Update on my parents

by Mulan 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

Hey! We were never that bad as teenagers!

They are all crazy over there[8>]

(((())))
    Princess

• Mulan
    Mulan

One of you kids was pretty bad..........kept us hopping all the time.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

Ha! Laughing!

Mulan, this is incredible. I never would have considered this could happen with your mom. Sometimes life is stranger than fiction.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Luv ya,
    Sean

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

just so long as that's the only drugs your givin them .

So what does your mom say about living with a man she's not married to? that just cracks me up hahahah it's so well kreepy you know
    *fingers in ears *blblblablblablabalbalbalablab

Ven

"deal with it!"

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Mulan,

I'm sorry to post here very late. Please forgive. Actually I think you've given us the nicest post of the week. Many thanks.

I printed out the thread for Mrs Ozzie last night as I knew she'd be very pleased to read it. We can relate to some of the things you guys are experiencing and are so pleased that you're enjoying some positive time with mother after the trauma of previous weeks.

The experience you've shared is very encouraging for so many others. Look at how many have read it! I know you term it a 'soap opera' but it's really just a family story and very well told. It could be any of us, wherever we are. Families by the thousands all around the world are being affected by the bigotry and exclusiveness of the WTS. So I'm so pleased to read your post. I know there are many who will read and think "Hey, that's just like us. It's not just us then".

I'm sure you and David are glad of some normalcy. Unfortunately, we know that it may not last. Messenger has commented "Enjoy the calm, the storm is coming...." He could be right. Once the local elders are 'on' to mother's situation, a visit will be forthcoming. You know what that means! Although you've had nothing to do with them for some time, they will brazenly impose themselves in your life. That's what could be in store. Be strong!

You guys are in our thoughts and prayers.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Mulan,

That is great you are helping. I was just complaining about my MIL on another thread, so I think what you are doing is great.

It is funny how the parents (some) change over the years and the attitudes give way to a nicer person (or a childlike person).

Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes. You should document (or use the board) and perhaps write a book about it. It could help all those other people who are going to deal with this in the next 30 years.

{{{{{Mulan}}}}} I hope I can be like you!

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

Hi Mulan,

I think that you are a saint for the sacrifice and love you are extending to your dear elderly parents. Just taking in one parent is difficult and courageous but you kindly take in both. An extremely loving gesture, to say the least.

I haven't read your full story but I can't imagine the elder's interfering with this arrangement in any way. It seems that they would be too afraid that THEY might have to step in and actually help take care of your Mom if they rocked the boat too much. God forbid they have to put their money where their mouth is and tangibly help an elderly sheep. In their hearts, they know you are doing the right thing and doing the best that you can in a difficult situation although they would probably never admit it. If they have the audacity to question the arrangement that you alone have had to come up with, then let them know that you fully expect them, her christian brother's, to actively help provide a better solution. That ought to keep them off your case! Apostate or no apostate, it's simply none of their damn business.

Wishing you all of the best!
    CC

• Mulan
    Mulan

For Ozzie, Puffsrule, and the others who said such nice things about our situation:
    I feel really good about this, and never would have believed it a few months ago, when things were so bad with the relationship with Mom. She is being very nice, and is SO happy here.

David had suggested she stay here for a week, just to see if she could stand sharing quarters with Dad, but she insisted they would be fine. Yesterday, we were unpacking more of her things, and she said she had no idea he was so bad. By that she means the dementia. Before she moved here, she only saw him about twice a week, for a short visit, but now they are sharing a kitchen, a TV, and a living room. Mom has eyes that are sensitive to light, and Dad is nearly blind, so likes all the lights on all the time.

He is very compulsive, and is irritated at her just being in 'his space', which is kind of amusing really, because he has wanted to remarry her for many years, and was just waiting for Henry to die.

Mom laughs about it, but she has rearranged the cupboards, had us move the microwave oven, and he complains about everything. If they had been married all these years, it would be easier for them to be together, because the changes would have been gradual. Poor Mom. Her husband of 32 years, who died last August, had Alzheimer's disease. Now she is dealing with another one, and she can't control him really. If they had stayed together, they would be married for 66 years this July.

I know eventually, we will have to put Dad in a home of some kind, because he gets angry and even tries to strike out, but I just can't see doing it yet. If he gets to the point where no one can control him or reason with him, that will be a different story. It is just so sad, because he was such an intelligent man, a doctor, and now he is gradually losing all his senses. He is already legally blind, can't hear without his hearing aids, which he doesn't wear very often, so the TV is painfully loud, and can't smell the odors he causes in his bedroom, so fights with me everyday, about changing his sheets, his pajamas, and his night pad (he is incontinent at night) He tries to dry out his night pad, to use more than once. Don't be grossed out folks........this is the real world of the elderly.

As to writing a book: My brother tells me all the time that I need to do that. Both of us are writers, and I may do it someday. Now, I wonder when I would have the time. There are so many other things I would do with my time, if I had some more..........like read my novels, work on my scrapbooks, clean my office (okay, I put that one off), clean the cupboards, and closets, and go to a gym. I always say "someday I will". Thank God, I don't have to go to the KH, or out in the 'service' anymore. That would be a horrendous burden.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• LDH
    LDH

Mulan!!!!

So glad to hear this!

Just make sure you are not burning yourself out. Caring for the elderly is NOT an easy task. Both sets of grandparents lived with us for a while and as teenagers we assisted with every stage of their care, happily and willingly.

I'm glad to hear she's at peace with you, and you with her.

Congrats,
    Lisa

ps--check the thread by Lydia about homeopathic meds, pls

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit