Help Me Understand - Electoral Votes

by Sam Whiskey 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

If you don't vote, you have no say. Others will determine the result. The few people who are ardent party supporters will determine the election. The one issue crowd will have more power than you did. Besides the presidential selection, the down party candidates are just as important. Neither Romney nor Obama can accomplish their agenda that they are promoting in commercails if Congress is controlled by the other party. Until I studied state law in law school, I have no idea how the most basic items are determined at the state level.

I also think that voting indicates a world view and life style choice. Voters tend to be doers in general. The mere act of voting represents a lot. You believe the process is important. Powerful lobbies have an extraordinary influence on public policy and the definitioin of issues. Clearly, this is a valid right. Unless individuals become involved, there is little curb on their influence. Even if my vote is only symbolic, it has meaning. When I talk to friends about their bureacratic or legal problelms, those unwilling to write to corporate offices or government agencies, are unlikely to get what they want. Passivity or the JW neutrality take makes us victims. My personal voice is just as important as the voice of anyone else.

Across the world, activists are tortured, imprisoned, or murdered fighting for the right to vote and fair elections. Voting is viewed as a birth right here. I agree that the candidates present no meaningful difference in the long run. People should be precluded from complaining unless they vote.

Don't participate in politics at all and you will certainly have no voice and end up with little.

• NewChapter
  • NewChapter
  • NewChapter
    NewChapter

Romney supporters are also working hard to get out the vote, and protect us from a thousand day of darkness!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e53bDcj7JwY

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Thousand Days of Darkness. Is that a new Chuck Norris movie?

• NewChapter
  • NewChapter
    NewChapter

I don't know why the chuck norris vid comes up twice---I can't even edit it. it must be holy spirit!

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Thousand Days of Darkness. Is that a new Chuck Norris movie?

No. That's what Chuck and his wife are prophesying if we don't put God into the government and elect Romney. the vid is aimed at evangelical chrisitans.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Here is a favorite get out the vote vid of mine----another Armegeddon style---but way more dramatic than 1000 days of darkeness. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfXNVhU2EfM

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

BTW---it's outdated. It ran for the 2010 elections, and a much shorter version of it used to show on my televison. Made me giggle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit