Is the midweek meeting the new bookstudy in regards to attendance?

by solomon 25 Replies latest jw friends

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I had forgotten about written review. I actually enjoyed that meeting the most - but youi are right, Blondie, most people hated it. From what I recall the book study was always well-attended at our hall. I think things started to decline when we did the Revelation book for the second time.

When I was a kid our meetings were always on Friday night, so no school issues. But it was the best TV night, plus that's when they had all kinds of activities older kids enjoyed - which is probably why they did it that way.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I agree with what Blondie said. Book study used to be fun, but then the books at least pretended to be indepth Bible studies.

From all the descriptions I read on the net going to meeting sounds like being no where at all for a couple of hours.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Our congregation was/is the opposite from what others are saying about the book study. It was always had less attendance than than the other meetings, swinging at around 80%. The Service Meeting and Congregation Bible Study is swinging around the same now, where our Sunday meeting is ranging anywhere from 90 to 100%.

Me personally, I hated the old book study arrangement. Hated getting off of work, and getting dressed up to go sit in some hot apartment or cramped room in a house. Or in the winter, gettting off work and wanting to stay home and cozy, but having to get dressed up again to sit somewhere for an hour discussing the most boring material. Psychologically it messed with me too because I knew we'd have another meeting either the following night, or two nights later depending on our situation with sharing the hall with another congregation or two. I'm glad they combined the book study with the school. Now if only they'd get rid of the midweek meeting entirely, especially since the service meeting is useless considering we're largely wasting our time out when out in field service.

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

Speaking as a failed study, the book study always struck me as an exercise in utter banality. What's the point of it? Sitting there with your arse going numb whilst someone reads a paragraph or two of clumsily worded assinine drivel, then listening as someone quacks back what they've just heard. Why? To prove they've managed to stay awake thus far? Trudging through some monotonous tome, two or three pages at a time, ad nauseam. In what universe is this considered studious?

As for the TMS, the demonstrations always seemed hopelessly optimistic. Why is every "householder" so co-operative, so willing to start a study, etc, etc. Just once I wish they'd injected a little realism, and had them tell the dub to "go forth, increase and multiply" (or words to that effect).

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    As for the TMS, the demonstrations always seemed hopelessly optimistic. Why is every "householder" so co-operative, so willing to start a study, etc, etc. Just once I wish they'd injected a little realism, and had them tell the dub to "go forth, increase and multiply" (or words to that effect).

Exactly!!!!!!!!!! Hopelessly optimistic, unrealistic, naive, etc.!!!

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

It's the kids I really sympathise with. Dragged out on a school night, forced to dress up like shop window dummies and made to sit through this excreta. My local herd of dubs didn't finish their borefest until 9pm most weeks, then another half hour of gossip, before they even think about going home. How is a pre-schooler supposed to handle this? Even the older kids, it can't be doing them any favours. Yet they still get dragged along, often literally, by parents desperate to show how "spiritual" they are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit