Poor homeless Bro. Larry Jackson

by ShirleyW 27 Replies latest jw friends

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

There’s a story in the NY Daily News today that says this JW is homeless and was denied shelter after having a brief conversation with the woman who helped him with his application after he mentioned he was a JW. Her reasoning of why she denied his application was that she thought he would go door to door in the 45-unit facility! I myself find that hilarious, he just might’ve done that to get his time in! However, you can’t be denied housing because of religion.

This homeless brother is looking quite sharp in the picture by the way, looks clean, wearing a suit and tie and a cap, he’s filed a lawsuit against the housing complex, the placement and the worker.

The article says “his deep rooted beliefs helped him shake a harsh drug addiction and tolerate being in a shelter for two years”. Wonder how he made to his meetings and out in the service while living in a shelter for two years?

• Scott77
    Scott77

Please, provide a link or his names to google up the story.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Scott - I wish I knew how to do that I'm not too tech savvy

• Scott77
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Thx Scott

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Surely the loving charitable WT will help this man ?

Oops, I forgot, sarcasm just ain't clever, to paraphrase Shakespeare.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Living a Christ-like life. - Right on, brother: “I just want to hurt them the way they hurt me,” he said.

Romans 12:17 - Return evil for evil to no one.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Well I'm sorry the poor guy's homeless, but why haven't any of his loving brothers and sisters back in the spiritual paradise helped him out?

James 2:15 - 17: If a brother or a sister is in a naked state and lacking the food sufficient for the day, yet a certain one of YOU says to them: “Go in peace, keep warm and well fed,” but YOU do not give them the necessities for [their] body, of what benefit is it? Thus, too, faith, if it does not have works, is dead in itself.

• SophieG
    SophieG

Thanks for sharing Shirley!

My thoughts are just as Phizzy's. How come the brothers haven't helped him? I feel his plight, but shouldn't he be asking why a loving org would turn their backs on him...?

edit: 00DAD: EXACTLY!

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Well I'm sorry the poor guy's homeless, but why haven't any of his loving brothers and sisters back in the spiritual paradise helped him out?

James 2:15 - 17: If a brother or a sister is in a naked state and lacking the food sufficient for the day, yet a certain one of YOU says to them: “Go in peace, keep warm and well fed,” but YOU do not give them the necessities for [their] body, of what benefit is it? Thus, too, faith, if it does not have works, is dead in itself.

----------------------- It could be that he is not in good standing - and as we know, although that could be the case, it doesn't mean that he doesn't still see himself as a JW. No matter what - I have a great deal of sympathy for him because being homeless, no matter the reason, is not a good place to be. Disfellowshipped JW's are ignored, shunned, reviled and really don't exist to the rest of the 'brothers and sisters'...regardless of whether or not they sit in the Kingdom Hall and beg to be reinstated. I know a JW who was homeless and cut off by their family, still went to meetings, and not one of them would bend to help. That little particle of faith in James that you quote, means nothing to a JW whose in that is shunning a JW who is out. Nothing. It only applies to a JW in good standing. Don't you recall that df'd sister whose tire went flat on the side of the road and the whole congregation drove past and not one person stopped to help the old lady. That was brought up as the model of good behavior in how to shun people and that sort of stuff is what makes little kids good little JW's if they see it often enough. sammieswife

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit