Does the Watchtower really parallel 1st Century Christianity?

by Emery 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• VM44
    VM44

"First century Christians acknowledged the importance of the Divine Name as did Jezus = same with JWs"

Is that true?

The Divine Name does not appear in the Greek Scriptures.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

1) First Century Christians did have Holy Spirit.

2) "Sisters" could "Prophecy" [Acts 21.9]

3) The Apostle Paul did not want to be a "Master over their faith" [ 2 Cor 1.24 ] He did not want to regulate every little thing because they answered to Jesus, not him

4) The leaders of the first century church did not make unwise predictions that failed. If any in the congregations were doing so, the epistles warned them against doing so.

5) First century church leaders may have had personal shortcomings, but what they taught was spot on accurate . J W's use the personal things as an excuse for doctrinal error and revision.

I could go on...

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Recovery, please wake up. No clergy/laity class??? Are there ever any dinners for the auxillary pioneers organized by Elders wives? How about the CO visit when the auxillary pioneers can only stay for half of the " pioneer " meeting? What secrets must be revealed during that next 15 minutes!!! Oh, don't forget you do not qualify to read the Shepherd book. The Elders are at a higher level spiritually than publishers. Give us a break. Jw's hated by the entire world, not true. Very few have ever been persecuted although they believe every little slight is persecution. I couldn't get a job because I had to go to all 3 days of the convention, I was persecuted!! Hey chuckles, here is an idea, make up a day on another weekend. Most bosses will let you do that, because " worldly " people are pretty reasonable sometimes. If you are sinning and you are slapped, it's your fault, it's not persecution. If you disrespect the superior authorities and are punished, it's your fault. Rutherford disrespected the authorities, and poor JW's followed suit and were hurt. I bet very few were ever really persecuted for being a " Christian". The JW's needlessly martyr themselves and call it persecution. None of them are facing death today for being loyal to Christ. Pagan concepts, I will give you that one, but the ones you mentioned have been disregarded for centuries by many Christians, not just dubs, but you know that. Oh, don't forget that the JW's WERE using pagan symbols and celebrating Christmas when they were supposedly chosen as the ONLY approved channel in 1919. The Divine name? We don't even know how to pronounce it. If it was that important it would have been preserved with no doubt of how to say it. Worshipping in spirit and truth is what matters, and JW's do NOT do that. They don't even believe God's word at James 1:26,27. Annointed? All Christians should partake, end of story. Elders and ministerial servant did exist, but the positions today do not parallel the first century. Do yourself a favor. Go to some antique stores and find a Strong's concordance, or go on-line and see what an " Elder " was. By the way in the new WT lesson the Hebrew word for running to and fro seeking knowledge is not even mentioned, why? Because they use it improperly to support thier theology. Get a concordance bro!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Blues brother said " I could go on..." . Please do!!

• Recovery
    Recovery

Datadog seems to think that an extra 30 minutes with the CO or private elders meeting in somehow equivocal to a clergy/laity class. And they said JWs have no reasoning ability.

• Recovery
    Recovery

For the record I have been a pioneer for many years. And there is no "secret information" given to pioneers or elders. It can all be found in various WT publications.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Good answer. So why the distinctions, IF it is all from the Bible, Mr. Reasoning Mc WT Quoter with no Concordance? Hmmmm????

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

For the record I have been a pioneer for many years. And there is no "secret information" given to pioneers or elders. It can all be found in various WT publications.

besides the policy letters that instruct elders to call the legal dept. in all cases of pedophilia. I don't see that backed up in the bible and most R&F are not aware of that policy.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Recovery edited comments: ‘ First century Christians removed unrepentant sinners from the congregation = so do JWs

1st century Christians submitted to the instructions of the governing body = so do JWs

1st century Christians did not get involved in politics/worldly affairs= neither do JWs

1st century Christians proclaimed the urgency of the times = so do JWs

1 st century Christians didn’t go beyond the things that are written. (1 Cor 4:6) WT does!

1 st century Christians were givers, charitable and generous. WT are takers and stingy.

1st century Christians didn’t have massive land holdings. WT does.

1 st century Christians didn’t have any other Holy writings but the Hebrew & Greek scriptures. WT has the Watchtower and Awake magazines, books, brochures, tracks etc. etc. etc. with updates, revisions, errors etc. etc. etc.

1 st century Christians had generations. WT has over-lapping generations.

1 st century Christians didn’t have dates. WT has 1874, 1914, 1918, 1925, 1975 etc. etc. etc.

1 st century Christians were family oriented. WT has on the rise-divorces, separations, fatherless and motherless (abandoned) children.

1st century Christian teachings saved lives. WT teachings takes lives.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

I am sure First Century Christians would not have tolerated or protected pedophiles. They would not have taken out membership of a political organization in order to use its library.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit