Rutherford's smear campaign (a must read)

by Leolaia 198 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Olin Moyle's reply to the disfellowshipping notice:

Olin R. Moyle to C. H. Ellison, 22 March 1940
    : "On Sunday, March 10th, you handed me a letter stating that I was not to be tolerated or permitted to answer questions or make comments at the meetings of the Milwaukee Company. You know that at no time have I said anything out of harmony with the Truth or the Society, and yet I am now to be gagged and forbidden to speak. Your letter amounts to an excommunication by order of one man, the Society's president. The Bible prescribes the correct method of excommunication (Matthew 18:15-17) but this is ignored by you and Brother Rutherford. Such action is indefensible, unjust and unScriptural. Nevertheless I do not intend to stir up any disorder and will submit to its terms. In the letter of Judge Rutherford of March 5th, apparently written to you, he states: 'You have seen Moyle's assault upon the Society.' May I ask: When and where did you see me make an assault upon the Society? Have you told Judge Rutherford that you witnessed such assault? ....

You know that during the period I have met with the Milwaukee Company I have never attacked the Society. Neither did I make such attack before coming here. The Judge apparently is trying to create the impression that my letter to him protesting against some of his wrongful acts constituted an attack upon the Society. And that is why he caused the Directors to sign their names to a statement that every paragraph except of the first of my letter was false. It may interest you to know that I have on hand another statement signed by one of those men, C. J. Woodworth, wherein he admits the truth of the major portion of my letter and attempts to justify the Judge's wrongful acts. Others of the Directors have in private conversation deplored such acts. You too have been known to express your emphatic opinion against such dictatorial acts by Judge Rutherford. I went to him direct with my protest, and as a result have been labeled a Judas, an evil servant, hounded in the Watchtower, and expelled from the organization. You and some of the Directors can make similar statements behind his back, where it is safe, and still bask in the sunlight of his favor. I am expected to apologize to the Judge for what he describes as my 'wrongful conduct'. Some of the Milwaukee brethren, although blissfully ignorant of the facts, are quite busily talking around that 'Brother Moyle ought to apologize and then everything would be all right.' They do not come to me with this advice but offer it gratuitously to those who will listen.... Because I have refused to apologize for standing by facts and truth I was thrown out of Bethel, and now with your compliance and assistance I am excommunicated from the Milwaukee Company....

In the quotation from Judge Rutherford's letter it is stated that I am not to be 'tolerated'. That needs further explanation. Will you therefore please send me answers to the following questions: Are my reports of Service activity still to be accepted and counted in with those of the Company? Will Watchtower and Consolation subscriptions secured by me be forwarded in the usual manner? Am I prohibited from securing books, booklets and service territory through the Company? Does the fact that I am not to be 'tolerated' mean that I am prohibited from attending study or service even though not participating therein?"

• irondork
    irondork

Reading over these items I keep wondering how much this man must endure before reaching the point of complete exasperation and just walking away. Then I remember how much crap I took, all the while trying desperately to hang on to the belief that I was in The Truth and I must demonstrate my loyalty to God's organization no matter how evil some of it's representatives behaved.

My personal circumstances came nowhere near what Moyle went through, but I remember quite vividly how he must have felt.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The second missive confirming Moyle's disfellowshipping:

#62:
    Zone servant Elmar McDaniel and C. H. Ellison to Olin R. Moyle, 21 March 1940
    : "The servants of the Milwaukee company of Jehovah's witnesses pointed out to the company servant and zone servant that it was our duty to notify O. R. Moyle that he did not have the privileges as a publisher for the Theocracy. Therefore this is notice that you will be refused all privileges such as literature and equipment assignments to territory, back calls and any others that are enjoyed by a publisher for the Theocracy."

• Satanus
    Satanus

'the Theocracy'

Talk about delusion of power. You don't hear this bit of rutherfordian propaganda any more.

S

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

The power is no delusion, Satanus. As Moyle's example shows, the ability to cut off individuals from the group is all too real.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think the most obvious thing one can pull out of this story is that Rutherford did not like to be exposed particularly in the way Moyle had done,

toward to his personal lifestyle and the way he acted toward other people working around him at HQ.

This is the thing that got him sacked .

Rutherford seemed to like operating with complete unrestrained control over anyone who was within the organization.

Considering that he struggled with other people who didn't want him as acting president of the WTS., he most likely was paranoid about people

ta talking about him behind his back , he wasn't going to let someone with observant eyes and mouth to speak up about his improprieties or ruin

what he had achieved for himself.

Instead of personally approaching the concerns and complaints of what Moyle was complaining about, he thought it was just easier to

extenuate his power and authority and get rid of the man. Rutherford demanded complete subservient control upon people under him,

much like a king lording over his own personal kingdom. A true ruling judge and executioner .

The power and the money of the WTS. availed him to accomplish this feat.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Oh, I don't know if I'd agree...

For one, Moyle wasn't "sacked": he resigned.

Seems like his letter caught Rutherford off-guard, as if was a hasty decision, where the pressure had been building up by being bottled. Whether there was prior bad-blood between them or not isn't clear, but it seems like Rutherford wasn't trying to cover-up the allegations, as why would he read the resignation letter in front of the entire Bethel family? That factor alone suggests that Rutherford was probably mystified and even insulted that Moyle didn't discuss it in person (as the Bible advises), but decided to leash out while running away.

I'm actually leaning towards Moyle getting a bit seduced by the allure of power, and letting the lines between theocracy and his obligations as a lawyer get blurred; he probably fancied himself as rightful heir to Rutherdord's throne, and was shocked by the treatment he got as he under-estimated the blow-back he'd receive. Based on his actions in this matter, it's probably not surprising that he likely wasn't considered as a contender to the throne.

It's interesting to note the Moyle went on to form a cult which he headed up but probably died out (check the Wikipedia page for details). Just sayin', no one comes out free of mud once the mudslinging begins.

All just speculation, of course; no way to know for sure.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Ironic when you think about the fact that Moyle was disbanded from the WTS. for telling " The Truth "

KS, I came to the conclusion that he still wanted to remain within the organization even though he officially stepped down from doing any legal work

but the Judge threw the hammer at him and gave him the boot.

My perception only.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Gooood grief...

and I'm only on page 1...

One reads of Rutherford's explosive temper, his vicious and belittling attitudes towards his underlings, his misogyny towards women - but nothing drives it home like reading this testimony by eyewitnesses.

I'm constantly amazed that Mr. Moyle continues to believe that such a diseased organization that allows such a nasty despot to rule, could somehow be "da troof". If I had been there, I would have marched out at my first opportunity and would have declared Rutherford and his little cult to be of the most 'satanic' origins possible!!!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Interesting...

Here on page #3, Leolaia's posts #17357 and 17358, one sees what is perhaps the beginnings of the current Watchtower corporation's hard-hearted and fearful attitudes towards honest questioners - and honest questions... [some bold is mine...]

..."#25
    J. F. Rutherford to zone servant Harvey H. Fink, 19 Sept. 1939
    : "Your action in this matter is entirely out of the line of your duty. The Board of Directors and the Family heard the matter and all were of the opinion that Moyle had made not only false statements, but statements in that letter that was a libel on the entire Family and upon the organization....
    It is much better for you to let the Board of Directors to decide the matter rather than for you to decide it....That his letter is false ought to be sufficient and that the entire Family here have decided it is false, of itself would be sufficient to show unfaithfulness.... [bold mine]

[In other words, don't attempt to determine for yourself whether Moyle's letter contained valid criticisms, or is even an honest assessment of the situation; let yourself be guided by US ALONE. How dare you read that letter!!!?!]

If you fully endorse Moyle's action please let me know immediately. You are either for the Watchtower or you are not. I wish you to state positively and I wish to know whether or not you are going to represent the Society or attempt to cause disturbance amongst the brethren"." [bold mine]

That statement, "You are either for the Watchtower or you are not.", smacks of an arrogant 'us-against-them', black-and-white thinking that allows no compromise and brooks no opposition.

And then note how Fisk had to point out that the "Christian" attitude would be of gentle correction and forgiveness, not harsh castigation:

..."#26
    Zone servant Harvey H. Fink to J. F. Rutherford, 21 Sept. 1939
    : "At no time has Moyle's letter to you been read to any company and outside of myself I know of no other person, except my wife, who has read his letter. .... However I took the attitude that even if Bro. Moyle was 100% wrong in what happened at Brooklyn, it was my Christian duty to help him as I could as long as he was now willing to do right, serve the Lord, and did not stir up trouble among the friends, thereby doing harm to the Lord's organization. " [bold in text mine]

Wow...

It is just amazing to see how that behavior pattern and attitudes have been preserved in the Watchtower Society's culture, social and political structure down to this day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit