of judgment and of destruction of the ungodly men' has drawn near.” Watchtower, January 15, 1993, 5, 9.

But that is simply not true. As established above, the Watchtower Society on many occasions taught the opposite; that 1874, not 1914, was the beginning of Armageddon; and that 1874 marked the beginning of Christ's presence and His Second Coming, not 1914. The extent of the Watchtower's cover-up is astounding, as seen by the following excerpts:

True to such calculations, 1914 did mark the end of those times and the birth of God's kingdom in heaven with Christ Jesus as king. Just think of it! Jehovah granted his people that knowledge nearly four decades before those times expired. Yearbook, 1975, 37.

Of all men used by God to prophesy, Jesus is outstanding. Based on what he said, along with the words of Daniel and John, Jehovah's witnesses pointed to the year 1914, decades in advance, as marking the start of the “conclusion of the system of things.” Awake! January 22, 1973, 8.

As for the time of Christ's second presence, Daniel's prophecy is again the one that gives the chronology for it. (Dan 4:16) It was figured out as pointing to A.D. 1914, and the Watchtower called notice to the significance of 1914 in the year 1879. Watchtower, November 1, 1952, 658.

[I]n 1914 C.E. … the Most High God Jehovah installed the Messiah Jesus on the heavenly throne in order to reign and go subduing among his enemies. (Psalm 110:1-6; Acts 2:34-36; Hebrews 10:12, 13)

[A] prophecy providentially caused sincere 19th-century Bible students to be in expectation. By linking the “seven times” of Daniel 4:25 with “the times of the Gentiles,” they anticipated that Christ would receive Kingdom power in 1914. Watchtower, September 15, 1998, 15.

For over thirty years, before that date and for half a century since, Jehovah's witnesses have pointed to the year 1914 as the time for the end of the “appointed times of the nations” and the time in which Christ would begin his Kingdom rule. (Luke 21:24). Watchtower, February 15, 1966, 103.

Why, then, do the nations not realize and accept the approach of this climax of judgment? It is because they have not heeded the worldwide advertising of Christ's return and his second Presence. Since long before World War I Jehovah's witnesses pointed to 1914 as the time for this great event to occur. Watchtower, Jun 15, 1954, 370.

This was a new revelation of great importance to God's people who had been anxiously awaiting his second presence toward the end of the nineteenth century. Watchtower, July 15, 1965, 428.

But none of this is true when one compares these latter assertions with earlier pre-1914 prophecy. Their “understanding” of 1874 did not change until 1943 when that date, as being the year of the “Return of the Lord Jesus Christ” was done away with. God's Kingdom of a Thousand Years has Approached, 209. The Watchtower continued to falsely teach that Jesus' presence began in 1874 well into the 1920s, writing: “Bible prophecy shows that the Lord was due to appear for the second time in the year 1874. Fulfilled prophecy is otherwise designated the physical facts; and the facts are indisputable.” Watch Tower, November 1, 1922, 333. They also wrote: “The Scriptural proof is that the second presence of the Lord Jesus Christ began in 1874 A.D.” Prophecy, 1929, 65, 66.

http://www.soul.host-ed.me/false-prophets/index.html

• smiddy
    smiddy

Thanks for clarifying my mistake guys, Marley Cole wrote" Jehovah`s Witnesses The New World Society" In the brochure report on the" Divine Will International Assembly" at Yankee Stadium & Polo Grounds,july 27th-Aug 3rd 1958 it has a photo of Marley Cole teaching/lecturing bros.& sist.in the press dept.on how to deal with the press ( compliments The Old Hippie )

smiddy

• ziddina
    ziddina
    " ...the majority of them will only study the WTBTS's sanitized versions of their history..." OP by 00Dad, page 1

Well, of course.

Studying the REAL history would be considered (a) "brazen" or (b) an act of 'apostasy' or (c) "running ahead" of Jehovah...

• steve2
    steve2

Just as young children are best gradually introduced to the brutal "truths" about life, and given lots of reassurance that they can learn how to grow up to be capable, strong-thinking adults, so Jehovah's witnesses are best gradually introduced to the brutal truths about "the truth" and given lots of reassurance that they can learn how to grow up to be capable, strong-thinking adults.

• HelpMeBelieve
    HelpMeBelieve

When I was a child, we had that silly book (I can't think of it's name! There was dialogue between two couples, two old, two new discussing early Bible Students activity.) that glorfied Russell and Ruther-nut (The book contains a story of the sister who cut Ruther-nut's chicken incorrectly, the sharp bones cut his lip and tongue. Ruther hated bones in his chicken, as the story goes, he kindly shows the sister cooking at bethel how to properly cut-choke his chicken right)

Sites like JWN, JWFacts tell the real history of the early Bible Students. I regress to Eric's video trial, as the young elder "Eric" was convinced it's impossible for leaks to make their way to the Internet. All the negative information must be a lie or a spoof, it's not possible for elders to desire change or leak memos of stupid polices to the public We are thrown a "red herring" frequently by die-hards " the Society's errors are barely negligible, once you compare them to the Catholic Church and their Inquisition!"

Attack the worst aspects of Christendom's history allows us to down-play our short-comings. Let's compare the Society's "great acts of mercy" to Christendom's! Jesus said, "what benefit is it if you love those who love you?" I am not aware of any charity acts on a regular basis the Society provides to the World's poor. Can you?

Focus on the bad deeds, unless you are talking about early JW history, than we focus on "flickering light", "the light's not bright before the Sun start's to rise" "I still think those elder letters, reports are fake" Eric the elder from "Apostate Trial Video".

• steve2
    steve2
    When I was a child, we had that silly book (I can't think of it's name! There was dialogue between two couples, two old, two new discussing early Bible Students activity.) that glorfied Russell and Ruther-nut (The book contains a story of the sister who cut Ruther-nut's chicken incorrectly, the sharp bones cut his lip and tongue. Ruther hated bones in his chicken, as the story goes, he kindly shows the sister cooking at bethel how to properly cut-choke his chicken right)

Yes, HelpMeBelieve, the book was titled "Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose". It's the one I refer to earlier in this thread.

Memories do play tricks, but I recall reading it as a child and being gripped by the history. To an obedient child, it was truly riveting stuff. Undoubtedly, if I were to read it today I'd be stunned by its simplistic and biased overview of the organization's history. But children become adults and outgrow Jack and the Beanstalk publications.

On the presentation side, the book was immaculately produced, sized A4 with black cover and gold-embossed cover titling. These things matter to book lovers. Oh, and I also recall the distinctive alluring printery smell of Watchtower publications. I know what it is like to pick up any book - especially new - open it at random, hold it up to my nose and sniff. Bliss.

I have but few pleasant memories of my years in the organization - reading Watchtower publications and soaking up the smells of those publications were among them.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

w2012 8/15, p. 12, para. 5 is just a red herring. They will use it to say they never discouraged members from exploring their past. I just wish the R&F would take it literally and scour the internet for the actual truth. I did and the Kingdom of God is now very real to me.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

1. Obituary: Cole, Marley Coon Rapids/New Brighton. Age 93. Died 4/17/09. Survived by niece, Carol (Gary) Peters; cousins, Hugh & J. B. Cole (Knoxville, TN); many great- nieces & great-nephews, and a host of friends. Memorial Service 5/09/09, 1:30 pm, Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 9140 East River Road, Coon Rapids, MN.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/startribune/obituary.aspx?n=marley-cole&pid=126904964#fbLoggedOut

2. Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose, published 1959. Written by John Wischuk, one of the Brooklyn Bethel Writing Department staff members.

In the 1950s, the Writing Department sent letters to older members of the organization all over the world (mostly anointed) asking for their past personal experiences as JWs. All of these experiences, including experiences taken from branch files found in the Executive Offices File Room, were in a large file cabinet in an over-sized closet in the Writing Department in the form of hundreds of small clippings filed by subject in folders. These clippings were the experiences that were cut out from those letters received by the Writing Department, and from information that Wischuk found in those branch files and used by him to put together the Divine Purpose book.

I was told that the Divine Purpose book had many mistakes in it. In the mid-1980s, Richard Abrahamson, Overseer of the Art Department, was assigned to head a group to compile another history book to replace the Divine Purpose book. Richard had good intentions, but due to a heavy work load in the Art Dept. he could not make any headway into the project. In 1989, Karl Adams was assigned to head the project and that's when I was assigned to be his researcher. The project we were working on ended up as the book, Jehovah's Witnesses Proclaimers of God's Kingdom.

3. Why Karl chose to leave out the Olin Moyle trial from Proclaimers is not known to me, but it could very well be that the GB cut out the information as they did with the fact that the Russells had a celibate marriage because, as was quoted to me, the GB said, “the friends couldn’t handle it.” I personally know that many old-time JWs were not happy that nothing was mentioned in Proclaimers about Moyle. I know Karl read the Moyle trial transcripts because I found them in among law books in WT's Legal Department and personally handed him the material. He told me at that time that he never heard of the trial before. From circumstantial evidence, I believe Karl did not tell me the truth.

Barbara

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks Barabra for the answer to my questions - esp. about Marley Cole. He enjoyed a long life and based on his obituary, remained in the organization. I wonder what he must have made about such events as Ray Franz and Ed Dunlap's departure from Brooklyn HQ. I guess for many older witnesses, it is simply "easier" to keep their heads down and get on with it rather than dare to think too much about controversial developments at HQ.

I appreciated the background info on the "JWs in the Divine Purpose" book. It was one of my favourites. I read it at a time when I was developing my love of reading. I will always be thankful to my maternal grandparents for their encouraging all their grandchildren to read books (my grandfather loaned me his copy of McMillan's "Faith on the March" - I enjoyed this book too, although, even as a young child, I distinctly remember feeling uncomfortable about the negatively dismissive way McMillan spoke about any of the earlier Bible Students who did not toe the party line. Even my grandparents who had become Bible Students in the mid-1920s did not speak in such terms about the falling away that had occurred in New Zealand of many of the Bible Students who baulked at Rutherford's take over of the Watchtower Society - but I was lucky to have had 2 sets of pretty mild-mannered grandparents now that I think of it.

Perhaps you had mentioned it in previous posts, but I only now did I realize you were one of the researchers on the Proclaimers book. Your observations and insights are much appreciated.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Bumping this excellent thread...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit