Watchtower says Dos and Don'ts are out

by ozziepost 25 Replies latest jw friends

• TR
    TR

WOW. Doublespeak at it's finest.

TR- UADNA

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
    --Robert Frost, 1935

• bjc2012
    bjc2012
    "Following Bible principles, we will avoid trying to live (or demand others to live) by an extensive and rigid set of dos and don'ts that go beyond the teachings of the Bible." (The Watchtower - issue of April 15,2002, page 22, para 15)

This, I believe, is the way the above statement is meant to be understood:

"Following Bible principles, you, the rank and file, will avoid trying to set extensive and rigid rules of dos and don'ts that go beyond the teachings of the Bible for yourselves and others to live by, as that is our, your leadership's, prerogative."

bjc

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

The "we" in that article obviously only applies to the R&F. They don't want them applying do's and don'ts on each other.

Remember, as an elder once told me, "to properly understand the Watchtower, you need to read between the lines."

The article looks to me like they, the GB, are getting ready to clamp down even harder on the poor saps who can't think for themselves.

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• AvailableLight
    AvailableLight

Oz,

Was this in a study article?

• Imbue
    Imbue
    Among the latest instructions to the rank and file Witnesses is this one:
    "Following Bible principles, we will avoid trying to live (or demand others to live) by an extensive and rigid set of dos and don'ts that go beyond the teachings of the Bible." (The Watchtower - issue of April 15,2002, page 22, para 15)

It's anticipated that scores of rules and regulations formerly applied in the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses will be erased.

Ozzie it's so strange that you keep posting subjects I've been discussing for years. I've seen the principle concept being introduced somewhat in the WT instructions but then they revert back to do not do this or do not do that. I think that a list of shoulds and should nots is straight from Babylon The problem is their are so many untreated adult children of alcoholic parents in the JW congs that all they know is how to be harsh and judgmental. It is a sickness.

It's mostly the individuals behavior. I see that many want a list of should/should nots it's the level they are on. An example would be: The Wt society suggests that married couples should not take separate vacations. A sister in the audience writes down DO NOT take separate vacations Is this her fault or has she been conditioned by Babylon inside and out of the org. We're instructed not to rebel or make our own decisions. Men can't even decide whether to have a beard or not. It's up to the local elders.

I do hope principles are the way JWs go it would be cleaning out more of Babylon.

I've even discussed this subject with a WT lawyer in our cong. He's actually not that bad he's advocated for sisters that have been abused in our cong This is my issue with the WT but implementing this into the cong is impossible. They would need to be hit over the head repeatedly

Note my name imbue means principles. After considerable thought and discussion of this subject it was a natural choice.

Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• anewperson
    anewperson

Some of your posts of late seem to offer the idea that there will be true reforms if we only wait.... and wait..... and wait... and wait.

That is not and will not happen. When the skin of an old wine bag is ruined you toss it away for patches won't hold.

• zev
    zev

what a load of cow flappers.

what about all the UNWRITTEN do's and don'ts?

what about the extreme pressure put on its members to conform? to be good lemmings and follow the UNWRITTEN do's and don'ts?

what about what you suffer because of the way your treated as a person who see's it differently, and when you follow your own road, and thoughts, beliefs, practices, what of the way they are instructed, even if it isn't WRITTEN, to treat you?

good thing i wear boots.

the cow flappers are gaining speed and depth.

-Zev
    Learn about the Wtbts and the U.N.
    ** http://www.geocities.com/plowbitch69 **

• Imbue
    Imbue

anewsperson who are you talking to? Me! If you are then you don't have a clue what I think or believe. Get a life please!

I'm a realist I know the WT will go on with or without me. I'm not delusional like someone here.

Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• LDH
    LDH

Isn't this article kind of like "Honest Abe's Used Car Lot?"

If it is the way they say it is, why do they feel the need to state it?

Does this mean that individual JWs will be free to:

SMOKE
    VOTE
    TAKE BLOOD
    CELEBRATE HOLIDAYS

etc etc etc?

HELL NO. This is a *quote* that JWs will show to "interested persons" so that they will SEE!!!! that JWs worship God in SPIT spirit and truth!

Nothing more. This article won't change a damn thing the rank and file JW does.

Lisa

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

they are saying it again?

i can remember in the dim past (i think it may have been about mid-60's, there was a series of WT's and study articles that discussed thinking in terms of the principles and not LAWS..

it suggested that much of life was 'gray' rather than 'black & white'...

looking back, i do not think that r & f understood it, (well? how much study material is actually understood anyway?)...& i doan think that the r & f wqnted to have to think about the principle.

the thinking in principle campaign faailed!

when a WT finally announced the end of that period ( well, not in so many words, but more likely emphasising the role of LAW in the lives of jws) a sister who was a really good friend, and quite capable of thinking for herself, told me - "i'm so glad that's over, and we are going back to black & white things (right and wrong) - it was so difficult to have to think things out."

so really, i think that maybe that's the organisation that many want a controlling one. that's why they stay!

so it's not new light ozzie, just another twist and turn!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit