The results so far - three months remaining for the 2012 survey...

by cedars 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

I mentioned recently about the 2012 JW Survey, and how we are falling behind with the number of votes in comparison with last year.

You may remember that, in response to this situation, I uploaded the following video to YouTube in an attempt to garner more votes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WPcGclxQdA

You'll be pleased to know that, in the four days following the launch of this video, the survey received 76 new votes - boosting the total number from 936 to 1,012.

It's great to see that the video has had such a good response. At the current rate (19 votes per day) we would surpass 2,700 votes by the end of the year - not a mind-blowing number but a great sample nonetheless.

After chatting with Juan Viejo2, we both decided it would be good to post an article on the website letting people know the results of the survey so far.

Here is the link...

http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/the-time-left-is-reduced-your-2012-survey-needs-you-2

I've broken down some of the more eye-catching results more comprehensively in the article, but here are a few tasty statistics for you to chew on...

• 58% of the active publishers* object to all forms of shunning
    • 80% of the active publishers* don't think elders are appointed by holy spirit
    • 80% of the active publishers* know (or have heard of) a Jehovah's Witness who has committed or attempted suicide
    • 85% of the active publishers* do not feel free to voice a difference of opinion
    • 37% of the active publishers* would secretly accept treatment with blood if life was at stake

• 50% of the serving elders* regret a decision they arrived at on a judicial committee
    • 32% of the serving elders* consider themselves "secret apostates"
    • 41% of the serving elders* claim an "ambition to succeed" is a motivating factor
    • 68% of the serving elders* do not believe elders are appointed by holy spirit
    • 73% of the serving elders* have themselves been the subject of a judicial committee

• 3 of the 11 anointed remnant* "just know" they are going to heaven
    • 2 of the 11 anointed remnant* claim to have had a dream or vision revealing their heavenly calling
    • 7 of the 11 anointed remnant* say they do NOT give the Governing Body permission to be their representatives
    • 3 of the 11 anointed remnant* consider themselves to be "secret apostates"
    • 9 of the 11 anointed remnant* believe some apostates may have legitimate concerns

• 32% of the inactive ones* have once been ministerial servants
    • 20% of the inactive ones* still consider themselves to be of the "Great Crowd" (earthly hope)
    • 73% of the inactive ones* said that it was discovering the real truth about the organization that prompted them to leave
    • 84% of the inactive ones* would leave the organization if shunning were abolished
    • 64% of the inactive ones* no longer attend the memorial
    • 73% of the inactive ones* experience "pre-emptive shunning"
    • 59% of the inactive ones* have experienced family/marital problems due to their decision to fade
    • 50% of the inactive ones* would openly accept all forms of treatment with blood

• 33% of the DFd / DAd ones* claim to be former regular pioneers
    • 28% of the DFd / DAd ones* claim they were disfellowshipped for immorality
    • 93% of the DFd / DAd ones* said they are happier since leaving
    • 92% of the DFd / DAd ones* said they would not seek reinstatement
    • 74% of the DFd / DAd ones* said they are shunned by JW family members
    • 18% of the DFd / DAd ones* now claim to be atheist
    • 58% of the DFd / DAd ones* said they have nothing against JWs but would like to see the Society dissolved
    • 3% of the DFd / DAd ones* said they would like to draw off JW followers after themselves

• 8% of the unbaptized ones* are romantically involved with a JW
    • 65% of the unbaptized ones* believe JWs are in a cult
    • 2% of the unbaptized ones* would like to become a JW

*those claiming to be

As many of you will know, the final question in the survey asks which JW beliefs and practices you disagree with most. Interestingly, the top three most contentious teachings have so far remained the same from the 2011 survey, namely (1) higher education, (2) shunning, and (3) the treatment of pedophilia as a judicial matter rather than a crime.

Obviously, if you haven't yet taken part in the survey, then I would urge you to do so! Here is the link...

http://jwsurvey.org/global-surveys/2012-global-survey/2012-global-survey-category

If there's anything you can do personally to help promote the survey, such as emailing friends or making your own YouTube videos, I would be extremely thankful!

All that remains is to thank all those who have taken part so far, and all those who will do so over the final three months!

Cheers everyone,

Cedars

• whathappened
    whathappened

DearCedars,

I thank you for posting these results...very interesting. I encourage anyone who hasn't taken the jw survey to do so. It doesn't take but a few minutes and the rest of the website is worth a look also.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Hi Cedars,

Look at this.

I think, you would classify people based on what religion they are and as is in the world, ie, catholics, protestants, etc. How about me who is a catholic but was a former JW? where would I belong on this question?

How would you describe your current beliefs? (tick whichever applies)

• I am now an agnostic
    • I am now an atheist
    • I am a Christian, and I believe that to be saved one must be "born again"
    • I continue to share the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses
    • I am now a member of a non-Christian faith
    • I don't believe in anything
  • cedars
    cedars

Hi Scott77, yes this is one of the questions I'm anxious to change on the 2013 "re-boot". It should have been obvious at the time that not all non-JW Christians will consider themselves as "born again" (Maybe some Catholics do? I don't know). I guess the only option is to not answer the question if non of the options fit this time round.

I do apologize about that. Rest assured, it will be fixed for next year!

Cedars

• Scott77
    Scott77

Cedars, you have a PM

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thanks for sharing these findings, cedars. Some of the features that stand out to me are that 73% of serving elders have themselves faced a judicial committee and 50% have regrets about a decision they rendered while serving on a judicial committee. I don’t what, if any, correlation can be drawn between these two facts, but I would say that both of them damn the entire arrangement in my mind. I wonder how anyone who has faced a judicial committee could then serve on one. But then I remember the chairman of my judicial committee had himself been disfellowshipped in the past. Go figure.

Another finding of interest was that more than 90% of those DF’d/DA’d said they were happier now they were out and had no intention of ever returning. That is certainly my situation. But after meeting a former elder last week who is laboring to return after being out for nine years, I can’t help but wonder what his mental and emotional state is that he would willingly submit himself to WTS abuse again. In the end, this quote from Barbara Tuchman sums up my attitude toward the WTS and all its works:

“But once divinity of doctrine has been questioned there is no return to perfect faith.”

—Barbara Tuchman, The Guns of August

Quendi

• Quendi
    Quendi

I think it also might be good to ask respondents if they still share some beliefs with Jehovah’s Witnesses. I am one of those, but I also do not believe I am a “born again” Christian. There are many nuances that could be explored, but I wanted to suggest this one.

Quendi

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

A very well done survey and site.

• dgp
    dgp

Bookmarked.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

Scott77 - I've replied!

Quendi - I'm glad you find the results interesting. I'm sure many of the statistics will resonate with disfellowshipped ones. After all, statistics like 90% being happier once disfellowshipped indicate a considerable consensus. If nothing else, it's nice to know you're not alone in feeling that way.

I will be adding a wider choice of "Christian" faiths to the next survey, as it's already been pointed out that my options for this question were too restricted.

Interestingly I DID have an option for DFd / DAd ones who still share JW beliefs, and 4% said that they do! This is probably the same 4% who ticked that they still agree with all of the Society's teachings and practices (on the final question), so it's good to know they are voting consistently.

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit