Watchtower teachings on the length of human existence.

by free @ last 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• free @ last
    free @ last

Anyone know the current WT teachings on the length of time humans have been in existence? Do they still teach that the first man and woman were created approximately 6,000 years ago? Have they made any comments on archeological findings that show Paleo-Indians living in the America's 10,000+ years ago? Just curious about how they rationalize the evidence if they've ever made an attempt.

F@L

• elderelite
    elderelite

ROTFL!!!!! they are locked into 6,000 years my friend. They cannot go back on that.

However, they dont currently claim the earth is "new", they are allowing for "untold eons" of time before man was created.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Yep, still only 6k years since man got here!

I'm not aware of anything specifically addressing any archeological evidence. Usually its just a drive by assertion that "carbon dating is unreliable" and stuff like that.

Stuff like this is why they keep hammering away at higher education. Can't have the troops finding out they lie about science.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Now that I read EE's post, I am reminded why they cling to that 6,000 year number.

Because that's when the talking snake fooled those naked people into eating the forbidden fruit!

And Jehovah had to just let it go so that his name could be sanctified. Or is it vidicated this month?

Sometimes I'm so pissed that this religious fraud continues on, sometimes I just find it sad.

• loosie
    loosie

Yep last I heard it 6000 years ago. And the scientists that say people were alive longer ago than that are being taught by satan the deebil.

• Kudra
    Kudra

One of their "radiocarbon dating is unreliable" quotes was about *dinosaurs* I believe... lol.

I'd be interested in what they officially have to say about human origins. There is NO way they can refute civilizations existing thousands of years before "creation".

Paleontology, archeology, anthropology, history... all using *separate* sorts of science, arrive at the same conclusions... how inconvenient for the JWs.

• jam
    jam

Isn,t this the belief of all religions? If they believe in the Bible and

Adam was the first man and counting back, you get 6000-7000

yrs. I found out the most believers don,t realize or don,t make

the connection. Ask a believer, "how old is mankind". Most will

say tens of thousand of years, not realizing that contradict

the Bible.

• steve2
    steve2
    Isn,t this the belief of all religions? If they believe in the Bible and
    Adam was the first man and counting back, you get 6000-7000
    yrs.

The JWs cannot claim exclusivity with their embarrassingly ignorant chronology of human existence. I kind of think they are probably "comforted" by the ardent literalist arguments of other groups (e.g., "see, we're not alone in our belief of 6,000 years of human existence). Misery loves company.

The 6,000 year doctrine is the arch mainstay of fundamentalist churches and of a few who "should" know better such as the Seventh-Day Adventists.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Even Mormons, who as a whole seem to be "educated", have truly bizarre beliefs about human history. I think they believe that America was settled by the Jews (somehow ?), not via the Bering Strait by Asians.

• barry
    barry

In the 17 century Uusher calculated the earth was 6000 years old also in the same century Lightfoot caculated Adam was created at 9am on friday morning.

The cronology when using the septuagent translation of the bible made the earth 1500 years older and was rejected. Barry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit