Did Russell Believe Anything Witnesses Do Now?

by konceptual99 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

This weeks WT study got me thinking as to if there was anything major that pre 1914 Bible Students believed that would be accepted by modern day Witness.

As far as I can tell, they throught:

1 - The last days had started in 1799

2 - Christ's presence had stated in 1874

3 - The end of the world was coming in 1914

4 - Christmas was OK

5 - Birthdays were OK

6 - Smoking was OK

7 - No view on the generation

8 - No idea of the great crowd and therefore no distinction between two classes of people

9 - No acceptance of an earthly paradise

10 - Door to door work not pushed

11 - Revelation view completely different

12 - Daniel image view completely different

13 - Acceptance of pyramidology in the working out of bible prophecy

They had no view on blood transfusions as (I assume) it was not a known/common practice.

OK, sexual immorality would be and still is a no no but that's not a unique teaching. I guess they had the same view on hellfire, the trinity and immortality of the soul as a modern day witness. Having said that I think (happy to be corrected) that was similar to the Adventists.

I don't know what they thought about 6 day creation - but my guess is that they probably thought it was a literal 6 day event.

So... if I am correct on these things AND not much changed to 1918 then pretty much nothing of prophetic significance is common. If I went back to his teachings at the time Christ apparently OKed the WT as the F&DS then I would be DF'ed as an apostate. By my reckoning I would have to have go to somewhere around the mid 40's before all the above items come close to resembling what a modern day witness would accept and even then there are differences.

Am I even close to being correct?

• Fernando
    Fernando

Not sure about this one, but a good question and observation certainly.

Wouldn't it be funny if it is all completely different today, yet dubs still put the apostate Pastor on a pedestal...

• Emery
    Emery

The non-belief in a Trinity and Hellfire. The one thing Ive always liked about Russell was that he believed God wouldn't destroy people due to their ignorance.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

As I understand it however, non-belief in hell and immortality of soul were Adventist teachings that Russell carried over. I'm not sure where he got the idea about no trinity.

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

None of Russell's prophetic interpretation has been carried forward to the JWs, with the single exception of the interpetation of the 70 weeks of Daniel 9 leading to Christ. That, however, was not unique to Russell.

Otherwise as Emery says, it's just Trinity and Hell. And then the basics which one way or another are common to all Christian belief systems.

RobC

• smmcroberts
    smmcroberts

Also (and probably most important): That the Watchtower publications MUST be read to understand the Bible properly.

• Think About It
    Think About It

I haven't done the research, but I would think that only Russell's teachings of no Trinity, no Hellfire & soul sleep remain as core doctrines of JW theology. There may be others...idk. You can add to your list above that Russell believed in the Cross.

• Emery
    Emery

@smmcroberts, Yes sir you are correct.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I can also add beards were OK to my list...

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

Russell ,didn't take him much time to start calling himself the angel of Laodicia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit