Jehovah’s Witnesses and Firearms – Overlooked History

by Jaime l de Aragon 13 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Jaime l de Aragon
    Jaime l de Aragon

August 20, 1940: Author Cox was arrested and charged with the murder of Deputy Sheriff Dean Pray. Cox had been actively working in association with Watchtower for 33 years prior, and had been assigned at the time by Watchtower to the Portland, Maine congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Cox carried credentials issued by Watchtower’s President, J. F. Rutherford. A few weeks prior to the killing of officer Pray, Cox had purchased a revolver to carry in the book-bag he carried in his public ministry. This is the firearm Cox used in the killing of officer Pray. Cox claimed self-defense. Attorney Hayden Covington was assigned by Watchtower as defense counsel.[6] Cox was convicted of murder and appeal was denied.

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com.es/2011/02/jehovahs-witnesses-and-firearms.html

Jehovah’s Witnesses and Firearms

• MaybeSo
    MaybeSo

What kind of "disclipine" would I get if the elders found out I that I owned guns? I am an active dub

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

Maybeso: There are a lot of active j-dubs who own firearms, some for hunting wild life and some for protection against crazy humans. It is frowned upon by the overly righteous in the BORG.

But it is a conscience matter. I own 3 handguns and a pump action shotgun not for hunting but for home protection. The COBE in my old congregation is considering buying one, so I think your safe.

Kojack

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Of course, a TRUE Christian Witness of Jehovah wouldn't own a firearm for protection ...

*** w98 12/15 p. 22 When Armed Robbers Strike ***
    Some people desperately seek security by arming themselves with guns. Christians, though, take seriously the words of Jesus, who said: "Those who take the sword will perish by the sword." (Matthew 26:52) God's people have ‘beaten their swords into plowshares' and do not buy guns to protect themselves from robbery or assault.-Micah 4:3.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I shot the Sheriff...

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

No londo, he shot the deputy ( but he did not shoot the sheriff). Doesn't make for as good a lyric, but.... :)

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Peter owned a sword and was willing to use it. Jesus did not stop him taking it.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I swear it was in self defense...

• TOTH
    TOTH

It's a shame that a police officer was killed. According to the Officer Down Memorial Page the officer was killed while dealing with a man who created a disturbance. Too bad the idiot felt he had the right to kill a cop who was doing his duty....http://www.odmp.org/officer/10824-deputy-e-dean-pray

I own a .357 Magnum revolver, a 45.70 Government lever action rifle and a .303 British enfield rifle now. I have owned many guns all the time a was active and now that I am not. Screw the wt...They have no right to tell anyone what to do.

• Twitch
    Twitch

So? One incident over 70 yrs old.

Does the OP have a point?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit