A question for Undercover and others

by tornapart 20 Replies latest social current

• bobld
    bobld

Because we have a brain.

All through life we all try different things.Like Amway, only to find it's a scam.

Some are born into the R.C. and find how bad it is, so they try J.W. only to find how bad it is.

THose born in J.W. land find how bad it is and try something else.We all try different jobs.some we like

others we hate but do it because it puts food on the table.That's life.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Thanks for all your comments guys and your personal experiences. It's amazing how we all start off in the same place and follow our path in all different directions.

At the end of the day, it's what gives us the most happiness that's important. Everyone is different and we all find our own way in that journey of life.

LWT.. sorry, I couldn't get anything when I followed your link..

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

tornapart: Please try it again. This time, it's clickable.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/ingag.htm

• life is to short
  • still thinking
    still thinking

Leavingwt...I love reading Ingersoll...enjoyed the link too...

• undercover
    undercover

So what I'm interested in is what changed your mind and when did it happen?

Having been raised in the so-called "truth", I never really learned to use critical thinking, or to really question authority. Even when I realized that there were issues with the WTS, I didn't just stop believing overnight, as my first posts show. I was trying to rationalize my new found knowledge with the indoctrination. But once I finally got over the indoctrination and started analyzing known facts vs implied, unproven knowledge, the more and more I started to realize that it's not just the WTS that's fantasy. If I held any religion, or even belief in higher powers to the same critique that I held the WTS, then it was clear that it didn't hold up any better.

Like I said, this didn't happen overnight. It was a process...kind of a process of elimination. If this isn't true, what about that. Okay, that doesn't hold up, what about this other thing. This other thing fails as well. In time, it was apparent to me that we, mankind, created God/Allah/Jehovah/whatever, not the other way around.

Not everyone agrees with me and that's fine. We have the right and freedom to worship as we wish (most countries anyway). Until there's definitive proof however, I personally don't accept those mythical gods. I choose to remain footed in reality as much as possible.

• Scott77
    Scott77

bttt

• tornapart
    tornapart

Thanks everyone, some interesting stories. Thanks for the link LWT. Although I still believe myself, I can see where you're all coming from.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Let us be true to ourselves -- true to the facts we know, and let us, above all things, preserve the veracity of our souls.

If there be gods we cannot help them, but we can assist our fellow-men. We cannot love the inconceivable, but we can love wife and child and friend.

We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know. We can tell the truth, and we can enjoy the blessed freedom that the brave have won. We can destroy the monsters of superstition, the hissing snakes of ignorance and fear. We can drive from our minds the frightful things that tear and wound with beak and fang. We can civilize our fellow-men. We can fill our lives with generous deeds, with loving words, with art and song, and all the ecstasies of love. We can flood our years with sunshine -- with the divine climate of kindness, and we can drain to the last drop the golden cup of joy.

-- Robert G. Ingersoll

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Like I said, this didn't happen overnight. It was a process...kind of a process of elimination. If this isn't true, what about that. Okay, that doesn't hold up, what about this other thing. This other thing fails as well. In time, it was apparent to me that we, mankind, created God/Allah/Jehovah/whatever, not the other way around.

Nobody could have said it better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit