Why are people burning their city to the ground in Baltimore? How doe Looting and Mob Violence Help?

by PokerPlayerPhil 184 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon
    But...that is racism. Stereotyping someone because of their race/ethnicity is racism

No, it's steryotyping. Racism is treating people differently because of their color or thinking less of them because of their color.

If you treat people badly because they are poor and they happen to be black then you are not racist. But if you use their poverty as an excuse to treat black people badly then you are.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    A distinction without a difference. For all intents and purposes, it's racism.
  • Simon
    Simon
    A distinction without a difference. For all intents and purposes, it's racism.

No, it's a very, very important difference.

Replace 'poor' with some other grouping and meanings can change dramatically if you still want it to be race instead of the group as the cause of something.

It's especially problematic if "criminal" is the grouping. You have people who then believe that the police arresting a black man for committing a crime is racism.

It also prevents people seeing that yes, the police may treat poor white people and poor latino people badly too which dramatically changes the dynamic - the problem is not with the group or the community but with the policing. When it's made about "black communities" then they inevitably become the focus which I don't think helps change policies or attitudes as easily.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just describing the situation as I see it.

We all make judgments about people based on appearance and our prior experiences. It's "wrong" but part of our species survival instinct.

The police should ideally treat everyone 100% the same but it's naive to believe that someone dressed in a smart suit will be treated the same as a shirtless bum. Based on their experience the two will likely behave differently. Of course the shirtless bum maybe a millionaire and the smart suit maybe rented but usually there is some basis for the attitude.

The attitudes also work the other way - is it fair to judge all police offices just based on their wearing of a uniform?

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    White people are notoriously bad at discerning class or potential threat by the way black folks dress. If you're black, you're suspect. It's the overriding consideration in any encounter with a black person. And, I say this as a white American, "tattling" on those other white folks around me. A black man in a suit is, first and foremost, a black man.
  • Terry
    Terry

There is a huge difference between a cause and its effect calling for proportional action, and a pretext.

A PRETEXT is the reason given in justification of a course of action that is not the real reason.

If there is a wrong to be righted, then the goal is to right the wrong--not create new wrongs.

But, if the goal is to act out and punish indiscriminately, the pretext is merely the excuse.

These communities suffering mob violence are communities without social boundaries, personal respect, or genuine human solidarity. Anarchy finds its birth in the breakdown of social norms beginning with FAMILY.

Broken families without boundaries are chaotic and breed chaos.

End of story.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    I would disagree on the "genuine human solidarity" part. Maybe the national media didnt pay attention, but the day after the riot, hundreds of neighbors and city residents came out and personally cleaned up the mess. They didn't wait for the taxpayer funded city of Baltimore Public Works department to do it. These people care about their city and their neighborhood and are willing to work together to clean up other people's mess.
  • Simon
    Simon
    A black man in a suit is, first and foremost, a black man.

I disagree. I think the way most people react to someone dressed smartly and acting socially vs scruffy with attitude is all about appearance and rarely about color whatever color they are.

• paulmolark
    paulmolark

Terry is right. These people are uncontrolled animals who lack morals.

gray got what we coming to him

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    Simon, have you ever been to the US? Because what you say seems to make a lot of sense in the abstract, but just doesn't represent the reality of life in here America.
  • paulmolark
    paulmolark

this reminds me of the experiment of sending out two exact resumes over a period of 4 years or so. One had the name Dante Williams a common black name the other Donald Williams. Dinald williams received 50% more calls although everything was exactly the same.

In in the issue black people have a stigma that is not made up this is known by most people and experienced by many black people daily yet somehow someone with no experience of life in the USA somehow always knows better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit